Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mountain Lion Management in Texas is coming

I heard about this on the radio yesterday:

TPWD to create a work group to create a plan to manage Texas mountain lions. This was from the August 25, 2022 hearing.

On June 13, 2022, TPWD received a petition for rulemaking from the Texans for Mountain Lions Coalition. Mountain lions in Texas are classified as a nongame species under Parks and Wildlife Code, chapter 67 and TPWD does not regulate their take. The petition requested that TPWD promulgate the following specific regulations:
    1) a requirement that mountain lions intentionally taken for any reason be presented to the department within 48 hours of take,
    2) a 36-hour trap check requirement,
    3) a regional bag limit of five mountain lions per year in South Texas, and
    4) prohibition of “canned hunting” of mountain lions.

The petition also requested that TPWD:
    1) initiate a statewide study to identify the abundance, status, and distribution of the mountain lion populations in Texas, and
    2) form an ad hoc stakeholder advisory group composed of representatives from hunting organizations, livestock organizations, wildlife conservation organizations (non-hunting), outdoor recreation organizations (non-hunting), animal welfare organizations, independent mountain lion biologists, TPWD biologists, and TPWD policy managers to collaborate with TPWD to write a mountain lion management plan for Texas.
    I know many may think I'm overreacting, but these work groups tend to lead to more and more regulations and eventually outlawing the activity. It happened in several western states. Be diligent. Watch this group closely.

I agree, it leads to more regulations.

Comment

The group is actually tasked to find a way for the state to make money on Mt lions. Out come will be more regulations.

Comment

Why not just ban mountain lion hunting altogether. It worked out well for California. Better bring Fido in the house at night though.

Comment

Mountain Lion stamp on your hunting license will be next. Tack on $7 more.

Comment

Thanks for bringing this up, I hadn't heard of it. The filmmaker behind it all (strike 1) lies through his teeth in the newspaper pieces they've put out.

Comment

I am an avid hunter, conservationists and Texan. Personally, I believe we do need some form of study to determine if regulation is necessary for Mountain Lions in Texas. With more and more population growth, habitat is increasingly diminishing and I’d venture to say the number of hunters in the woods are increasing as well, especially with the growing “organic food” movements. I’d really like the opportunity to see mountain lions survive so my kids and their kids have that opportunity. If you believe we should have seasons, bag limits and regulations on Whitetail deer, why the heck wouldn’t you ant one on Mountain Lions?

Comment

Won’t be long and we’ll have a mountain lion stamp. Or some other way to milk some money out of people.

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
                  The group is actually tasked to find a way for the state to make money on Mt lions. Out come will be more regulations.
                  That’s what I’m thinking. The various governments just can’t get enough of our money.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                    I am an avid hunter, conservationists and Texan. Personally, I believe we do need some form of study to determine if regulation is necessary for Mountain Lions in Texas. With more and more population growth, habitat is increasingly diminishing and I’d venture to say the number of hunters in the woods are increasing as well, especially with the growing “organic food” movements. I’d really like the opportunity to see mountain lions survive so my kids and their kids have that opportunity. If you believe we should have seasons, bag limits and regulations on Whitetail deer, why the heck wouldn’t you ant one on Mountain Lions?
                    I agree with you that I support a study if there's not one already ongoing.

To answer your last sentence, without data there's nothing to say it's necessary. They might get along fine anyway, being an elusive species in no danger of broader extinction. I don't support limits for limits' sake, that's no more scientific than no limits for freedom's sake.

Comment

We can thank Ben Masters for this most likely. The way he portrayed mountain lions and the trapping in his movie “Deep in the Heart” was pretty ugly and inaccurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                        Won’t be long and we’ll have a mountain lion stamp. Or some other way to milk some money out of people.
                        Have you ever seen any on your South Texas place?

Comment

and whats next after this , regulating coyotes , tags for hogs (like in cali ) just another way for them to be up our butts and in our wallet and have more goverment jobs for lazy .

Comment

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
                            Have you ever seen any on your South Texas place?
                            Never have. Only ones I have seen in the wild were down around Encinal. Parks and Wildlife had a collaring program. I got to go along when they collared some kittens.

Comment

More lions are in Texas now that 50 years ago. They do well enough when left alone. Keep things the way they are and they will do just fine. This is California come to Texas crap.

Comment

Working...
                              X