Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions on caliber and type for mean cattle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions on caliber and type for mean cattle?

We have some extremely aggressive cattle that have a history of hurting people. I got hurt recently while having to get the mean thing to a sale barn. It had already hurt another guy the same week and tried to knock me down earlier that same morning he was injured.

I won’t be caught off guard another time. There are no do-overs after being killed or critically injured. From now on when we have any hard to handle cattle at the sorting pens or even while on horseback, I’ll be packing some iron. There have been at least two people life flighted from the ranch because of aggressive cattle. The first guy will never be the same again. He can’t work due to the injuries sustained.

Was thinking maybe a 44 mag holstered pistol would be good while sorting in pens and corrals. But on horseback I’ll also keep a rifle handy too. More than one guy here has been knocked off a horse by a cow or bull. I refuse to be caught defenseless in these type situations. I’ve been using a 45-70 rifle.

What do you guys suggest for pistol and what type ammo? I really dont want to pack a really nice pistol, because it’ll surely get banged up.

Glock 20 10mm 220 gr hard cast

Comment

Working those crazy ones sure was entertaining in my younger years, but I wont have anything to do with them now. I like the suggestion above for sure

Comment

12ga 6 shot always adjusts attitudes for me.

Comment

375 H&H

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’d be way more concerned about you with a pistol in the pen than I would be any **** cow. Can’t say I’ve ever heard of someone shooting a cow to protect himself while working them.

Comment

Seems like firing pistols while working cattle in pens is a great way to get someone shot?

Comment

44 mag Ruger Blackhawk. Most any hunting ammo should work

Comment

I think you have a handle on the situation. I with trail dust 10mm between the eyes should be pretty effective. I've seen a salty cow hit with a .40 s&w in the body, it didnt kill her but she stopped her **** immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
                    I’d be way more concerned about you with a pistol in the pen than I would be any **** cow. Can’t say I’ve ever heard of someone shooting a cow to protect himself while working them.
                    You haven’t worked one of the facilities where there is no way to put a boot in the fence to climb over. The spacing is too narrow to put the tow of boot in. That’s the same spot where the one guy was seriously hurt while sorting. He was too short to jump over like I sometimes do. You’ll get a serious wake up when working cattle out here sometimes.

Comment

You need good dogs.

Comment

You need about 6-7 mean *** cow dogs and a good cow working mule. They will solve the mean cow crap real quick. Last thing you wanna do is start shooting in and amongst other cattle and those working them. That is just stupid. and if others have been hurt by the same mean cattle that is just stupidity on y'alls part for keeping them.
                        Last edited by BrandonA; 08-23-2019, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
                          Seems like firing pistols while working cattle in pens is a great way to get someone shot?
                          That’s with people who don’t think about what’s behind a target when firing. We barely got to one guy in time when a cow got him down. Once a person’s chest gets caved in by a 1,300+ pound cow, your chances of survival are slim.

Comment

Probably need to ask the man that owns the cattle before you start plugging them, specially if they in a pen.

I might not want my hands shooting one of my cows just cause he says its rank. A feller might get in trouble.
                            Last edited by Radar; 08-23-2019, 08:57 AM.

Comment

I got a better idea:

Start selling wild cow hunts. Once all of them are dead, go buy some tame cattle.

Comment

Working...
                              X