No announcement yet.

who remembers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys are babies. My first car was a 31 model A, 5 window. Starter was shot but I had a crank. We did push start it when we couldnt get it to crank up. Harder to start than an old Harley.

Comment

List would be a lot shorter if you had ask who has never done it.

Who all hasn't put a screwdriver across a solenoid to get one started?

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post

The first time I did that I used a cheap old pair of pliers and my palm was dead center of the working end. It put a perfect weld in the center of my palm lol! Hard lesson learned @ 15

Comment

I started driving on a 47 Willys jeep. Kept a chain wrapped around the front bumper for pull starting it. The stars had to be lined up with the moons of Uranus to get it to start off the battery.

Comment

Had a friend get run over by his own truck doing this.

Comment

Also me and my friends did our own repairs on those old clunkers we drove in high school.
              Changed points and plugs, packed wheel bearings, changed brake pads, etc.

Comment

67 VW Fastback.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelmat View Post
                  Yep. 1970 El Camino with a 3 on the tree. Good times!
                  That was my first car too. It had a 307 in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
                    The first time I did that I used a cheap old pair of pliers and my palm was dead center of the working end. It put a perfect weld in the center of my palm lol! Hard lesson learned @ 15
                    Yuuup. This is exactly what I was going to add. Back when the starter solenoid was eight dollars and you didn’t have eight dollars. 😂

Comment

It was not very often, but yes, I could if needed.

Comment

Did that so many times I couldn't even count. Had an old Ford tractor that after a while I began to think that the screwdriver across the solenoid points was the way it was suppose to start.

Comment

70 model Chevy SWB pickup with "three on the tree"
                          Always looked for a spot with a little downhill slope and pointed out of space

Also broke the shifter and for a few weeks it was make sure you never got in a position you needed to back out of, take off in 2nd and shift to 3rd

Comment

Pepperidge Farm does.

Comment

I remember light dimmers on the floor and my dad had an old truck with the starter button on the floor.

Comment

I've seen two guys die doing that. One stopped his heart and the other got ran over. Never will do that one.

I had an 80s model Chevy and the ignition went out while it was running, key turned back and came out. Some old codger we were with gave me a pair of "electrician's" gloves and told me to pull the main wire on the distributor cap. The truck shut off, but not before hammering me about 10 times as the engine came to a stop. I didn't think it was near as funny as he did.

Comment

Working...
                                X