Laguna Atascosa 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
    Same dates, I’ll be walking the whole way. Does a bike actually make it easier? I feel like carrying a bow and other gear a bike would make it difficult lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I hunted two years in a row. First year I had no bike but used a buddy’s on 1 day. It was def way worse on the legs and feet. Had blisters like crazy. Last year I went out of my way trying to find a bike. It is night and days different and wayyyyyy much easier to get around. I hunted unit 3 last year almost every day and it took me about 30 minutes to get back there. Walking would take way over an hour. I would put my bow in my back pack along enough snacks/food/drinks for the entire day. I even saw some guys rig up mounts to put the bow in. One thing about the guys that walk is more and more of the only go a couple hundred yards into the units. Lots of hunters close to the roads.

Pulling a cart was to hard. The cart I have has solid hard tires and made it worse to pull over the rocks.
    Last edited by txoutdoorsman24; 08-19-2018, 05:13 PM.

Comment

I was just drawn for the Nov 30th. I am really looking forward to it....

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
        that community center is gonna be packed if every one shows up

There's three sessions, but yeah it was packed last year.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
          I would highly recommend the sit approach. You will make a lot people angry by walking around during hunting hours.

I have a 6 foot Breakdown triptop that I had built for laguna, but I found it easier to walk around with a chair and set up along a trail than haul around a tripod.
          Once you are a mile+ in you don't see many people. And even then those are the wandering type anyway so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

We "spoiled" a few people's hunts and had a few "spoil" ours (and Sneaky almost took an arrow to the knee) but it is what it is when you have 250 groups of people out hunting in one area... just be as courteous as possible and move along if you see orange.

Comment

it gets less and less busy each day. agree that most people stay near the road

these critters are big and tough, saw many arrows either taken in the chest, but missed vitals or that glanced off the hide when they ducked the arrow.

it is really important to take good quality shots at the vitals and know where the vitals are on a nilgai. if you miss the vitals, you will likely not find the nilgai.

Comment

Originally posted by NxSTexan View Post
              What draw weight are you all using for your setup? I'm prepping for white tail at 65#, but on the off chance I get a shot at a Blue, will it be enough? Shooting a Rage Trypan head.

I'm a stubborn sumbeesh so I'm bringing the strugglestick again.

64" Hoyt Satori 55# @ 28" with Black Eagle Instinct arrows + 250gr Valkyrie Blood Eagle broadheads.

My wife will have a crossbow as well to hopefully even the odds a bit.

Comment

This was my set up last year. It wasn't easy but definitely beat walking in to the back. I did over 8miles the day I decided to move my set up. The hunt kicked my butt but was extremely gratifying. Pushing yourself to the limit and sharing your stories with everyone else that was doing the same was cool. Napping in base layers and socks to relieve the feet and bs'n was worth it. Everyone is given the exact same opportunity and working their butts off and just waiting for luck to give them one shot. Freakn blast man. I'm hooked.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	ref.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	24550634

Comment

Nice Pig Jr!

Originally posted by redneckmarine75 View Post

Comment

Originally posted by PBUCKSHOT View Post
                    This was my set up last year. It wasn't easy but definitely beat walking in to the back. I did over 8miles the day I decided to move my set up. The hunt kicked my butt but was extremely gratifying. Pushing yourself to the limit and sharing your stories with everyone else that was doing the same was cool. Napping in base layers and socks to relieve the feet and bs'n was worth it. Everyone is given the exact same opportunity and working their butts off and just waiting for luck to give them one shot. Freakn blast man. I'm hooked.
                    [ATTACH]920901[/ATTACH]
                    How often did you move positions? What's your maintenance packing look like for the bike?

Comment

How often did you move positions? What's your maintenance packing look like for the bike?
                      I won't advise constant moving. That's a call you make in the field depending on your situation, changing conditions, pressure, and confidence in your area.

I will advise that not preparing your bicycle will cost you frustration, lost time and possibly a destination you were seeking first. Walmart- Slime your tubes, pick up tube protectors. Carry a patch kit, and a CO2 cartridge for light weight, or like me, just bunging an bike air pump to your bike, it'll get you back, if the others fail. Many may call BS, but I've bet I've biked well over 60 miles during my hunts and scouting there, I experienced one substantial puncture in which my tube began spitting slime out on me as I was riding out one afternoon, I quickly began peddling as hard as I could to make up as much distance to the truck before it went flat, it sealed and did its job. Still holding to this day, almost a year later, and almost 3 years after installing the slime/flat protector. Point and case, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Comment

Originally posted by redneckmarine75 View Post
                        Me too! Me and my buddy sneaky are drawn for the 30th as well. He got one last year. Young bull
                        Last edited by NAVY CHIEF; 08-21-2018, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Well his group got one!

Comment

What arrow is every one shooting. I’m normally a 500 gr. Person, but I want to try a 315 gr nanook and the new TDT from grizzly stiks. So it’s going to be way over 500gr. Should be over kill.

Comment

Another question. Some are talking about tri pods. When talking height are we talking butt height or eye height

Comment

i moved three times but wouldn't recommend it. I would of stayed at first spot but I had a noisy neighbor move in. Last spot was an area I wanted to scope out in hopes for getting drawn this year. ...im going back to it. Get some spare slime filled tubes from WalMart. I laid my bike down on some thorns and I thought a rattler was hissing at me at 0500. Freaked me out. The bike I have has the quick release wheels so it was a breeze to change out the tube. This year im packing heavy and settin up for long stays in a pop up. Hauling the generator in last

Comment

Working...
                                X