A few summit viper mods I’ve made over the years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few summit viper mods I’ve made over the years

After sitting days and days.... and days on stand your mind wonders eventually and leads you too some “what if” ideas. I’ve put a few in place ver the years on some of my vipers. I bought this viper here on classified for $75!... been up tree in his yard once

These are a few of the mods:

Foam padding!

Take the factory pads off. Save them for walks to the stand when your morning coffee kicks in. Use them to wipe your *** cause that’s all there good for. Only do too rail. Use pvc foam insulation and camo duct tape (camo of your choice). It makes the halves pack tighter, quieter and your release won’t clink wherever the pad isn’t!

Probably done a dozen like this. It’s 1000x better
    Attached Files

Some models came with this mod. Mine didn’t... so I upgraded ALL my mobile stands with this upgrade package. It comes with straps and tether. All are “scrunchy”. They are super comfortable for long walks and shock absorbing. But another advantage is how they suck down right before climbing and don’t droop down up in the tree and look unnatural. You can even place limbs in them for more breakup
    Attached Files

Comment

Tether that comes with it. Never gets caught behind cleats. You squat... it contracts. You climb it stretches.... brilliant!
      Attached Files

Comment

The seat !

While unmatched in comfort... and adjustable for “bow” or gun it still needed to be higher t allow for complete NO INTERFERENCE.

the metal clips are held on by metal hog rings. Take pliers and remove them.. save em. Now make them another 3” or so shorter and re clamp them. Now when you put the seat as high as it can go in “bow mode”!the rail will be at or below knees. You can now shoot at point blank range and sitting (to your strong side) wth zero rail involvement

And sitting that 2-3” higher in the seat allows you to use your pockets without staying smashed up
        Attached Files

Comment

Good ideas

I have a climber I bought off of here that needs a makeover when I get a chance

Are those Summit brand pack straps and tether?

Comment

Looks good.

Mollie pack straps are a huge step above those summit straps. Adds a waist strap.great for those long walks in.

Also look at "Tennessee two straps" to replace tether. These are adjustable straps on each side connecting top and bottom. Cinch them down when set up and make for soiled lock up, a huge improvement. I do not know why every stand does not use this system.

Comment

In on this one - I have two that I need to re-condition. On a related note - how often (if ever) do you guys replace the tree cables. Mine have obvious wear on the coating and a small amount of surface rust. No nicks or frayed steel cables...

Comment

tagged

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                  Good ideas

I have a climber I bought off of here that needs a makeover when I get a chance

Are those Summit brand pack straps and tether?
                  Yes. And the way they cinch up and grip there’s no need for chest or waste belt. But anything over gun sling style straps is better. The tether is like a bungee cord

Comment

Originally posted by kgrutzmacher View Post
                    In on this one - I have two that I need to re-condition. On a related note - how often (if ever) do you guys replace the tree cables. Mine have obvious wear on the coating and a small amount of surface rust. No nicks or frayed steel cables...
                    I have several stands that I rotate using so I get 3 or so years. But now you can buy just the heat shrink tubing from summit cheap.... the cables aren’t very expensive if I remember correctly

Comment

free picture hosting

painted with durra coat

Comment

You can tell from your pic how much I raised seat. It’s not impossible to shoot sitting.... but almost and when standing close shots the rail can be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                          You can tell from your pic how much I raised seat. It’s not impossible to shoot sitting.... but almost and when standing close shots the rail can be an issue.
                          Ya, I agree. Lifting the seat is solution is great.

I do have a mesh sling seat which does raise the seat level, but just not as comfortable. I think the straps is one of the best things you can dot any climber. Rock solid connection to the tree. It makes the upper and lower sections act as one and forces more pressure into the tree teeth using your own weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                            The seat being low can be an issue. I shot at a buck at 10 yards and when I released the bottom cam rotated and hit the railing. Caused me to shoot just under the buck.

I have done all of these changes you have over the years, except for the bungee tie between the top and bottom. I just have the regular paracord rope between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by kgrutzmacher View Post
                              I just finished 5 days out of state and on way home picked up some new shrink wrap for cables. The complete cables are $49.95 and the shrink wrap is $24.95. Took about 5 minutes to have both ready to heat up. But it’s a lot of cable. Probably took 20-25 minutes on heat gun but look as good as factory.

Note: don’t think you can double up on the old tubing. It won’t fit into grove if you do... ask me how I know

Comment

Working...
                              X