New place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
    I have a few deer around. Saw 4 different bucks on camera last year and about 7-8 does/yearlings at my feeder. Didn't plant anything for them though...but this year will get some plots going. Gonna do elbon rye, oats, and white clover in a mix.....throw and mow. Had great luck with this at my old place. Might throw in some chicory as well. Gonna wait until Oct to plant.

Lots of deer tracks in the dry canals browsing on various plants and getting a drink at the water. I'm thinking they use the dry canals and overgrown strip pilings to travel and bed. Saw a couple of rubs last year at the very end of a dry canal....would have never thought they would use it but it makes sense now that I've seen evidence that they do. Its extremely secluded and has every thing they need....security, food, and water.
    There has been some very big deer taken in and around the gravels pits in your area and on both sides of the loop.

Your place is looking great. I am surprised that you are not covered up in white wing. I know a couple people that hunt a little past your place opposite side of the road that consistently do very well. Funny what a difference a few miles makes.

Really enjoy following your threads, very educational.

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
      There has been some very big deer taken in and around the gravels pits in your area and on both sides of the loop.

Your place is looking great. I am surprised that you are not covered up in white wing. I know a couple people that hunt a little past your place opposite side of the road that consistently do very well. Funny what a difference a few miles makes.

Really enjoy following your threads, very educational.

Rwc
      Yes we were jealous of all the shooting around us. Sounded like a sporting clays tournament around us.

Thanks.

Comment

Okay I am just getting caught up after a long drought of no TBH. I use to follow your old thread forever and glad you now have a new place (where is the alfalfa?). also I too recognized the fish whisper congrats to him this summer I have followed up for 3 years at least. Also don't let him talk you into putting that pet gar into your new lake. Keep out the gar!

It's been a great follow so far. I might have missed it, but how did the SMB do in the summer heat?

Comment

Originally posted by jkelbe View Post
          Okay I am just getting caught up after a long drought of no TBH. I use to follow your old thread forever and glad you now have a new place (where is the alfalfa?). also I too recognized the fish whisper congrats to him this summer I have followed up for 3 years at least. Also don't let him talk you into putting that pet gar into your new lake. Keep out the gar!

It's been a great follow so far. I might have missed it, but how did the SMB do in the summer heat?
          Thanks Jkelbe. Yep no gar allowed in here lol.

We have not fished much at all since Memorial day. Will start fishing again shortly and will give an update on how the SMB fared. I'm expecting some 15" fish this fall....we shall see. I did fish a couple weeks ago for an hour and caught some LM....but no SM.

The barndo should be done in about 30 days. Meeting a well guy out there this weekend, cabinets in going in this week so progress is happening.

Comment

Nice Congrats!

Comment

I live in Lampasas and am excited about the possibility of you leasing this out. I want a place like this pretty bad, looking great sir.

Comment

Don't know how I missed this thread, but I am caught up now. Beautiful and unique place for sure. Great job on the improvements so far.

Comment

Well we caught one smallmouth today....along with 50 largemouth.Don't know if the SMB are just not biting or if there are so many LMB that they don't give the SMB a chance to eat our baits.

The SMB was right at 13 inches. A little skinny but has some length.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by unclefish; 10-10-2020, 08:25 PM.

Comment

I had some good help putting in steps to the duck blind on the steep slope. Ready for a good cold front to bring some divers down.

Comment

House still has slow progress. Electric service has been ordered, well and septic should be in shortly. Cabinets are mostly in.

Also put several loads of scrap concrete chunks and put them in the lake for crawfish habitat.

Comment

Just keeps getting better and better! Congrats My Friend!

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

I have a great dozer guy at my place this week to build a duck impoundment. Gonna be about 1 to 1.5 acres of 12-18" water when finished. Trying to attract some puddle ducks as the main lake attracts lots of divers already. I'll be able to flood it from the main lake. I'm gonna install a 4" drain pipe with an anti-seep collar once the levee is built. Looking at pumps now from Harbor, Northern Tool, and Water pumps direct.

He cleared some trees today and will finish clearing tomorrow. Then he will work on moving dirt and building the levee. Lots of good clay...so holding water should not be a problem.

I don't expect it will be good this year as there is no time to plant duck groceries....but at least I'll have nice shallow open area.

Comment

"Duck impoundment" now we are talking.........You should be covered up with divers and puddle ducks each winter where this ground is located.

Looks great sir, enjoy following.

Rwc

Comment

Man this place keeps getting better and better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X