Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fair Chase. High Fences & Feeders (Stirring the Hornet Nest)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fair Chase. High Fences & Feeders (Stirring the Hornet Nest)

Over the past couple of weeks i've had some of my out of state friends arguing about people having feeders and high fences. There are many pros and cons for each. Let me know what everyone thinks. I've hunted both high and low (currently high). I actually when it comes down to it prefer high fence (except nothing can go to P&Y or B&C.) I'll explain later in the post. Feeders? why the heck not. It's the best way to truly evaluate your deer. Plus it's no different than hunting over corn fields or oats or foodplots which out of state hunters defend saying is not near the same as a feeder. Whatever. Let me know what yall think. But i'm sure i'm going to stir up a hornets nest.

You know this topic has been debated and debated. I have simply come to the fact WHY NOT!! If the people up north dont like it to bad! They can leave our deer alone!!

Comment

Is it called beating a dead horse since the last crash left no data

Yeah, I think so:

Last edited by jyoung; 10-20-2008, 01:44 PM.
      Jeff Young

Comment

Deerhunter30,are you ready?

Comment

Honestly, if you start a thread while being 'sure you're going to stir a hornet's nest' then, chances are this is your intention.

Comment

I have hunted high and low with feeders and no feeders.I dont like high when they are small other than that I dont care. I hunted with some guys from up North they didnt like the trucks,4 wheelers and golf carts we used either.They walked all over that 10,000 acre ranch for 2 days. Day 3 they ask for a ride and corn to put out.

Comment

Since the archives are gone, I'll allow this to remain...for now. However, it will be under a watchful eye. Please be respectful in your post. Stirring the proverbial pot is not acceptable. Also, if you have nothing positive to contribute, please don't comment. As good as they may be, Junior Mints and Popcorn are not considered positive contributions!

Comment

Since there is no record I'll go on the record as saying I could give a #@!$. Hunt'em if you like'em.

Comment

OK, since this is an honest discussion for the moment, I'll play

I feel as long as it's legal and considered hunting, have at it.
                  Low fence, high fence, doesn't really matter to me. High fence doesn't give a hunter any advantage as long as it has cover. Big bucks find cover and don't come out for long periods of time and you never see them until one day you find the rack.

Feeding, well, like I said, if its legal than its alright.

That's all I got to say about that
                  Jeff Young

Comment

I really believe that it is up to the hunter. If you feel like it is unfair to hunt under corn and high fences, then don't. As long as it's fair chase it's alright in my book.

Comment

I hunted high fence last week and the only time I saw the fence is when we went thru the gate. Also, these were some of the hard to hunt, wildest deer I have ever hunted. I never did get a shot at a big deer but the weather didn't want to cooperate either. To each his own I say.

Comment

Question: Since we are currently putting up a high fence on one side of our land to deter (sp?) poachers and road hunters. Will this rule out P&Y if its only on one side and not all sides?

Comment

I personally do not think I would like to hunt deer in a pen, but if others want to, then have at it. I also know where there is a herd of cows you can hunt, it's about the same in my book.

Todd

Comment

Your quote explains it all BoneDigger!

Comment

Since we haven't had one on the new forum yet, can we go ahead and turn this into a TTHA bashing thread too?

Trailboss

Comment

Working...
                              X