No announcement yet.

Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever since the beginning of this thread I have been meaning to ask about finding sheds in relation to these areas?

Comment

Number 8-- that's a hard one and varies a lot from place to place. If its a spot that I plan to start corning early, say a month before I think it will get good, I usually put out a bag and check it in three days. I adjust how much I put out by how much they are eating. many of these spots don't eat a lot until the pressure hits but its critical that I have them adjusted to me corning before that time comes. Remember, im often just intruding a few feet into the sanctuary. Many times, I actually throw the corn in with a bucket from across the fence of stream. Most of my spots have few hogs. they change everything.

In early fall, I just walk up making lots of noise and trying not to sound like a hunter. When the deer are really pressured in, I like to corn around 10pm and after the deer have moved out for the night. I always spray down with vanilla and NEVER, I MEAN NEVER use the same trail to corn as the one to my stand. They quickly learn where I walk in to corn and often watch or scent check that trail. I have watched them do this hundreds of times.

Comment

Man, one of the most difficult aspects of this style of hunting for me to reconcile, is hunting in thick areas where you just can't see very far. I love trying to outsmart whitetails but I also LOVE the sights and sounds of the big woods and love looking over a huge bottom with trees that are 3-5x my age. Until I finish my house, i'm still just hunting 1 or 2 times a year, and I don't get very excited about staring at a wall of briars if I go

Someday I will eventually discipline myself enough to do what it takes!

Comment

10 11- Mature deer may react this way under very little pressure. The heavier the pressure though, the better these spots get. The better the spot, the more likely it is that the biggest buck in the woods will be there. He will generally take over the corn pile and show up to assert his ownership every time another deer gets in the feed.

Its also common that when we kill the dominant deer, another stud will show up immediately. Deer of the same stature don't tolerate each other as well as clearly established pecking order deer do although at least three times in my life, every dang one of my hitlist deer walking in sequentially.

Comment

I have learned a lot from this thread and also helped me get my deer this year

thank you gar guy, keep up the tips and stories as well

Comment

Gar Guy

Gar Guy for President!!! I learn a ton from you!! Thanks a bunch brother.

Comment

11-14

Yes they stay productive year after year until something changes. Yes these deer use different sanctuaries a few miles apart. Sometimes he will just disappear with no warning. I don't know why but I figure there was an intrusion I never knew about. Last year I hunted that monster 8pt in two different counties and several miles apart.

The thing that totally amazes me year after year is how far deer will travel to a perfect sanctuary. I have learned to create these and on multiple occations, I have had deer show up in my sanctuary that I know for a fact had been headquartering several miles away. When the pressure got really bad, he picked up and came to see me...and got to ride in my truck. I can only speculate that mature bucks keep mental notes of the perfect spots as they travel.

On the question of travel. Most of these sanctuary deer are only there during the day. the often get there right at daybreak and leave right at last light. Many times I ONLY get daylight pics of these deer. late season, they may stay closer and that really makes it hard to get in and out without disturbing them. Cameras are a key element in determining when ol Big is getting home.

Comment

Originally posted by bwool View Post
                  Ever since the beginning of this thread I have been meaning to ask about finding sheds in relation to these areas?
                  yep.

Comment

VERY informative thread guys. Thanks so much for sharing y'all's immense knowledge with us. Y'all don't have to do it and lots don't but I want to thank you. Sure hope to share a fire with y'all one day.

Comment

I have bow hunted Bobby's twice (uncle). First sit I got skunked. Second sit I had a doe come in nervous then walked down wind and winded me. I quickly figured out that they were hearing/watching me come through that upper gate and walk down to the bow stand. They are bedded up in the woods to the left of the feeder. Trail cam shows that the feeder is COVERED UP both mornings and evenings all the time...except the two times that I hunted it.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                        I have bow hunted Bobby's twice (uncle). First sit I got skunked. Second sit I had a doe come in nervous then walked down wind and winded me. I quickly figured out that they were hearing/watching me come through that upper gate and walk down to the bow stand. They are bedded up in the woods to the left of the feeder. Trail cam shows that the feeder is COVERED UP both mornings and evenings all the time...except the two times that I hunted it.
                        Yep! do you remember the conversation where I said I would sneak down the edge of the pond on the other side of the dam and get in the blind out of sight?

Comment

Love them all, I felt like I was there with you. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                            Yep! do you remember the conversation where I said I would sneak down the edge of the pond on the other side of the dam and get in the blind out of sight?
                            Yep. I need to jump over fence where we left off diggin and come in that way and hit that pond dam.

Comment

Garguy, how much do you use satellite photos of areas to find a likely spot? I have been on the same timber company lease for 20 years. I have had to re-learn the whole 950 acres multiple times due to them cutting timber. I use satellite to find the areas that didn't grow back or where oaks are left, but I still can't seem to locate bedding areas or true sanctuaries.

Comment

Good stuff! Thank You again for sharing these nitty gritty details of what works for you with the rest of us. I've learned something every time you do it.
                                Last edited by Jesus is Coming; 11-20-2014, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X