Hard to argue with this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jerp View Post
    A friend sent me that article just today and I read it with my defenses up assuming it was another “hunting is evil” diatribe. However I found myself agreeing with much of it. Yes, deer breeding and pay-to-kill menu hunts are legal and I hesitate to give any ground to the anti-hunting movement. But this type of hunting is the opposite of what I personally think deer hunting is all about. I guess you could say I’m conflicted. On the one hand I am baffled at how anyone could feel a sense of pride and accomplishment because they wrote a five figure check and killed what is basically domestic livestock with a rocking chair on its head. On the other hand I don’t want to give any ground to those who’s ultimate goal is to ban hunting altogether
    You pretty much summed up my feelings - I too am conflicted. I am all about progress and small cities growing into big cities - that is life and I deal with it-

but the deer hunting tradition within families and peoples lives is so deep that it makes me sick to think that someday that will all be gone - and trust me someday it WILL ALL BE GONE = truth is there is no turning back -

Comment

I can see me not hunting in 10yrs. I have lost pretty much all interest. Only time I will go is with Riley. Maybe over time that passion will come back but now I could care less. I would rather go fishing instead

Comment

Over the last ten years I’ve almost entirely switched to duck hunting. It’s way more fun

Comment

Guys this is such a small portion of the hunting community when you look at the state of Texas. Deer breeders are facing more scrutiny than ever do to CWD and many are getting out of the business. There will always be high fences and put and take hunting but it is not going to ruin hunting for the average hunter. It is only a small fraction of the hunters. And like previously stated it will pass as the price will over shadow demand. This is already happening with breeder buck prices.
          I think we as hunters can control lease prices by not paying the high price requested for leases. Until that happens prices for all leases will continue to rise. That is my experience in 44 years of hunting and game management.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ha! I've reverted back to my old high school methods, dodging game wardens adds a whole new dimension to hunting again. 😜

Comment

It is just one more nail in the coffin of what was "Texas". The state is changing so fast we will not recognize it in a few short years. In fact, some parts are foriegn to me even now. We are going the way of California, like it or not.

Comment

I’d rather shoot a 150” free range deer than a 200” deer in any high fence. I know high fence places can be thousands of acres, but it’s still high fenced. It just doesn’t appeal to me.

Comment

Hard to argue with this

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                  I can see me not hunting in 10yrs. I have lost pretty much all interest. Only time I will go is with Riley. Maybe over time that passion will come back but now I could care less. I would rather go fishing instead

Heck if you think about it, your parents’ private “lake” full of genetically superior Camelot bass is not much different than a high fence ranch with breeder deer in it. Introduced genetics, great nutrition, confined to boundaries, culling of smaller animals, landowner decides who gets a chance at the trophy bounty.... all in the name of producing trophies of the species.

For the record, I’m not against either. It just hit me reading your post.

Comment

Originally posted by sbushee View Post
                    I’d rather shoot a 150” free range deer than a 200” deer in any high fence. I know high fence places can be thousands of acres, but it’s still high fenced. It just doesn’t appeal to me.

Exactly.

Not so long ago a 150” - 170” buck was highly regarded and took considerable hunting to get

Now days you can call on Thursday, show up on Friday and have your 200”+ buck plus your 150” free cull killed before Sunday

Comment

Article is really trying to pull at heartstrings with all the imagery.

I'll keep hunting my low fenced property, high fence when invited, and any other places I get my hands on. I like shooting deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunting4fun View Post
                        And there are actual grownups that get mad and can't understand why you ask if their kill was high fence or low fence?

Those deer look terrible, very unhealthy.

Comment

Interesting read.

To the ones that say they’ve lost interest or passion for hunting, what caused that? I don’t see how breeder deer programs have any bearing on the enjoyment you take personally in hunting. I love hunting as much as I ever have and will likely never shoot a >150” buck. I think part of the real problem is hunters basing their hunting success solely on inches and how it compares to other hunter’s trophies.

Worry less about what other people are proud of and start being proud of successes you’ve had in hunting. A close friend of mine has had some tremendous success hunting, but still gets just as excited to see someone put a good shot on a pig. That’s because he loves hunting and is proud of more than just the trophy.
                          That’s my $0.02 at least

Comment

Reading this brought to mind a thread from not all that long ago..... thread was based on a pic of a guy with a buck over his back “like a backpack” getting it out of the woods. Most were shocked and couldn’t imagine how someone could be so stupid. Must be from Arkansas or a coonazz.....
                            It was just a guy that hunts without a box to sit in, feeder, camera where vehicles are illegal off the forest road or impossible to get where he was hunting.

Just sayin

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
                              Reading this brought to mind a thread from not all that long ago..... thread was based on a pic of a guy with a buck over his back “like a backpack” getting it out of the woods. Most were shocked and couldn’t imagine how someone could be so stupid. Must be from Arkansas or a coonazz.....
                              It was just a guy that hunts without a box to sit in, feeder, camera where vehicles are illegal off the forest road or impossible to get where he was hunting.

Just sayin
                              I didnt see that one, and certainly dont think its stupid to do that. Am I too lazy to do that ( and have herniated disc already ), yes, but look UP to those that arent, not down.

We have had the ability to absolutely dominate wildlife for a long, long time. For a long time there were few of us that the imact was minimal. History has shown that that time passed on this continent around the 1850s ( I guess ). When populations were decimated we had to put in restrictions to limit it. Some were laws, others were self imposed.

I suppose ( regretably ) we are once again at the point where restrictions must be imposed ( pray its self imposed before laws are passed ). It is my hope the demand will crash once people see the actual low value of shooting a farm raised deer.

FTR: I am 100% property owner rights to high fence, but against trapping public property ( deer ). I have hunted large high fence ( not for deer ) and am not against it.

Comment

Originally posted by sbushee View Post
                                Absolutely. Heck, Id rather shoot a 130 wild

Comment

Working...
                                X