No announcement yet.

2019 Hagerman Hog Hunt Seg A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9.25 miles for us today. No hogs seen. Saw fresh sign but no hogs. 10+ deer though

Comment

Been bad about updating. We got on some pigs yesterday morning. Couple shots from buddy’s with one pig down. Saw one group this morning but back in a dense thicket. I hunted solo this afternoon and stalked a lone boar to 20yds but when I went to step into a shooting lane I broke a stick and he was gone. Did see a nice buck today. One side had already dropped but the other was a heavy wide 8.

Seen a ton of deer and turkeys. Think we’re gonna sleep in tomorrow, but will be back next month for turkey.

Comment

Seems like numbers are way down. Did it seem like a lot of hunters bailed due to weather? Wonder if they did the helicopter swine slaughter again?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I saw one lone boar today after walking 4 miles.

Comment

We got into them yesterday and today, numbers seemed higher than normal. Ended up shooting 11 and had several blow opportunities. We are done for the weekend.

Also found lots of kilos from the helicopter hunt as well.

Comment

Rain has passed but the wind is howling up here. So glad I stayed home. Next time H.... Next time. [emoji1018]

Comment

We walked all day the first day and covered an estimated 15miles. (45,000 steps). We saw just as many tracks as in years past. We never found real heavy feeding areas or large nesting areas which is where we normally start to focus our hunting once we know where those areas are.

Day 2 was much slower and we teamed up with 3 guys we met during the hunt and did a wide push through an area we had killed 2 the day before a taken pigs from the past several years. On the way in my buddy asked if that was a pig in the private field and we all laughed at him because all 4 of us where sure it was a cow. We were 1/2 mile from it and it was clearly a cow just feeding. Well after splitting up and getting closer it became obvious it was a giant boar. We set up on a few places the pigs were entering and exiting th property and watched him feed for 15 minutes. Eventually the hog was 50 yards from one of the groups and th wind which had been blowing the other direction swirl and he lifted his head and took off running the other way. It was a fun time and we were hoping to get one and let th other group take it out as we had more meat than we needed.

Last night we cleaned up the 9 quarters and 6 backstraps we had hung in my shed. We will be grinding 10 pounds tonight for sausage and burger.

I’ll be at church today so we are done. Another great hunt. The last 5 years my group has taken 0 first year, 1 second year, 2 3rd year, 6 4th year, 3 this year. It is always a different hunt and fun to explore how the refuge has changed.

The hogs wer also covered in ticks. One of the front shoulders was so bad we just gave up on trying to take it. I hate those things.

Comment

Hagerman wins this time. Drove up Thursday not feeling very well, Friday was worse, sprung a leak-sorry guys for the big pile in Goode, headache, coughing, etc. Always take enough TP!

Went through Goode, lower Harris, Sandy off of Short road, and only saw what we think was a couple of pigs. Plenty of sign, hog highways, but no opportunities. No sure if it was the cold, 30's and very low 40's, or just a bad weekend.

Back home, stuff cleaned up and for the most part put away. Nice seeing JJ and his buds, Leon, and a few others.

Comment

Anybody know the total
                    Number of killed hogs ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SBXT View Post
                      Anybody know the total
                      Number of killed hogs ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      updates?

Comment

bump for info.

Comment

I never counted the totals, but based on those i talked to and being in the woods I’d say the kill numbers were down this year.

Comment

Way down from what I saw in the book. Friday seemed above average for us and we heard tons of shots but Friday we only saw one and never heard any shots.

Comment

I walked the Meyers for two days and only bumped/saw one. Trails everywhere, but nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by 2050z View Post

Office gets a new shed.
                                Anybody want to guess where this shed ended up?

It ain't in Texas any more

Comment

Working...
                                X