Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

North Texas food plot?

Got a nice area prepped and ready to plant in Grayson county
    What do y’all recommend to make deer happy and provide them with an irresistible food source?

If it is your first time planting a food plot, go with wheat, oats and rye. 80 lbs to an acre.

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
      If it is your first time planting a food plot, go with wheat, oats and rye. 80 lbs to an acre.
      Yes it is the first time. Just want to plant something that will do well.

Comment

soybeans or wheat

Comment

Food Plot

Originally posted by Arrowflinger84 View Post
          soybeans or wheat
          soybeans will die fst frost...Oats are fast but cold hurts /wheat /elbon rye/arrow leaf clover do well with cold...just slower coming on

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
            soybeans will die fst frost...Oats are fast but cold hurts /wheat /elbon rye/arrow leaf clover do well with cold...just slower coming on
            True

... but we get first frost late December and it gets cold enough to burn oats late January. It works here. It ain’t Wisconsin like all the YouTube planters harp on. Always mix beans of some sort in fall plots for drawing power. Oats are preferred here and will feed 3/4 of the season. After that wheat and rye can take over.

Comment

I would bump that up to 100lbs
              50 oats
              25 wheat
              25 rye

Comment

Disk my plots last weekend and plan on planting mine in a couple weeks. Going with wheat,oats,beets, and turnips 80 lbs per . Fertilizer 150 lbs per . Here is a link for the TPWD article for food plots. Good luck !

Comment

I use the deer mix from MBS seed in Denton, it's wheat, oats, rye, and Austrian winter peas. 100 lbs to the acre.

Comment

Originally posted by mclipp View Post
                    I use the deer mix from MBS seed in Denton, it's wheat, oats, rye, and Austrian winter peas. 100 lbs to the acre.
                    I used the same from MBS ... looked good all winter/spring.

Comment

I know I sound like a broken record on these foodplot threads ....... Buckforage Oats. try it you'll like it cause the deer do

Comment

Add a clover like Crimson to that and some cheap turnips and you’ll have an all year plot buffet. Crimson will reseed and pop in spring. Also, I’d go heaviest on the Cereal Rye as it’ll last longer into season than the Oats (Frost = dead) and also much better for the soil for future plantings. Maybe 75% Rye and the rest Oats/Wheat. Go back over the top with clover and turnips. Can also go back with another bushel or 2 about 3 weeks after planting and sow Rye again. It’ll create a layering effect with new growth and older growth as well as fill in the spots that didn’t germinate well the first round. Good luck
                        Last edited by mdnabors; 09-24-2019, 09:58 PM.

Comment

If we don't get some rain in North Texas, it won't matter what you plant because nothing will germinate. Or if it does, it will dry out and die.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Going to the co-op to buy seed in the morning.

Comment

Broadcast 100 lbs wheat/acre

Comment

Working...
                              X