Laguna Atascosa 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
    I called and they said Unit 4 will be closed this year. Apparently, the map in the brochure was changed for next year’s hunt. Kinda sucks for us that were drawn this year. He also said something about being able to hint coyotes and opening up another 40k acres. Again, I think all this happens for the next draws.
    So it was a giant tease on their part? That's rude. They have reduced the numbers on the north side of the Arroyo enough through helicopter hunts that you don't see the numbers that you used to. But pretty soon those leasing the El Sauz (borders the north end of unit 4) will start hunting and push a bunch of nilgai down. If they do open it up next year, someone is going to shoot an absolute stud.

Comment

Originally posted by kmhudd View Post
      Has anybody heard how the nilgai fared during the freeze down there? I wonder if their numbers are a lot lower this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Only the old run down bulls from the rut were impacted. I hunted the Armstrong the following week and there were tons of nilgai running around. And I have driven past the refuge quite a bit on my way to South Padre during the spring and summer and saw nilgai almost every trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiburon1 View Post
        Only the old run down bulls from the rut were impacted. I hunted the Armstrong the following week and there were tons of nilgai running around. And I have driven past the refuge quite a bit on my way to South Padre during the spring and summer and saw nilgai almost every trip.

Thanks! That’s good to know, I didn’t want to waste a bunch of time and money chasing antelope that weren’t there.

Comment

Originally posted by kmhudd View Post
          Thanks! That’s good to know, I didn’t want to waste a bunch of time and money chasing antelope that weren’t there.

Posts 53-55 in this thread for reference.

Comment

I called and they said Unit 4 will be closed this year. Apparently, the map in the brochure was changed for next year’s hunt. Kinda sucks for us that were drawn this year. He also said something about being able to hint coyotes and opening up another 40k acres. Again, I think all this happens for the next draws.
            Well, the map has all kinds of inconsistencies. Unit 4 is marked with same cross-hatching as Unit 1 and Unit 6 (in the expanded view of the little inset). I'm going to rely on what the map that came with my permit says, and not what some unknown someone over the phone says, unless and until they send me a different map. So Units 1, 4, and 6 are open to archery hunting. I'm sure Unit 4 is absolutely loaded with nilgai, but you need a boat to get to it, right? I think that alone rules it out.

Comment

But THIS says "Subunit 6" is closed for the November "restricted" archery hunts:

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like ppeeks59.

This is like last year, when they did the ocelot counting. Does anyone know how many were counted? I saw and photographed one last year, and showed the officers the photos and location I saw it.
              Last edited by ppeeks59; 09-21-2021, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ppeeks59 View Post
                Well, the map has all kinds of inconsistencies. Unit 4 is marked with same cross-hatching as Unit 1 and Unit 6 (in the expanded view of the little inset). I'm going to rely on what the map that came with my permit says, and not what some unknown someone over the phone says, unless and until they send me a different map. So Units 1, 4, and 6 are open to archery hunting. I'm sure Unit 4 is absolutely loaded with nilgai, but you need a boat to get to it, right? I think that alone rules it out.
                I would love for that to be the case... I'll ride in your boat to Unit 4 lol

Comment

If they don't address it in the orientation, you would have a strong argument. And yes, you would definitely need a boat to hunt that section. The west end of that unit starts a little west of the boat ramps at Adolf Thomae. I normally see nilgai (cows and bulls) each morning when I head out to fish. If it's allowed, that's where I would be.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiburon1 View Post
                    If they don't address it in the orientation, you would have a strong argument. And yes, you would definitely need a boat to hunt that section. The west end of that unit starts a little west of the boat ramps at Adolf Thomae. I normally see nilgai (cows and bulls) each morning when I head out to fish. If it's allowed, that's where I would be.

Do you think there will be an in-person orientation this year? If not, I doubt they’ll address it in the generic video if they even update it for this year.

Comment

As I understand it, no boats are allowed, correct? Seems like a curious rule.

Comment

Anyone stayed at the Adolf Thomae RV park? Trying to decide if I should haul the camper down there or just find a hotel, ab&b.

Comment

When you apply for the hunt in the drawn system the discerption of the hunt has this sentence. "This hunt will be conducted on Units 1,2,3,5, & 8 only."

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                            Anyone stayed at the Adolf Thomae RV park? Trying to decide if I should haul the camper down there or just find a hotel, ab&b.
                            I was looking at doing it, but looking at how slow I go with camper and how much gas it will use. I decided against it. Also there is no grocery or gas station near that park, (that I can find on google maps). I ended up staying at a house in Laguna Vista. Less logistics to worry about, closest possible to the entrance, closer to gas and groceries and washer and dryer to clean off all the ticks every night.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                              The cost of the park is almost the same cost as a motel in Port Isabel/Laguna Vista. I always chose a motel and its close to restaurants, WalMart, etc.

Comment

Do you think there will be an in-person orientation this year? If not, I doubt they’ll address it in the generic video if they even update it for this year.
                                I am not sure. But if they do not, unit 4 (based on the map they provided us) is fair game for archery. I drew rifle, again, so I'm out.

Comment

Working...
                                X