No announcement yet.

Hagerman Hog 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my brother shot one more today. both of his had some pretty nasty "preexisting conditions".

we checked out after lunch and counted 22 on the log

Comment

Walked 18 miles yesterday and 12 today. Yesterday we had one big boar show up and I shot twice but never found blood.

Today we finally got into them on our last pre lunch push. I snuck into a sounder of 10 or so but did not see a trailing sow that sounded the alarm. As they started to run I held in an opening and fired at 4 different pigs as they ran through. Again no blood and nothing recovered. A few moments later my buddy gets some shots off 100 yards away. I look up and see another sounder off to my right. It was crazy for a while. Piglets are squealing and a few come up to my buddies boots but he does not have the heart to take them out. We move onto an adjacent patch of thick brush and the three of us do a slow push. I get lucky and catch a boar coming towards me. Hit him right behind the ear and it is lights out. Probably right at 100 pounds. While cleaning him 3 smaller pigs come by and my buddy gets one of them.

After lunch we head to the same spot and jump several pigs out of beds without being able to shoot. At about 5 we push the same patch again and I find a large lone sow and sneak to about 30 yards. She gives me a shot opportunity and I take her out with one shot just behind the upper shoulder.

I was surprised that the slug we were using passed all the way through the sow and dropped her.

Long day but lots of fun....y’all have fun on Sunday....we’re done

Comment

40 hogs in the log book on Saturday night

Comment

We will be there in a couple of weeks

I may go looking for the group I had a run in with during the deer hunt

Like to find that boar hog and run an arrow through him or some hevishot

Like JustinJ, we are tired of Paradise and their rules

State Park spot this year to see how that works with travel time

Comment

We got into two good sounders on the first day, and the second day were a couple singles and doubles. Turkeys were in good numbers in the units we hunted.

Comment

Haven’t posted in a while. My hunt started off Friday morning with the long walk down BM. Got past the second field and saw a lone boar trotting to the right of me in the swamp. Launched a slug at him and hit gut. He doubled over and hauled it. Never found any blood in the mud and water. Put in close to miles before I moved to Goode.

Got about two miles in to Goode when I spotted a sounder of big hogs about 60 yards in the thicket. Got down in the prone position and put my crosshairs between the eyes of a sow facing me. Right when I was about to pull the trigger, another stepped in front of her, perfectly broadside. I figured one in the hand is better than two in the bush, so I let the Brenneke Super Sabot fly.

Pigs went running and when I looked up, I saw a pig doing the dirt dance. Walked over to her and there was the base of the slug sticking out of her head!

I thought that to be a bit odd since I “thought” I was aiming behind the shoulder. Just then, I looked to the right and saw a ridiculous blood trail.

Followed it for 10 yards and found the actual pig I was aiming at dead under a downfall.

Two pigs with one slug. How sweet is that?! The slug hit the first pig in the heart passing through and striking the other pig in the head.

We also stayed at the Cove. We were in spot number one.

Anyway, here’s the pics:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hagerman Hog 2020

More pics:

Comment

What slugs/buckshot were y’all using? In the past, I hand loaded some steel slugs called the Gualbo. They are devastating on game and accurate out to 150 yards from a rifled barrel. We’ve killed quite a few of them in 12 and 20 ga. One year, I used Winchester XP with a tin core. Those are awesome but have been discontinued. I still have 4 boxes of them left. I also loaded up some non-tox AQ slugs for my buddy with a smooth bore.

Comment

What’s the word on segment B at Hagerman?

Comment

Originally posted by hogwired View Post
                      What’s the word on segment B at Hagerman?
                      As far as I know it is still going on

I decided I was needed more at the hospital so I cancelled, then dad and his friend decided to stay home to.

Could be someone hunting though

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                        As far as I know it is still going on

I decided I was needed more at the hospital so I cancelled, then dad and his friend decided to stay home to.

Could be someone hunting though

God bless you, friend.

Comment

They're huntn!

Drive through ea eve on way home.

Yesterday I seen all the signs up and several trucks parked.

I stopped by the place where my grandson has his "trap" out so I could bait it. I left and headed W towards 901.

Was bout a mile from 901 when I came up behind a guy walking. He had camo & a shot gun. He was headn W.

I pulled up and asked if he was huntn Hag (we're 3.5 mi from Hag). He said yes, but he was lost. Phone dead since 3 pm (its after 6).

He thinks his group is parked at BM picnic area. Said he started in the dark and didnt know the area. Came out on a road about 3 pm and took a left (a right would have put him at his trk in under 1/2 mi, lol.

I just laughed and told him to get in. Sure enough his group was sitn at the BM parkn area, kinda worried bout him.

He did say he'd killed 4 hogs!
                          Last edited by 12ring; 03-21-2020, 02:35 PM. Reason: #s

Comment

Originally posted by hogwired View Post
                            God bless you, friend.

Appreciate it

Originally posted by 12ring View Post
                            Drive through ea eve on way home.

Yesterday I seen all the signs up and several trucks parked.

I stopped by the place where my grandson has his "trap" out so I could bait it. I left and headed W towards 901.

Was bout a mile from 901 when I came up behind a guy walking. He had camo & a shot gun. He was headn W.

I pulled up and asked if he was huntn Hag (we're 3.5 mi from Hag). He said yes, but he was lost. Phone dead since 3 pm (its after 6).

He thinks his group is parked at BM picnic area. Said he started in the dark and didnt know the area. Came out on a road about 3 pm and took a left (a right would have put him at his trk in under 1/2 mi, lol.

I just laughed and told him to get in. Sure enough his group was sitn at the BM parkn area, kinda worried bout him.

He did say he'd killed 4 hogs!
                            Good you came along and good to hear some are still out whacking pigs

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
                              What slugs/buckshot were y’all using? In the past, I hand loaded some steel slugs called the Gualbo. They are devastating on game and accurate out to 150 yards from a rifled barrel. We’ve killed quite a few of them in 12 and 20 ga. One year, I used Winchester XP with a tin core. Those are awesome but have been discontinued. I still have 4 boxes of them left. I also loaded up some non-tox AQ slugs for my buddy with a smooth bore.

I bought a rifled barrel for my 1187 this year and these slugs did the trick
                              Attached Files

Comment

I was out there again this weekend. We got into 2 groups early Saturday and fired shots but nothing dropped and no blood. Later in the day we snuck into a big group and dropped a big sow. I sent the group back after them as I took out back straps and rear quarters. Just as I was finishing they fired a bunch. One of my buddies split open the top of the skull of a big and made quite a mess. She went down hard and was the cleanest looking wild pig I’ve ever seen. Both sows were 140 to 175ish.

We also found a huge shed that was crazy. 11 points and all kinds of weird things going on. It had a concave area you could stick your whole pinky inside. I took picks and put it back where I saw it.

Went out today and could not find them. Hiking through the sticky mud was a beat down.

Comment

Working...
                                X