No announcement yet.

Edwards/Real Counties Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've recently seen some yote scat just off cr 310. i haven't heard any there and i'm on the plateau right before the canyons start. I've got plenty of deer but they are avoiding the corn. i've had them come in to alfalfa and sweet feed but only in the open.

Comment

Got this photo from one of my fellow lease members this morning. Got some snow!
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
        Thats awesome!! Jealous

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
          I am in northern Edwards county, about 20 miles southwest of Telegraph as the crow flies. The local rancher says that the varmint numbers are at an all time high right now. I now hear coyotes every time I’m at the ranch, and I’ve never heard nor seen one before last year - not even on a game camera.

We still have a ton of white tail, Axis, and blackbuck. But our turkey numbers have dwindled recently- there were so many before that we dreaded them coming to feeder because they ate all the corn before the deer came in. And we hardly ever see rabbits now; there was a surplus in recent years. I suppose the predators are starting to take a toll.

All I can tell you is that we had Never seen, heard, gotten a trail camera picture of, or found scat of a coyote in the 37 years of ownership of the place until 4 years ago. Other owners in the canyon say that the last time they had seen coyotes was in the early 70s.

That is a lot of generations of Deer that have never been around nor had to worry about Coyotes. Thus when they came in they had a relatively easy time wiping out our herd.

If you are hearing them for the first time you might want to start a management program sooner than later.

We didn't act when we should have and we are paying the price.

For those that want to say/think... get off the feeders it's just the acorns. I assure you this is not whats going on.

Look at your fawns!

If you're still seeing fawns your probably ok.

If not you probably have a problem.

I have a close relationship with my neighbors. 2 ranch managers that oversee a combined 18,500 acres cannot find a fawn that survived the summer.

The 12,000 acre ranch encompassed in the above 18,500 did two surveys over the summer with biologists. These were ride around spotlight surveys and they spent a total of 12 hours per survey.

--- How many Doe do you think they counted???

Comment

Thats a beautiful site!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

This is at our place off 83 south of Junction

Comment

For those who have success hunting the Coyotes what is your strategy? I have heard that last two hours before dawn are the best to call them in....... I will be honest it is really hard for me to wake up in the mornings so I have never tried this. If you are calling what call do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by FirstCast View Post

Cool deal.

Comment

Originally posted by hef187 View Post
                    Thats awesome!! Jealous

Wish I was out there with them that is for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstCast View Post

Today?!?!?!

Comment

Just talked to my friends at our lease and the snow just picked up again.

Comment

Just talked to my friends at our lease and the snow just picked up again.
                          My view.... [emoji24]

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                            Today?!?!?!
                            Yes this morning

Comment

This morning in barksdale

Comment

Any updates on the acorns and/or movement post snow?

Comment

Working...
                                X