Durango Colorado Train Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Durango Colorado Train Ride

Durango / Silverton train ride...Who all has done this ? If so...what railcar would you choose if you were doing it again ?
    We will be going on the train is Sept and just wanted a few tips on what we should do.
    I will be dressing in layers for sure.

Thanks in advance !
    Last edited by Stykbow; 08-13-2019, 02:43 PM.

Might be a little cool in the am. That time of year is still flip flop weather most of the time.

Comment

I like the open cars with a top, but have never tried an enclosed one with windows.

Comment

We just went on it a few weeks ago. Definitely go open air car with a top (not sure if there are cars without a top), you will be able to see a lot more. I would suggest one of the ones towards the back. You can get some cool pics of the engine/train going around curves that I don't think you would be able to get right behind the engine.

If only going up the mountain, sit on the right side of the train (passenger side). The views from that side are a lot better. If you are going to ride it back down then it doesn't matter as long as you sit on the same side of the train.

I'm sure the weather will be a little different in September vs early July but I wore shorts and a t-shirt and was never cold. We did take hoodies but never needed them, at least I didn't. It really depends on whether you are cold natured or hot natured (I tend to sweat a lot more than I shiver).

Another tip, especially in open air car, don't wear light colored clothes. There is a lot of soot in the air from the train. It all came out but my khaki shorts had a lot of black on them when we were done. And take eye wear, either sunglasses or safety glasses. The soot does get in your eyes. With that said, I wore my sunglasses about half the time and got a ton of soot in my eyes and it wasn't that big of a deal. The kids complained about it some though.

Have fun, it is worth it.

Comment

Definitely BACK of the train!!!!!!!

Comment

You can take the train one way and take a bus back. You might consider this. If you have kids train both ways.

Comment

Take the train to Soaring Zipline Resort. Did this a couple of years ago and had a great time by all. First class operation and beautiful scenery.

Comment

My coworker just went and they took the 21+ car which is the one in the very back. They loved it. You can get a car with a glass roof and also those with open sides. The lady that was in their car said they sell a lot of blankets to the folks in the open air cars. That’s all I know.

Comment

Same scenery...only do it one direction....open air car and enjoy...
                  Well worth it

Comment

its uphill all the way

here you go
                    Attached Files

Comment

We haven’t done Durango yet, only Leadville and Cripple Creek.

Those were both amazing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1336.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	24588469

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1346.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	24588470

Comment

Haven't done the Durango/Silverton yet but it's on the list. We are looking at going with the Cumbres/Toltec train that runs 64 miles from Chama, NM to Antonio, CO. first.

Comment

Thanks to all for the information !
                          We will definitely try and get a open air car towards the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think we did Silverton about 8 years ago. Girls were bored but I like that kinda stuff.

Comment

I knew old timers that used to ride the train in Durango to their hunting area and it would stop to let them off and then pick them back up when they were finished hunting. Sounds cool!

Comment

Working...
                              X