Easton axis vs Easton full metal jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
    MuddyFuzzy and others have done a great job giving direction where to start on an arrow build and pros and cons of Axis vs FMJ.

DapperDan...a place to start is by breaking down your current setup into its components and doing the math yourself as to FOC, FPS (done), momentum, etc. and tinker. You might simply achieve what you desire by simply going from a 100gr to 125gr...but then your spine will change (weaken) and you might need to shorten your arrow shaft length...or not. I can shoot 100gr (307 fps) heads and 125gr (297 fps) heads on the Beman Hunter ICS 300 @ 31" to 40yds with only a 4" drop and maintaining a 4" group (not the best not the worst) however I dont try longer distances that you are trying to achieve.

Good luck

So I get confused on spine and knowing if it's too stiff or too weak as well how to check for that? Not to mention I have no idea how to do that math. I'm not a newby on archery. I can shoot. Have always been able to. But I've gotten **** about things as I've gotten older. An example would be buying new arrows and seeing some fletching has more glue than others. Or one fletching isn't quite perfectly set on a perfect helical compared to others. Be it a 16th or 32nd of an inch. It still drives me batty....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't like how easy the FMJ's bend. I went through more FMJ's shooting pigs because they bend then any carbon arrow I've shot pigs with. For the last several years I've been buying cheap carbon arrows from Sportmans guide for $45.00 a dozen but I do have to cut them and put the insert in. To me cutting and putting the insert in is a advantage because it give me the chance to square the ends. I've bought arrows online and from archery shops that didn't square the end before putting the insert in and that can cause flight problems with fixed heads. I also normally can get them for around $35.00 a dozen with the coupon codes they offer. No they are not as straight as the more expensive arrows but in all honesty I can't tell the difference in my shooting and doubt many on here could. I do end up culling a arrow or two out of each dozen that I just can't get to spin right so my fixed blade broadheads don't fly good with those but I use those to shoot targets with field tips or will put a small game head on them and shoot coons and such with them. Some years I go through more then 100 arrows a year so spending $35-40 a dozen saves me a lot of money over the $100+ a dozen arrows and they kill pigs and deer just as good.

Comment

Great thread! I too shot Easton FMJ's, then went to the Deep Six Easton Injexion FMJ's. Unfortunately I was not happy with there performances. Great penetration though. Problem was I could see them fishtailing in flight, hitting where I was aiming, but it didn't seem right. Was shooting 100gr fp's and bh's. I even had them cut real short to stiffen their spine. I am shooting 70lbs with a 29.5 dl. Then I talked to Muddyfuzzy. Do yourself a favor and get you some Muddyfuzzy built Black Eagle arrows. The best arrows I've shot. I've ordered 2 dozen, and about to order another 2 dozen for my wife and daughter's. I've learned a lot from Muddyfuzzy where I am starting to build and play around with different combos. He knows his stuff.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Comment

Axis. Not really a good reason for FMJ. Need a heavier arrow? More spine, brass insert, and heavier head. Hard to get decent FOC out of a FMJ. Axis are also incredibly durable.

Comment

I've shot both arrows and made the switch to Gold Tip Kinetic Pierces. Durable and are micro diameter. FOC is easy to obtain as well.

Comment

Easton axis vs Easton full metal jacket

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
              Sounds like a great plan. Wouldn't know where to start...

Maybe get a software program like Ontarget's Software for Archers and play around to get the specs you want. I believe they still offer a free trial version. It's not 100% accurate but it will give you a place to start before real world testing.

Here's what I'm running:
              Chill X: 60lb / 27.5
              26.5" Axis .340 w75gr insert and broadhead adapter.
              125g Slick Trick Mags
              Nockturnals
              Flex Fletch FP-360's
              Total arrow weight: 505 w205 up front
              17% FOC
              257 fps

No complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw_6 View Post
                Maybe get a software program like Ontarget's Software for Archers and play around to get the specs you want. I believe they still offer a free trial version. It's not 100% accurate but it will give you a place to start before real world testing.

Here's what I'm running:
                Chill X: 60lb / 27.5
                26.5" Axis .340 w75gr insert and broadhead adapter.
                125g Slick Trick Mags
                Nockturnals
                Flex Fletch FP-360's
                Total arrow weight: 505 w205 up front
                17% FOC
                257 fps

No complaints.

Pretty close to what I have setup on my bow as far as specs. I'm not real crazy that my arrow sticks out 3.5 inches past my rest when at full draw... it literally is past my riser and under my sight.

Comment

Working...
                X