Farm Trailer Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farm Trailer Questions

I’m needing to buy a farm trailer to haul my skid steer and a few implements. Estimated weight to haul would be around 15,000 pounds not including trailer weight. With a class c license what is the largest gvwr weight trailer I legally pull? The way I’m reading the law it would be a trailer gvwr of 20,000. So if I bought a triple axle 21,000 gvwr trailer it wouldn’t be legal without a different class license?

Over 26,001 truck and trailer gross needs a cdl. Not sure about farms tag thou

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech38 View Post
      Over 26,001 truck and trailer gross needs a cdl. Not sure about farms tag thou
      The way I’m reading it’s different for farm use within 150 of your farm or ranch.

Comment

Class A DL instead of Class A CDL for farm tags within 150 miles is my understanding of it for 26,001.

Comment

21,000 gvwr trailer, you need a Class A non-CDL unless you travel over 150 air miles. Over the 150, you need a Class A CDL.

Comment

Originally posted by Guardian Reaper View Post
            21,000 gvwr trailer, you need a Class A non-CDL unless you travel over 150 air miles. Over the 150, you need a Class A CDL.
            So 20,000 gvwr is okay with a class c within 150 miles?

Comment

[ATTACH]993609[/ATTACH]

Comment

Where are y’all seeing anything about trailer GVWR being 21,000? Everything I’ve seen and spoken to DOT about has said 26,001 as shown in the above photo. It makes no reference to any different ratings, only that you’re CDL exempt in normal CDL conditions (26001 GCVWR) within 150 miles of your farm.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200226-203408.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	24609279

Here it is, in a flow chart.

Comment

Bottom part is class c driver license...

Comment

Google texas farmer cdl and the regs are in the pdf format.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                        I’m needing to buy a farm trailer to haul my skid steer and a few implements. Estimated weight to haul would be around 15,000 pounds not including trailer weight. With a class c license what is the largest gvwr weight trailer I legally pull? The way I’m reading the law it would be a trailer gvwr of 20,000. So if I bought a triple axle 21,000 gvwr trailer it wouldn’t be legal without a different class license?

We haul our 289s with grapple and tooth bucket with 24 ft gs with 8k axles. Does just fine so i wouldn't think you need a triple axle unless your wanting to be able to put all ypur stuff on it at once.

All i have ever heard is you need a cdl if its over the 26k

Comment

Originally posted by Guardian Reaper View Post
                          [ATTACH]993615[/ATTACH]

Here it is, in a flow chart.
                          Never seen that before. Thanks. Doesn’t matter to me as I rarely towed heavy near our farm, but I explored that route to avoid the CDL. Just ended up specing my trailers out to be just shy of CDL land.

Comment

I was looking to haul everything in one trip. I've got a tandem gn with 7000 pound axels that should work locally. Making two trips locally isn't bad. It's when I go to South Texas or the hill country that's gonna suck. I'm thinking about selling it and going with a 20,000 gvwr since the triple axel won't work without a different license. I'm thinking a tandem dual deckover with 10,000 axels. I really wanted to go lowboy gn.

Comment

And you can be a farmer as long as you’re not “for hire” and say you are a “farmer”.

Comment

Working...
                              X