Give me some room!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Give me some room!!!

I cannot stand people who tailgate. There's absolutely no reason for it.

Last night I had to go pick up my cow and bull from the vet. I usually drop them off the night before, let the vet do their thing and pick the animals up the next night.

So there I was, driving home on FM 485 at 8 pm. I typically only drive 55-60 in the 70 zone with my stock in the trailer because I want people to pass me. Trust me, this is the safest for you and me.

A little car (2000 model Honda sedan?) turned with me onto 485 from Highway 6 at the Love's in Hearne. And immediately tailgates me. What ever. I figure the idiot was in a hurry and would pass me at the first opportunity. Except, they were so close they couldn't see around me to pass.

We approach the Little Brazos and there is a 3/4 mile passing zone. You know what that little twerp did? He turned on his brights, I guess thinking he was going to intimidate me into driving faster. I laughed. The stock in the trailer kept the lights off me so I slowed down.

Once we passed the Little Brazos, there is about 2 miles of flat, straight clear road to the RR tracks and another 2 miles from the RR tracks to the Big Brazos. Did he pass me? No, at least not right away. He keeps his bright lights on for about a mile past the Little Brazos. Meanwhile I'm driving slower. Now I'm down to 48 mph in a 70.

He finally turned off his brights and backed off then passed me. I shook my my head. Idiot. There was a train blocking the tracks and the semi truck in front of me was slowing down. About 700 yards before the tracks Idiot passes the semi truck and of course has to slam on his brakes. People like this are in a hurry - a hurry to die. smh.

After the train left and the road opened up, he zigged in and out to get ahead of everyone. I was the last one in the line and grateful for it.

Why? Because I have to make a right hand turn on the outside of a left hand blind curve and the road I'm turning onto is more than 90 degrees back to the right. In fact most semi trucks cannot make the turn and have to go make a turn around on the loop about 200 yards up the road. Easily 50% of the people behind me try to pass on that blind curve. The first photo below is my turn. The bend is also the high point of a hill.

The day is coming when I'm going to be making my turn, someone is going to try to pass and hit someone head on.

Back off and give me some room. The 30 seconds it takes to slow down, pass or allow me to make my turn isn't going to change your destination time. Trust me. I don't want this to be my photo. (btw - this happened on Sept 5, 2019 in NY, the driver of the car was killed and one cow of 12 died.)
    Attached Files

My turn is at the green sign. And can you believe people pass me ??
    Attached Files

Comment

Agree 100%. My wife hauls her horse all over the place. Most people are respectful - but it only takes one idiot to ruin your day...

Comment

Don't be in a hurry to die. Nice write up.

Comment

If the question is "can you believe" and it's about Texas drivers then yes, I can absolutely believe it.

Comment

Originally posted by 3DW5 View Post
            Don't be in a hurry to die. Nice write up.
            Yep! Driving slow is not always that bad. Stay safe

Comment

Def did not read

Comment

Feel better ?

Comment

I could write a book on this stuff.

Why do people speed up on the interstate when attempting to pass them? Then they slow back down when you cant make the pass, or you get past them and they pass you again.

Maybe cruise control and turning signals are optional on new cars these days.

Comment

Ive noticed alot of young white males driving and acting this way in particular. Ive seen it several times around WilCo where a 2 lane road that allows passing gets turned into a double line no passing after some impatient yahoo T-bones somebody turning.

Its just a matter of time. I agree Mr Britches...this is Texas...weve got room...use it. It took me a long while to understand why people drive 5 under speed limit and have space...versus the sheeple running as a nut to butt herd 10 over speed limit.

Comment

Devils advocate:

In the 3/4 qt mile passing zone why didn't you just slow down to force him to pass you?

Comment

Well written
                        Thanks for the PSA

Comment

Hope your cows crapped all over his car.

Comment

If I get someone on my *** like that and they won’t or can’t pass me I’ll just pull over and let them go. [emoji2368]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                              If I get someone on my *** like that and they won’t or can’t pass me I’ll just pull over and let them go. [emoji2368]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Can't do that on 485, especially with a load of cattle.

Comment

Working...
                              X