No announcement yet.

who remembers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a buddy with a ‘50 model flathead ford, 6volt system. I swear we push started that sucker more than it ever started with the starter.

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
      68 Camaro, did it several times unfortunately.
      Yep, always tried to park backed in and on an incline. It didn’t like to start when it was hot.

Comment

Did for a while on my 91 f150.
        Didn't have money for a battery for a few months.
        My wife (girlfriend at time) was extremely embarrassed when I'd park in back parking lot so I could get a running start. Lol.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

Not a car but an old 80's model 3 wheeler and our John Deer 1010 tractor. Not sure if I have been in more trouble than the day my Dad had me pull that old tractor with our Jeep Wagoneer to get it started. I was maybe 11 or 12, and we hooked up the chain and I eased into it and got it going and my Dad was on the tractor, popped the clutch and got it started and so I just figured we were done and slammed on the brakes. Needless to say, the chain wasn't that long and he plowed right into the back of me and busted both front tires. He was a little fired up....

Comment

In college I had a 1970 Triumph GT6 that had electrical problems causing the battery to die quite often. I could neither figure it out or afford to pay somebody to figure it out so I push-started it for several months. Fortunately that thing was as light as a golf cart so on flat ground I could easily run along pushing on the open driver's door, jump in, dump the clutch and take off. As mentioned above, girls were not impressed

Comment

Worked on a 97 F250 with the 460 and 5 spd, that 1st gear was loooooww

Comment

Oh, the good ol days !
                At least we had options.
                Now if your battery or starter out, your just down.

Comment

I also Remember turning the key thinking you had it in neutral, but it was actually in gear & then lurched forward making your heart skip a beat.

Comment

Did it with a 76 Jeep CJ5 and an 81 Toyota truck in high school (used their starter batteries for a trolling motor battery in a beater, leaking, JB Weld covered 14' jon boat fishing with no gas motor) around the hill country area. Continued that all the way up until 1993 in college when I was using my truck battery for a trolling motor battery at Lake Ray Roberts. I did that in a 1989 Chevy Cheyenne then. I'd carry that bastage from the truck in the parking lot all the way down the Buck Creek boat ramp stairs to my beater 16' jon boat to bass fish and back up to get it installed and jump started. Never got stranded thankfully although I played with fire for a long time doing that. I popped more clutches than the average guy for sure. Needless to say the battery post nuts were always almost rounded off in my vehicles.

Bought a used 1976 Ranger tri-hull for $1500 in 1993 that let me pay it out and put trolling motor batteries in it so I never had to mess with it again. Poor college kid had poor college kid ways if they want to fish..
                    Last edited by Smart; 09-26-2022, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                      Did it a few times with a 97 Ranger

84 Chevy S10 here! More times with 4 wheelers than the truck though thankfully!!

Comment

Many times with my '74 F100 with three on the tree. Another fun trick was cruising down the road at highway speed, throw it in neutral, turn off the key, pump the gas a few times, then fire the ignition. I could usually get a pretty sweet backfire out of her and scare the crap out of the person in the lane next to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Duane View Post
                          Many times with my '74 F100 with three on the tree. Another fun trick was cruising down the road at highway speed, throw it in neutral, turn off the key, pump the gas a few times, then fire the ignition. I could usually get a pretty sweet backfire out of her and scare the crap out of the person in the lane next to me.
                          Had to weld up the exhaust manifold a few times doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by Duane View Post

Good times right there!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                              Had to weld up the exhaust manifold a few times doing that.
                              I did unzip a muffler once

Comment

My father and his stupid 60’s vw bugs! Every school morning and to church on sundays! I think that junky corvair he had was the same way. Good Times lol

Comment

Working...
                                X