No announcement yet.

Edwards/Real Counties Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad to hear the rain is falling out there. I went down the other weekend and was surprised at everything that still had antlers. Figured the elk and sika would have certainly dropped antlers by now. We have been doing a lot of clearing in the oak pastures and going to try out a food plot or three this spring. Have a few spots identified that don't have hardly any rocks.

The protein feeders we added kick ***. Don't have a single picture of coons using them yet which was my biggest fear. They also seem to be holding up to the aoudad and elk just fine. We aren't feeding protein as a means to grow big animals, but more so to attract them and keep them around. It certainly seems to be satisfying those goals.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post

Awesome pics Patton. Is that big boar getting a dirt nap or just laying down and scratching back? Love the pics with all of the aoudad....have to get me a big trophy one some day!

Comment

What was up with that aoudad and the swole up hindquarter?

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
            Awesome pics Patton. Is that big boar getting a dirt nap or just laying down and scratching back? Love the pics with all of the aoudad....have to get me a big trophy one some day!
            Thanks Hunter, dirt nap! Those aoudad are some weary animals, I want one with my bow but all nut focus is about to go to elk..

Originally posted by Shane View Post
            What was up with that aoudad and the swole up hindquarter?
            I couldn’t determine what the cause was. My guess is he got gored by another ram, broke a big cedar splinter off in his leg, or burst his bladder. We drained it and it shot out with pressure for a good 5-6 minutes. Inside of his leg was rotten. He could hardly stand up so I killed him, wouldn’t have shot him otherwise.

Comment

Thanks Hunter, dirt nap! Those aoudad are some weary animals, I want one with my bow but all nut focus is about to go to elk..

I couldn’t determine what the cause was. My guess is he got gored by another ram, broke a big cedar splinter off in his leg, or burst his bladder. We drained it and it shot out with pressure for a good 5-6 minutes. Inside of his leg was rotten. He could hardly stand up so I killed him, wouldn’t have shot him otherwise.
              Great work! Looking forward to an elk story in the future...

Comment

Glad to hear the rain is falling out there. I went down the other weekend and was surprised at everything that still had antlers. Figured the elk and sika would have certainly dropped antlers by now. We have been doing a lot of clearing in the oak pastures and going to try out a food plot or three this spring. Have a few spots identified that don't have hardly any rocks.

The protein feeders we added kick ***. Don't have a single picture of coons using them yet which was my biggest fear. They also seem to be holding up to the aoudad and elk just fine. We aren't feeding protein as a means to grow big animals, but more so to attract them and keep them around. It certainly seems to be satisfying those goals.
                I was glad to see that we got some rain also. We also got a little when I was driving in on Friday. Just a reminder, I am just barely in Edwards County on the North side. When I look in other folks weather station South West of me on weather underground they show over an inch also.

Those are awesome photo's. I am surprised those elk and aoudad don't run through that protein in a matter of days.

I am jealous you have an area that you can put a food plot on. We only have one little area and the hogs are always in it so I am sure it would get torn up in a matter of days.

Comment

Great pics. You are truly blessed with a dream place. WOW!

Comment

How did everyone’s deer season end up? Our deer stopped moving mid November and never got going again. We had corn piled up below our feeders which has never happened before. The only thing I can think of is the acorns never soured due to the lack of rain after they dropped.

Comment

Anyone hunt around the Earwood ranch in Edwards county off 277 and south of 55? Looking at a place there and rumors of elk where there!

Comment

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post
                        Anyone hunt around the Earwood ranch in Edwards county off 277 and south of 55? Looking at a place there and rumors of elk where there!
                        There aren’t any elk in the hill country unfortunately.

Comment

There aren’t any elk in the hill country unfortunately.
                          Heck barely any deer, not sure why I listened to him on the elk thing. Thanks for clearing that up

Comment

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post
                            Heck barely any deer, not sure why I listened to him on the elk thing. Thanks for clearing that up

We are a ways East from there but looking at satellite imagining on a macro level, that area very promising.

Comment

We are a ways East from there but looking at satellite imagining on a macro level, that area very promising.
                              Yea its gonna be a fun year if we can close the deal. Hopefully I can contribute to this thread with some kills from it.

Comment

Anyone here familiar with the Wells Ranch down 337 about 10 miles West of Leakey? I believe the owners name is Albert Wells. Any info would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X