No announcement yet.

First time CPAP user

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m on my 3rd week with mine and it’s gradually getting easier. I don’t have a problem falling asleep with it on, but if I wake up 4-5 hours into the night I can never go back to sleep without taking it off.

Comment

Stick with it. Life changing!

Comment

It does make it go away. It totally changed the way I feel throughout the day.

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
        Just starting cpap. Hope it works, feel like I'm half dead and running out of options...

For people who had severe lethargy, does it make that go away?

Comment

It’ll take a while to get use to it. But you’ll be glad you did. When I did the sleep test they said I was getting 70 percent oxygen to my brain. Suppose to be 94 or something. Wife took videos of me at night to convince me to go. I would go through the motion of taking a breath but not getting any until around the 6th time. Then only very little. If I hadn’t gotten one when I did I don’t think I’d be here now. I asked for a nose pillar type but have to have a chin strap to hold my mouth closed. Face use to be all red and tired all the time. Now I’m good. At first it felt like it was blowing so hard I felt like it was taking my breathe away. But I just keep putting it on and if I knocked it off just put it back on.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
            Does everyone get a CPAP through a doctor? Or can just anyone go buy one?
            Yup. It's an RX

Comment

Im afraid I’d roll over and strangle myself with the hose.

Comment

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
                Just starting cpap. Hope it works, feel like I'm half dead and running out of options...

For people who had severe lethargy, does it make that go away?
                Not for me, but I may have other issues also.

Comment

I think you can take a sleep test at home, rather than at a sleep lab which I had to do years ago where they hooked me up to electrodes and wires. I would get an MD to evaluate your home test results, recommend the best home test and set your pressure . My RX is a lifetime one, so I can order a new CPAP with it for life.

I use a full face mask and have a back up since the CPAP can go out on you like any machine. Also have a back up battery that can be charged with a solar charger or car charger durig power outages, as well as a wall outlet. I take generic Claratin daily to keep my nose unstopped. You will get tangled in your hose occasionally, but you will wake up and adjust it. I would be dead without it.

Comment

I've been using one for 25 years. Now I use the portable model that's has a battery. I have taken it climbing at 14k, napping in the duck blind, napping while glassing in the west, and use it at home. Only place I haven't used it is while in a tree. I use it for naps mainly because I'd make too much noise otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
                      Not for me, but I may have other issues also.
                      Dang. Sorry to hear that.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                        I've been using one for 25 years. Now I use the portable model that's has a battery. I have taken it climbing at 14k, napping in the duck blind, napping while glassing in the west, and use it at home. Only place I haven't used it is while in a tree. I use it for naps mainly because I'd make too much noise otherwise.

Which one do you use? Been looking for a portable solution to be able to go camping.

Comment

on another note, if you cant get used to the CPAP, go back and ask for a Bi pap. It senses you breathing out and decreases pressure until you are done, then builds back up. I have a bipap and i can not tell there is air being pushed in me. works amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasCanesFan View Post
                            Which one do you use? Been looking for a portable solution to be able to go camping.
                            I use the transcend. Have their battery, plug and 12v charger and solar charger. I have it set on automatic and don't have problems with it. It's bigger than a deck of playing cards (they advertise it's not) but it works for me in almost all camping situations. It's not cheap. The battery is around 250. But I've used the same battery for about 5 years. I run it off the battery and keep the battery plugged in. I get about 1.7 nights to a charge so in the Backcountry I need to charge it every day. I'll probably buy another battery so I can have one charging while I use one.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                              I use the transcend. Have their battery, plug and 12v charger and solar charger. I have it set on automatic and don't have problems with it. It's bigger than a deck of playing cards (they advertise it's not) but it works for me in almost all camping situations. It's not cheap. The battery is around 250. But I've used the same battery for about 5 years. I run it off the battery and keep the battery plugged in. I get about 1.7 nights to a charge so in the Backcountry I need to charge it every day. I'll probably buy another battery so I can have one charging while I use one.

Thanks for the info. I will look it up

Comment

I have the ResMed machine. My wife loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X