Need help with Rifle ID.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with Rifle ID.

Trying to help father in law get a new stock for this rifle. It’s a 300 WM with Shilen barrel. Does anyone recognize the markings or know what we’re dealing with here to look for stocks? He said he had it built several years ago by someone but he couldn’t remember who.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a Browning Safari to me at least the floor plate and trigger guard they were built on a Mauser action

Comment

Mauser action. If it was custom may have to have stock cust9n made for it.

Comment

Definitely a mauser action

Comment

I thought it looked like an old Belgium safari. Anyone know if they came with a shilen barrel? Floor plate is real similar.

And yes definitely Mauser action. It has a really nice trigger in it.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
            Looks like a Browning Safari to me at least the floor plate and trigger guard they were built on a Mauser action

Meant to quote you above. Good catch on the designs on the floor plate.

Comment

They did not come with Shilen barrels at least mine didn’t

Comment

Old Mauser that's been sporterized.

Comment

Thanks all.

Any ideas what the “3T78CM” stamped on the shilen barrel would indicate about the barrel? I have searched online and hard to find any info on Shilens barrel markings.

Comment

Definitely looks like a custom stock. I have a few my dad built in the 60s that have Mauser actions. Very similar.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                      Thanks all.

Any ideas what the “3T78CM” stamped on the shilen barrel would indicate about the barrel? I have searched online and hard to find any info on Shilens barrel markings.
                      The CM likely means the barrel is chromoly steel. 3 could possibly be the barrel contour. 78 doesn’t make sense to me unless the gunsmith used it to denote the year it was custom built. I would have expected the 78 to be a 10 which would represent the barrel twist. Sometimes barrels are stamped with the neck diameter i.e. .330”. Zero clue about 3T78 ????

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                        Thanks all.

The CM usually stands for Chrome Moly in the barrel world. No idea about the rest of it. I'd email Shilen and ask them

CB beat me to it.

Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk

Comment

All I know is that gun looks pretty

Comment

I thought the safety on Mauser actions where always on back of bolt ? I have 4 or 5 and all are on the bolt.

Comment

Need help with Rifle ID.

After doing more research it sure looks like the Sako/Browning high power safari grade model possibly. Could also be a 1962 safari model. The serial number is just a number and no letters. Looks like 61-62 they produced some that didn’t have letters only 5 numbers.

Last edited by txwhitetail; 07-10-2019, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X