No announcement yet.

Bolt Carrier Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He is going through his ammo this morning , trying to determine box/lot #. However he has so many mags and has loaded them at different times we are not sure we will be able to determine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Build a fence on the bansaw table and split it down the middle is only thing I know to do

Lucky that pressure went out the bottom of the mag and not the side of the receiver and into his face

Comment

I’d send an email to BCM. Their are a solid company. It wouldn’t surprise me if they replaced the upper free of charge.

Either way, report back about what they say.

Comment

We have already sent an email (late yesterday) and are awaiting a response. We sent, pictures a description etc.

I’m leaning toward an ammo issue and don’t really expect BCM to warranty or anything, but thought they might want to look at the upper? So we requested a mailing label etc.

I’ll post up their response.

Comment

It's 100% a ammo issue. I've seen it before, a few times. Too much powder. Happend to me 1 time.
            Hate that he ruined his rifle but, as long as he's ok, then all good.
            Last edited by HTOWN; 07-24-2022, 08:30 PM.

Comment

I would take the forearm and the gas tube off, then remove the barrel nut. Then see if you can get the bolt out of the barrel extension. Also remove the nut that holds the buffer tube on and try to spin the buffer tube off.

I would run a cleaning rod down the barrel as far as it will go, then mark it. Then pull it out of the barrel, then put the cleaning rod next to the barrel, with the mark you made, at the end of the barrel, to see how deep the cleaning rod was able to go. That will determine if the barrel is clear. If it goes all the way up into the case, then you know there were no barrel obstructions of any kind. Either the bolt failed, or possibly the bolt failed because of too high of pressures.

Would be interesting to see the rest of this deal.

Comment

300blk round got in the mag... or wrong powder in the case... like previous post , cleaning rod will tell quickly .. if it's long enough to get to the back of the case , overpressure. if rod gets to front of chamber .. 300 blk

Comment

Update:

BCM replied to our emails and sent us a label and we are shipping to them to look it over. They have been too notch and very responsive. Highly unlikely that they will warranty anything, but at least they can look it over. We are shipping it out tomorrow 6-27 and I will update this thread with new info once they have looked it over.

Comment

ammo issue

Comment

I also tend to think ammo issue, it shouldn’t be able to fire out of battery regardless of the rate of fire or spring in the buffer tube. They are designed to be fired full auto with standard carbine buffers…

Any chance it might have been a reload? The .300 BLK in a 5.56 can definitely cause that, my understanding is it’s hard to put enough rifle powder in a rifle case to generate that much over pressure. Definitely possible in a pistol case or with pistol powder.

Nosler lists .223 55 gr loads (lower pressure than 5.56) at 93% full with H335 powder (most common in bulk/military ammo to my knowledge). I just don’t see an extra 2 gr of powder causing that, especially with the wide variety of actual charges most factory bulk 5.56 ammo must have to generate the groups that it does.

Explore the world of Nosler, renowned for crafting the finest bullets, ammunition, rifles, and brass. Discover our extensive lineup, including Partition, AccuBond, E-Tip, Ballistic Tip, Custom Competition, and more. Experience superior quality and performance with Nosler products.
                      Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 07-26-2022, 07:16 PM.

Comment

I had a 5.56 round split right at the rim and it blew the magazine out of the bottom and opened it up like that to the point the guts fell out of it. I was able to get it opened up finally using a brass rod and a hammer. I checked the remaining rounds and they had little areas that looked like they were ready to split so I disposed of the whole lot. Fortunately for me it did the same -- exploded down into the mag instead of my face.

Comment

Any updates from BCM?

Comment

Need to have a 'smith look at it. It might be ruined as others have said, or it might have been a brass case head failure, in which case most of it might be salvageable. The brass rupturing can lock the bolt up. The escaping gas going down and out the magazine well is by design.

Comment

Any update?

Comment

Originally posted by Mission408 View Post
                                Any update?
                                Im curious as well

Comment

Working...
                                X