Fly Fishing Guide @ Glacier National Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fly Fishing Guide @ Glacier National Park

We decided to go to Glacier National Park at the end of the month and I would like to give fly fishing a try. I see that most of the raft companies offer fishing guides but was wondering if any TBH'ers have used any and could give a recommendation. TIA

Anyone have any recommendations

Comment

No help for glacier but I did trip down the big horn up in Montana in June. It was an amazing trip. sorry I can’t help you with a guide for glacier but I will say def go do the trip you won’t regret it one bit. We did float boat with fisher in front and back and guide in the middle.

Have you fly fished before?

Comment

No personal experience with that area, but a guy up there that I trust recommended Jason Lanier at Big Fork Anglers. They fish the Flathead.

Comment

Originally posted by Knox View Post
          No help for glacier but I did trip down the big horn up in Montana in June. It was an amazing trip. sorry I can’t help you with a guide for glacier but I will say def go do the trip you won’t regret it one bit. We did float boat with fisher in front and back and guide in the middle.

Have you fly fished before?
          No, I have never fly fished before but it is something I have always wanted to do

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
          No personal experience with that area, but a guy up there that I trust recommended Jason Lanier at Big Fork Anglers. They fish the Flathead.
          I will look into him. Thanks for the info. The trips that I have looked into are fishing the Flat river

Comment

I haven't fished with her, but Hilary Hutchinson (outsidehilary on Instagram) is a guide and owns Lary's Fly and Supply in Columbia Falls. She was on the Meateater podcast and sounds like someone I would want to fish with. If you listen to Meateater, she used to work with Ryan Callaghan. I think she mainly runs trips on the Flathead and catches a bunch of native cutthroats, which sounds awesome to me.

She is from the area, so if she is booked she should be able to find a good guide for you.

If I am ever up that way again I would book her for a native cutthroat trip.

I'd let her know you are a beginner so you can start your day with a casting lesson, but don't worry if you suck. You don't really need to be able to cast well to catch fish on a float trip.

Whoever you book, post a review as I would like to go back to that area to fish. Went up there and hiked around Glacier for a few days in 2002. That is just breathtaking country and very rugged.

When we were there the park (late July) was still 80% closed due to late snow fall. But, we did an overnight hike up to Triple Divide Pass. It is the only place in the world where precipitation (or pee in our case) falls and ends up in three different oceans (Pacific, Atlantic, and Arctic).

Get up early one day and drive Going to the Sun Rd. We did a day hike off it to a mountain lake and saw a grizzly and a big darn bull moose.
            Last edited by El General; 08-14-2019, 01:13 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=careybirdwell;14303706]No, I have never fly fished before but it is something I have always wanted to do

You are about to be hooked on another hobby then.. I love using mine here in Texas bass fishing and blue gill etc too. So much fun

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                No, I have never fly fished before but it is something I have always wanted to do

I will look into him. Thanks for the info. The trips that I have looked into are fishing the Flat river

Where are y'all flying into?

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                  Where are y'all flying into?
                  We are flying into Kalispell just southwest of Glacier Nat. Park. We are staying in Whitefish and have planned most stuff out of the West Glacier area

Comment

There's a great fly shop in Whitefish, I bet they can fix you up. Whitefish is a great little town, good bars and restaurants. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                      We are flying into Kalispell just southwest of Glacier Nat. Park. We are staying in Whitefish and have planned most stuff out of the West Glacier area
                      Bringing this back up.

How did your trip go? Any recommendations?

I’m planning a trip for this summer.

Comment

It went fine, I was happy that me & the wife caught a few small trout. We ended up going with just one of the companies that offer rafting also. We took a float trip. We scheduled a half day trip, we spent more time driving up river, laughing, and setting up than we did fishing. That I was a little disappointed in

Comment

Working...
                        X