No announcement yet.

2019 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No garden for me this year. Sold our house in March and the new owners got a great raised bed with a ton of mint and strawberries going crazy.

We did move the lemon tree to the townhouse. It’s looking healthy and lots of leaves but no blossoms yet, I feel like it’s late in spring to not have any flowers. Anyone else seeing this with their citrus? Tree is 4 years old and has always been a good producer

Comment

We planted our first garden ever this year. My 5yr old wanted to plant some corn, so we did it. He helped me the whole way, and planted about half the corn! I was late getting it in, but we now have seven 14' long rows of corn. We also put in a row of okra, and for fun we are growing some loufa & birdhouse gourds. In July we are going to plant some pumpkins in hopes that they will be ready for Halloween.

For those that plant corn, what do you use for pesticide?

Comment

There is a good treatment schedule for earworms using "BT". Here's a YouTube video...
        It works if you do it, but don't miss a treatment...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX7Rv8i_Ocg"]How to Control Ear Worms in Your Corn Using Bt - Bacillus thuringiensis - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Well, we are making our third and final attempt to put in at least some manner of a garden... Still pretty wet, but I was able to make a few rows last evening. Wife will put in plants today and tomorrow. don't have a clue what she intends to plant, but to say we will have a late garden if at all is an understatement...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8620.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	24580083

Even the blackberries were set back this year... two late frosts and too much water has really hurt the canes. Berries are producing but nothing like last year. We picked about 2 1/2 gallons yesterday evening, but as you can see from the pics, there's LOTS of red ones still coming on, and the primo-canes haven't started to bloom yet. Last year, with this variety of thornless blackberry, we had fresh berries for a cobbler at our Thanksgiving dinner! Don't know if they will make that this year though...

Name:	IMG_8623.JPG
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	24580084

Comment

This is my first year growing after composting directly into the gardens all last year and 2 years after adding woodchips and 300 red worms. My plants area growing twice as fast as previously and the soil is rich black, warm and noticeable more healthy. Keep in mind I started with SOLID clay dirt that even the Craftman tiller couldn't scrape an inch off of.

Comment

The only issue I am having at the moments is all my squash and melon leaves are albino white? I have not seen this before. I don't know if its a disease...or lack of something. ( these are not growing in the gardens I speak about above....but just the corner of the yard)

Comment

If I see plants with yellow leaves or leaves not green enough I give them a little dose of chelated iron with epsom salt. May take a couple doses but usually solves problem. Might add a little fish emulsion as well.

Comment

Tomatoes coming along nicely . .

Comment

Good video on the corn Charlie.
                    The last freeze put a whooping on my garden, but most of it came back.

Name:	0C3D9780-5DEB-4EE9-8AB2-AF00F335E6B2.jpg
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	24580266

Comment

Well I guess a side effect of direct garden composting...is rats. I have rats. Time to purchase some Victors.

Comment

Praise the Lord, we have officially planted a "garden"!!! After three attempts to git-er-dun, my bride got maters, squash, cukes, peppers, egg plants, and a couple other things I can't remember planted Wednesday!! Gonna try to plant PH peas Saturday... figg'er it's too late to do corn and I don't even have a spot turned over to put it anyway...
                        When I get back from fishin' I'll try to post up a pic or 2...
                        First thing in the mornin' I'll be hidin' behind the fence (cedar) in hopes of ambushing the dang crows that are already checkin' out the rows for whatever is planted... They got to the corn and peas last year before I got to them, but in the end it didn't end well... If they come in tomorrow morning like they have the last 2 mornings, I'm gonna give 'em some Benelli treatment!

Comment

Name:	IMG_1149.jpg
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	24580272Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1146.jpg
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	24580273Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1141.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	24580274Click image for larger version

Name:	57982934276__9299D4E9-00FC-4C23-8BF8-BFC2513A8A1A.jpg
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	24580275

Onions finally finished up pulled them and potato’s today, I planted 10 pounds of seed potatoes and harvested almost 2 5 gallon buckets full.

We have been picking almost a 5 gallon bucket of green beans every couple days. Tomato’s are looking good waiting on them to turn red!

If anyone in/near San Antonio needs some veggies let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

^^^ Thats awesome. What do you do with all that ? Beautiful

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                              [ATTACH]958163[/ATTACH][ATTACH]958164[/ATTACH][ATTACH]958165[/ATTACH][ATTACH]958166[/ATTACH]

Onions finally finished up pulled them and potato’s today, I planted 10 pounds of seed potatoes and harvested almost 2 5 gallon buckets full.

We have been picking almost a 5 gallon bucket of green beans every couple days. Tomato’s are looking good waiting on them to turn red!

If anyone in/near San Antonio needs some veggies let me know.

Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                                ^^^ Thats awesome. What do you do with all that ? Beautiful

My wife and can and package some for the winter and give the rest to who ever wants it.

Comment

Working...
                                X