Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fair Chase. High Fences & Feeders (Stirring the Hornet Nest)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats, Rattler! The Chap is a giant piece of high-fenced land with monster bucks I have heard.

WCB, I figured out the smilie thing. I have to click on "reply to thread" to see the smilies. I have previously just been typing into the box that is present at the end of the thread and submitting my posts from there.

Comment

As long as it's legal,hunt how you want to hunt.

DJ

Comment

High Fences

To each his own. I grew up in Washington State and Ohio and never hunted feeders or high fences and had fun hunting this way. If you have never driven deer with friends in the snow you should try it, it is a fun way to hunt. Now having lived in Texas for the past 34 yrs I hunt a different way and enjoy that as well. I hunt over feeders and see nothing wrong with it but have to admit it is refreshing to hunt natural trails and natural food plots. I would not critizice anyone's way of hunting as long it is legal and will respect the person's right to hunt anyway they want. I personally would not like to hunt a small high fence ranch like the ones I have seen where it is basically shooting and not hunting. Good Hunting !!!!

Comment

Dad gum low fence...no feeder deer are dropping like flies through the lens. Just glad I don't have crosshairs on my lens otherwise I'm tagged out

Those deer working large ag areas aren't that easy either. Been there and done that. What we need to educate folks outside of Texas is very simple. Texas has over 1/4 percent of the entire US Whitetail herd population living and thriving here. Winters are mild, ranching lands prevail and parcel sizes are way larger than many of the other states with indigenous herds of whitetails. Just the numbers of animals here alone puts our odds way up on the list of opportunity. Ranching lands with excellent forbes/browse and mild winters places us very high on desired whitetail habitat. Pines and conifers aren't good habitats for whitetail and ag lands timbered to bare bones isn't good for carrying capacity.

Next time you fly anywhere in the US, stare out the window and view the terrain. Regions with a lot of ag are simply filled with parcels of plowed lands and not much cover. Deer simply don't have a lot of area to spread out. Add population densities well over a large percentage of what we have here, urbanization and such, and it's tough hunting and extremely pressured. Those plots of timber are hunted hard and the whitetail there get very nocturnal. Those honey holes that are hunted lightly with ag and suitable timbered habitat are not very common either. Anywhere along the East Coast in ag areas you will find whitetail will high tail it the minute they see a pickup truck. They are hunted hard and couple that with outlaw hunters and things are pushed over the top. Some states out east still allow whitetail hunts with dogs and shotguns (Virginia and North Carolina to name a couple). Here in Texas we are very fortunate our average land size is still over 1000-2000 acres. Out east and up north in regions that have been owned for literally a hundred years longer than Texas, they have been carved up through the generations to a point, 500 acres is a good sized place.

Out west it opens up but the native browse/forbes aren't the best for whitetail either. Lots of conifers there too and further North into Washington all the way to Maine and several hundred miles to the south of the Canadian border...winters are brutally tough. Some years they do well but it trends on the winter. Tons of mule deer and whitetail die off due to exceptionally cold winters up there. I've seen and heard the stories of this. There are areas in Washington State that if and when that freak snow storm hits areas quickly before they can move out the passes, deer die. Whitetail typically will not move like a mule deer so adios to them and even the mule deer drop too. Some of these deer kill offs are entire counties due to snow and cold.

I will close by simply stating....we started the gears toward better whitetail management here in Texas years ago. Landowners, leasers etc. understand what needs to be done to improve and manage habitat. Many of those outside our State simply view deer as nuisance animals (farmers and such). They compete with their bottom line and farming is their life. We raise livestock in a large percentage of the State. The knowledge gained from that carries over to whitetail as well if the landowner desires to improve his wild game herds. Up north, whitetail hunting is more sport than business. Here in Texas whitetail supplements the ranch owners income.

Pretty straight forward to me.

Comment

hey double lung you ready for the Ponson's BBQ Team to lay the smack down on the competition for Czhilispiel. By the way if your not in a bowstand next weekend come by Czhilispiel in Flatonia Tx on IH-10 halfway between san antonio and houston. Friday night aaron watson and lost cause sat. eli young and jason boland. also come by sat. and try some award winning ponson's bbq

Comment

My opinion is that there is nothing wrong about corn feeders or high fences. I do not encourage penned canned hunts, BUT I am not against them.

First to me a corn feeder is no different than finding a tree that has acorns falling. Sure deer will come to it but, they don't have to and they have other options. Now if you high fenced a place and burned it and then stuck deer and 1 corn feeder on it then that might be cheating!

I think High Fences are a great tool. I also understand why some orginazations do not recognize those animals in their record books. I don't think there is a distinct advantage to a high fence versus a large piece of acreage but on small tracts in some cases and areas a high fence is required if you want a quality deer herd.

Now pen hunts and canned hunts I think are cheezy and I would not do it but, I do not think we should outlaw it. This is a free country and I do not think we need any more government regulations than are necessary. Lets face it everyone here is ok with running a cow down a conveyor belt and slamming a rod into its brain. Same with a pig, chickens, farm raised quail etc. So why is a deer different? If someone wants to farm deer either to sell the meet, antlers or the hunts who cares. To me as long as there is a clean kill there is nothing else to be concerned with.

As for the folks up north, well most are confused. In many places they use corn feeders in the mid west and north of TX to attract deer. Believe it or not with all of the corn fields in KS the deer still flock to a corn feeder.

It is my opinion that we are the superior mammals on this earth and as we develop we should be able to come up with better and easier ways to trick less superior animals so that we may harvest them. This includes feeders, decoys, deer calls, habitat management and anything else that may be coming.

No one if forced to do any of the above things. You are not forced to hunt as food is readily available. I think everyone would be happier if people did what made them happy instead of worrying about what everyone else was going to think.

Also just FYI, I hunt low fence and live on a high fenced place! Go figure.

I cannot believe I just commented on this subject!!!!

Comment

High fence low fence, corn or no corn, Just hunt.
                As long as it's with a bow it makes no difference.To me.

Comment

Working...
                X