Part 2-2019 Saltwater Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zztex View Post
    I’m like some of y’all, I love to wade. I’m 62, and have wadefished since I was 16. Never been hit and never worn guards. Maybe just lucky. Don’t think about it. I’ve been a little spooked floundering with all the rays, but never really worried about it
    I'm 60 and been wading the llm since the early 80s. Ive always worn tennis shoes and try to shuffle along the bottom. Never been hit yet.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
      Were a product of "Night Train" I think. .
      I got a lot of luggage, gun cases, and shell bags from there. Right by Petes Fine Meats on Richmond.

You could go chainmail on them, but I would think that could get heavy.
      RingMesh is the strongest welded chain mail on the market! Ring Mesh or chainmail products are 100% stainless steel, light and perfect for LARP or CosPlay, protection, and interior or exterior design use. We carry chainmail armor in the form of chainmail shirts, vests, tunics, Mail hauberks, mail shirts, knee-length hauberks, coifs, mantles, and bracers. We also carry metal mesh gloves for the food processing industry as well as create custom designed chain mail curtains.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
        I primarily fish it by boat these days. I rarely get to wade the surf anymore because I usually have customers with me and it's a rare day that I have customers who will get out of the boat. So I use my trolling motor and anchor and we fish it out of the boat.

OK, fishing the surf is one of my favorite things and has been all my life. I've spent many years watching and waiting for green tides to kiss the sand. And I have been a student of it for 40 years now. I have gotten pretty good at it. I'll pass on a few things for you to think about.

Fish are fish and the same things are important in the surf as in the bay. Water quality, water movement, structure and bait presence are all important. The fish are going to use those things to their advantage. You can use those things to locate fish too. Just keep in mind that structure means different things in different situations. I'm not talking jetties or huge drop offs or shell reefs. I'm talking bars, guts and washes. Also the surf will be loaded with bait, often all bait is not bait to a trout. There may be 10 billion pogies in the surf and the trout are on finger mullet. So being in bait means you need to be in the right bait. And that takes observation to figure out. But in general they are going to eat bait like finger mullet over pogies and big mullet. Or the surf may be full of big white shrimp and they may be on those. If you see big shrimp hopping out of the water regularly... there is a clue. As to structure there are bars and guts paralleling the beachfront and the fish do move up and down those bars and guts. You can pick out any random spot and chances are some trout will swim by and you will catch some and may well even limit out. That is what most people do when they fish the surf. But there are other spots where the fish will stack up and you can literally sit in them and catch fish every cast until you are worn out. Trout tend to concentrate in what I call washes. A wash is a deeper hole that goes thru the sand bars. They are spots where you will see water flowing heavily away from the bank. The swells push water and stack it on the bank. The water must return back out. What happens is you get stretches of beach where there is a longshore current and that current is running down the beach parallel to the shore. It is water looking for a way to get back out to deep water. When it reaches a wash it then turns and goes out away from shore back to deep water. These spots are where you run into a strong undertow and people can drown in them. You have to be careful wading around them. You can go from belly deep to over your head in one step and the current rips through them. So you have a structure change, a hole, and you have strong current, moving water... hmmm... maybe that's a good spot to look for trout. It's like sitting on a food conveyor belt for a trout. The flow washes down the beach and then carries bait out off the bank and into that hole where the trout are waiting. Hit the right wash and you'll catch trout almost every cast.

It'll take time to spot them and there are lots of them. Not every one is going to hold a wad of fish. You have to put all the pieces together. Water quality, current, bait, and the ambush point. Some washes will hold a few fish, some will hold none. When you figure out where they are it's just lights out good. And you can sit there anchored up and just catch and catch until you are tired of catching. It's not unusual for my groups to have 20 or 25 good ones in the box in 15-30 min in that situation and I have seen many grown men put up their rods, sit down and just say "enough" after a couple hours of catching them almost every cast.

Now, one last thing is you have to fish it when it's right. And by right I mean it has to lay down, of course, but it can also go too long and get too clear, When the surf lays you usually have about 3 prime days and then every day after that it continues to clear you end up with more and more sharks, jacks, mackeral and skipjacks up in the surf and less trout. If you get there and you can see the shells on the bottom in 6' of water you are likely going to have a tougher day. So you don't want it too sandy and rough but you don't want it too clear either.

And then there is tide. The higher the tide the closer in they will be. As the tide falls out the fish will drop out deeper as well. So keep that in mind too.

It's just one big puzzle and it takes a little time to learn to read it and understand all the pieces. But it's worth it.

This is excellent information for anyone fishing the surf, kudos to you for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Comment

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
          I got a lot of luggage, gun cases, and shell bags from there. Right by Petes Fine Meats on Richmond.

https://www.ringmesh.com/product-p/sl210.htm
          I could just imagine the verbal torment I would have to endure from my buddies if I strapped on some chainmail chaps before I jumped in to wade. Probably better just getting hit by a sting ray. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
            This is excellent information for anyone fishing the surf, kudos to you for sharing your knowledge and experience.

