No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

Comment

Comment

Heading Out To Number Six Sunday Morning If Anyone Wants To Go?

Comment

Did Santa find you in the woods? DM.

Comment

Hello all,

new to this thread and was just currious as to how to be able to hunt in this area for hogs.. Don't know if there are any special permits or passes needed. Any info would be much appreciated.. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Rsilva_00 View Post
              Hello all,

new to this thread and was just currious as to how to be able to hunt in this area for hogs.. Don't know if there are any special permits or passes needed. Any info would be much appreciated.. Thanks
              There are really only four main rules to be sure to follow:

1. Have your Annual Public Hunt endorsement on your hunting license.
              2. Wear your hunters orange!
              3. Archery *only* for hogs - no cheating with shotguns.
              4. Don't stray from the fenced WMA boundaries onto private land.

Comment

Walk into the wind. Walk slow with an arrow ready.

Comment

And have a good aim Good luck.

Comment

There are no hogs at granger haha

Comment

Did anybody make it out to hunt pigs at Granger during the ice storm about a month ago?? I had some good luck with deer and pig movement during that cold snap.

Comment

Who is bringing the coffee pot next weekend??

Comment

Went out this morning. What a crazy day it was. Pulled up to 9 and there was nowhere to park. I was hoping they were maybe deer hunters or duck hunters, but no...ran into two groups of hunters the first group of three were nice guys, the second set of four-eight! were apparently local boys that said TBH ruined this place (neither group was wearing orange for what it's worth - It's for your safety people!). I pressed past everyone in hopes to be the first to jump hogs. As soon as I crossed the big tree over the river branch at "The Spot" and crested the next hill, I spotted something dark laying in the creek. I was almost certain it was a hog and while I was moving to align a clear shot, a larger boar exploded out from the same area. I drew and fired, but he didn't make a sound. Figuring I missed, I drew back and fired at the other one...it didn't move...turns out it was dead. Went back to get the other arrow and there was blood on the vanes. Followed the trail for a good two hours (jumped one other hog, different color, while trailing) and lost the trail where he bedded down. As I am sitting there contemplating what to do next, two of the first three guys I met came bye. As we were bull****ting a good dozen large hogs exploded and run up the hill and to the left. I figure that was pretty good odds, so I took chase. Jumped them another two times, but never got a shot. Decided to go back to were the blood trail left off and ended up jumping what I think was the same shot hog. He was running slower that the others, but he pretty much disappeared before my eyes, and never was found again. While searching I came across two large brown piglets laying in the sun in a draw. I fired and missed and as they ran off a dozen others took off out of the bushes. As I am cussing, I look to my right and see a group of medium sized hogs. I fire again and just caught the side of a tree. Arrow broken, pig missed. I put in a couple more searches and then head out. Met up with the same three hunters again. As we are talking it up on the way out, we jumped yet another small hog. Nobody was ready and it disappeared too even though we fanned out and walked that way all the way to the trucks. Oh well. **** I'm sore.
                          Last edited by Removed; 12-28-2013, 04:00 PM.

Comment

The hogs are out and about for sure here lately. Last time I was out there I ran into two other groups of hunters as well. Getting crowded.

Comment

Originally posted by jkuroski1973 View Post
                              Went out this morning. What a crazy day it was. Pulled up to 9 and there was nowhere to park. I was hoping they were maybe deer hunters or duck hunters, but no...ran into two groups of hunters the first group of three were nice guys, the second set of four-eight! were apparently local boys that said TBH ruined this place (neither group was wearing orange for what it's worth - It's for your safety people!). I pressed past everyone in hopes to be the first to jump hogs. As soon as I crossed the big tree over the river branch at "The Spot" and crested the next hill, I spotted something dark laying in the creek. I was almost certain it was a hog and while I was moving to align a clear shot, a larger boar exploded out from the same area. I drew and fired, but he didn't make a sound. Figuring I missed, I drew back and fired at the other one...it didn't move...turns out it was dead. Went back to get the other arrow and there was blood on the vanes. Followed the trail for a good two hours (jumped one other hog, different color, while trailing) and lost the trail where he bedded down. As I am sitting there contemplating what to do next, two of the first three guys I met came bye. As we were bull****ting a good dozen large hogs exploded and run up the hill and to the left. I figure that was pretty good odds, so I took chase. Jumped them another two times, but never got a shot. Decided to go back to were the blood trail left off and ended up jumping what I think was the same shot hog. He was running slower that the others, but he pretty much disappeared before my eyes, and never was found again. While searching I came across two large brown piglets laying in the sun in a draw. I fired and missed and as they ran off a dozen others took off out of the bushes. As I am cussing, I look to my right and see a group of medium sized hogs. I fire again and just caught the side of a tree. Arrow broken, pig missed. I put in a couple more searches and then head out. Met up with the same three hunters again. As we are talking it up on the way out, we jumped yet another small hog. Nobody was ready and it disappeared too even though we fanned out and walked that way all the way to the trucks. Oh well. **** I'm sore.
                              Dude you had the bonanza afield, what a great day Great write up. I was getting excited with every sentence.

Comment

Well fella's long time hunter (2 yrs for hogs) first time poster for finally getting my first hog. We went out Carnage and I from #6 as Carnage suggested to another hunter for deer earlier. We met at 7:00 and I needed to site my cross bow in as I felt it was shooting to the left, we set up the target and sure enough it was about 1 foot to the left at 20 yrds. We corrected the crossbow (which I bought just for pig hunting) easier walking and jumping the hogs with a cross bow than a regular bow, unless I use my recurve which I have three to choose from, may be my next venture. Anyways back to the story as we were walking and we went thru one area and seen nothing so we started heading to #7 from # 6 and we were walking one of the thicket and we busted what we thought was a boar and Carnage and I decided to circle around and see if we could get in front and intercept the boar and we ran into another hunter which saw the boar and said it headed that way (pointing with his finger) So we continued THAT direction. We got up to where DM (Dirty Mike) was hunting last year before he hung it up because he had a new baby (you the man Mike) and we jumped the hog again and this time it was about 40 yrd away and would you not know it the hog made a fatal turn for the worst or good (depending on if you are the hog or me hehehe!!!) The hog cam running past us at about twenty yrd.
                                So I shot and Carnage also and I said I hit it and I think I hit it good, maybe a little quartering away but I watched it run with the arrow half in and I was so jacked up as this was the first hog I had ever hit and only the second one I ever shot at and running!!! All I can say is the good lord was looking over me as I am typing I still can't believe I hit this hog running.
                                I told Carnage that I hit the hog and it looked like a good shot. We went to where the hog was at when we shot and we found one arrow (which for a minute I thought was mine because we shoot the same arrows just different broadheads) so we started to track and we couldn't find any blood so we started to circle and we couldn't find any blood, after about ten minutes we started to look wider and every time I came across one area I could smell hog so we regrouped and started over, I was dumbfounded and said looks like we are in for a tracking jog and I ask God to give me the strength and ability to find this hog and I kid you not Carnage yelled I found him moments later. I am not a holy roller or anything like that I just believe in my god and WOW. So without further I would like to introduce you to MISS PIGGY.
                                We guess she was about 130 to 140. As for guessing weight I am pretty good just ask Carnage. I am so blessed this year and very grateful.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X