Big 7 down at Rancho Paraiso!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big 7 down at Rancho Paraiso!

There are times in life and hunting when everything just seems “right”, this particular weekend was one of those. I was invited down by the Bone family to hunt their ranch in South Texas and do some herd thinning with several folks that I consider to be some of my closest friends.

After a couple of successful hunts were in the books by the others in the group I figured that I need to get with the program and stick something to help out the management plan.

Saturday morning found me in a box blind with shoot through vertical windows (as shown)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0010 (Medium).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	24716093

on each side over looking a food plot to my north and east and a feeder to my west.

Name:	DSC00078.JPG
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	24716094

I spent the majority of the morning in awe at the number of bucks I was seeing.I had several great buck in front of me but there was an awesome 8 that I had my eye on but he was at about 30-32 yards but never gave me a good shot

.......wise move because Mary had her eye on this particular buck!

You can see why!!

Name:	DSC00080.JPG
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	24716095

After I turned my eyes from the Big 8, I noticed a huge bodied buck with what looked to be a broken G2 on his left main beam....after further review he didn’t have one at all and definitely fit the management plan! After about 30 minutes of watching this buck run off other bucks and generally act like King Kong, he worked his way into my video frame at 15-18 yards. The comedy of errors that took place with my 275 pound self in that box blind ensued from that point. The large vertical window that I needed to shoot out of was not a possibility because of my chair placement, which left me with one option....shoot out of the small 6” x 6” window on the right side of the blind. To pull off the shot I would have to semi-stand knees bent as shown and make the shot WITHOUT hitting the blind or window!

Like this.....

Name:	DSC_0009 (Medium).JPG
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	24716097

Okay now I lean waaaaay left and ensure the buck is in frame...check....draw without being seen...check.....stand, anchor, crouch just a little, find the crease just behind the shoulder, sqeeeeeeeeze the trigger, THWACK!! Right were I wanted it!

Click picture for the video of the shot *warning* 18.4MB

Name:	DSC00150.JPG
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	24716096

I put my bow on the floor, while watching the buck and grab my camera move it to the window in front of me. He runs for about 100 yards and stops with a WIDE stance and begins to seriously sway!! Makes a few more steps and stops again and then begins to run about another 60 yards or so and ducks in the brush just off the road. The time was 7:50 a.m., I waited until the crew came and got me before getting to as to not spoil Steven’s hunt in a big mesquite just 300 yards to my east.
    The crew arrived and Mary and Wade helped me track the buck to the last place I saw him,

Name:	DSC_0007 (Medium).JPG
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	24716103

I had a great blood trail but when it got to the fence where I last saw him it stopped!! Wade looked on the west side of the fence while Mary and I tried to see if he may have walked down the fence and crossed elsewhere. Looking at the blood trail I knew the buck had to be dead!! As I searched the road for signs of him crossing again I spotted the white belly of the buck laying just 10 yards off the road. Needless to say I was absolutely elated!! It was my first South Texas buck and he was down and out!! After a few high fives and hugs,

Name:	DSC_0035 (Large).JPG
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	24716098

Wade recorded my LDV and Steven did the honors on the LDP’s.

Name:	DSC_0018 (Medium).JPG
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	24716099

The buck aged out at 5½ years and was 190 lbs on the hoof, my heaviest buck taken by a long shot. I’m very proud of the buck, he has a lot of character and I couldn’t be happier with him.

Name:	LDP manip 2 (Medium).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	24716100

Name:	DSC_0028 (Large).JPG
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	24716101

It was an absolutely awesome weekend, I would like to thank the Bone family, Jamie, Mary, Justin and Travis, for having me at their ranch and Steven, Wade, Casey and Michael for sharing the weekend with me. This was definitely one of the best trips I have ever been on and thanks so much for reading along.

Last edited by Aggiebowman; 10-18-2006, 09:57 AM.

Great video ABM! That's a great looking buck...love the deep chocolate horns on 'em. Congrats!

Comment

great job on the write up! now, get back to work will you.

I'm your boss...so zip it!! Aggiebowman
      Last edited by Aggiebowman; 10-18-2006, 09:58 AM. Reason: Insubordination

Comment

Let me the first to say congrats! Nice buck.

Comment

Nice job as always Jason, love the video and pictures as well. I always wondered if there was much room in those blinds for a bowhunter, I guess we now know, HOW BIG AN OLE BOY ARE YOU????
          Congrats again!

Comment

Congrats on a great management buck.

Comment

Sweeeeet, Congrats!!!!

Comment

Awesome write and vid. jason. Heck of a shot too. I thought that deer was going to go down. But that shows you how tough a whitetail deer is.

Comment

Nice buck congrats

Comment

Great buck, video, its all good.
                    And Steven totally hooked you up on the pics.
                    Very, very nice.
                    Congrats

Comment

Excellent video and write up. Congrats to all of you for a successful weekend spent with great friends. Can't ask for much more!!!!

Comment

Congrats on a great looking 7 point Jason,great writeup as well

Comment

Great video. Congrats on the great management buck.

Comment

Awesome report. Almost feels like I was there!

Congrats to the Grande Bohemian

Comment

Congrats Jason awesome all the way around!!

Comment

Working...
                              X