X2! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post

https://www.ringmesh.com/product-p/sl210.htm

You sure you didn’t get those from the village people?

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
                I primarily fish it by boat these days. I rarely get to wade the surf anymore because I usually have customers with me and it's a rare day that I have customers who will get out of the boat. So I use my trolling motor and anchor and we fish it out of the boat.

OK, fishing the surf is one of my favorite things and has been all my life. I've spent many years watching and waiting for green tides to kiss the sand. And I have been a student of it for 40 years now. I have gotten pretty good at it. I'll pass on a few things for you to think about.

Fish are fish and the same things are important in the surf as in the bay. Water quality, water movement, structure and bait presence are all important. The fish are going to use those things to their advantage. You can use those things to locate fish too. Just keep in mind that structure means different things in different situations. I'm not talking jetties or huge drop offs or shell reefs. I'm talking bars, guts and washes. Also the surf will be loaded with bait, often all bait is not bait to a trout. There may be 10 billion pogies in the surf and the trout are on finger mullet. So being in bait means you need to be in the right bait. And that takes observation to figure out. But in general they are going to eat bait like finger mullet over pogies and big mullet. Or the surf may be full of big white shrimp and they may be on those. If you see big shrimp hopping out of the water regularly... there is a clue. As to structure there are bars and guts paralleling the beachfront and the fish do move up and down those bars and guts. You can pick out any random spot and chances are some trout will swim by and you will catch some and may well even limit out. That is what most people do when they fish the surf. But there are other spots where the fish will stack up and you can literally sit in them and catch fish every cast until you are worn out. Trout tend to concentrate in what I call washes. A wash is a deeper hole that goes thru the sand bars. They are spots where you will see water flowing heavily away from the bank. The swells push water and stack it on the bank. The water must return back out. What happens is you get stretches of beach where there is a longshore current and that current is running down the beach parallel to the shore. It is water looking for a way to get back out to deep water. When it reaches a wash it then turns and goes out away from shore back to deep water. These spots are where you run into a strong undertow and people can drown in them. You have to be careful wading around them. You can go from belly deep to over your head in one step and the current rips through them. So you have a structure change, a hole, and you have strong current, moving water... hmmm... maybe that's a good spot to look for trout. It's like sitting on a food conveyor belt for a trout. The flow washes down the beach and then carries bait out off the bank and into that hole where the trout are waiting. Hit the right wash and you'll catch trout almost every cast.

It'll take time to spot them and there are lots of them. Not every one is going to hold a wad of fish. You have to put all the pieces together. Water quality, current, bait, and the ambush point. Some washes will hold a few fish, some will hold none. When you figure out where they are it's just lights out good. And you can sit there anchored up and just catch and catch until you are tired of catching. It's not unusual for my groups to have 20 or 25 good ones in the box in 15-30 min in that situation and I have seen many grown men put up their rods, sit down and just say "enough" after a couple hours of catching them almost every cast.

Now, one last thing is you have to fish it when it's right. And by right I mean it has to lay down, of course, but it can also go too long and get too clear, When the surf lays you usually have about 3 prime days and then every day after that it continues to clear you end up with more and more sharks, jacks, mackeral and skipjacks up in the surf and less trout. If you get there and you can see the shells on the bottom in 6' of water you are likely going to have a tougher day. So you don't want it too sandy and rough but you don't want it too clear either.

And then there is tide. The higher the tide the closer in they will be. As the tide falls out the fish will drop out deeper as well. So keep that in mind too.

It's just one big puzzle and it takes a little time to learn to read it and understand all the pieces. But it's worth it.
                Excellent write up sir! Your principles follow along with the Tobin's TroutSupport videos only applied to the surf. Still looking for the exact same thing... You could even add in slicks n birds to the mix too. Often times a slick that just seems to be constant is just the sort of thing that will identify a cut in the bars you're looking for... same for birds, though birds often times are jacks/gafftop/smacks, but you'll know that within a cast or two... Again, great write up. Thanks for sharing with this community!

Comment

I think I’ll pick up some of the plastic ones. I have wasted $25 on plenty of other crap. The description says wade fishing.

Comment

Justin, I suggest you get 'em and put 'em on and wear 'em around a bit. Real quick you'll know where you need to trim them. Tin snips cut 'em pretty easy or I used a Dremel tool...

Comment

Sitting at the Soggy Peso wondering what kind of fish I could catch out there .... them painkillers are yummy!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                        Sitting at the Soggy Peso wondering what kind of fish I could catch out there .... them painkillers are yummy!

Sure beats my view...[emoji849] pour one for your homies

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                          Sure beats my view...[emoji849] pour one for your homies

Lol... will do. Where the heck are you?

Comment

Lol... will do. Where the heck are you?

Side gig auto auction.

I almost bought that pearl pink expedition for the next tbh road trip. [emoji1787]

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                              Side gig auto auction.

I almost bought that pearl pink expedition for the next tbh road trip. [emoji1787]

Lol.... you better hang some pink dice from that rear view mirror

Comment

Lol.... you better hang some pink dice from that rear view mirror

Pink skitterwalks!

Comment

Working...
                                X