No announcement yet.

Paid off one of my student loans...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the positivity gents - I’ve been paying since 2015 but just now getting serious about reducing debt. Plan on getting married within the next year and want to buy a house eventually, the lack of available play money now may kind of be lame, but hoping it pays itself back in the future

Comment

You didnt want to wait to see if Bernie would pay them all off if elected

Congrats man. Im actually making my final payment tomorrow on mine. Both mine and my wife's completely paid off. Going to feel amazing.

Comment

Awesome man! My wife and I are doing the same thing! It's a great feeling when you get them knocked out.

Comment

Awesome job! Not a better feeling financially than paying those darn things off.

I would recommend looking at interest rates as well. Paying off the small ones are great for opening revenue stream short term but once you free up some money and provide breathing room, then tackle the high interest loans. I had 8 different school loans due to a bank liquidating and I tackled my highest monthly payment loan first, then hit the highest interest loan, and finally steam rolled the remaining loans smallest to largest total amount.

Comment

It wasn't a school loan, but while overseas in Japan, I did the same thing with the loans I had (along with getting a part-time job with MWR) and came back to the states doing it for one year in Lejeune and at the end of the roughly 1 year and 9 months or so of doing it I left the military with only 1 loan left to pay.

Of course the overall pay and debt were much smaller than now as an older adult, and probably need to start doing it again to prepare for retirement in 15 years or so, but it definitely worked!

Comment

Working...
            X