No announcement yet.

2018 LBJ Grasslands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had questions about the upcoming Turkey season at LBJ Grasslands. Any help would be much appreciated. I’ve done some research but just want to be 100% compliant.

1. Do you follow the county regulations in regards to the season dates and bag limit? So it would be March 30 to May 12?

2. I don’t see any extra fees for hunting, camping, or entrance (other than Texas hunting license and public hunting permit which I already have). Just making sure.

3. Looks like 2 camping areas, any recommendations Black Creek Lake versus TADRA point for tent camping?

4. Is it safe to use hen decoys there or best not to use decoys at all?

Any other information would be much appreciated.Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug1076 View Post
      I had questions about the upcoming Turkey season at LBJ Grasslands. Any help would be much appreciated. I’ve done some research but just want to be 100% compliant.

1. Do you follow the county regulations in regards to the season dates and bag limit? So it would be March 30 to May 12?

2. I don’t see any extra fees for hunting, camping, or entrance (other than Texas hunting license and public hunting permit which I already have). Just making sure.

3. Looks like 2 camping areas, any recommendations Black Creek Lake versus TADRA point for tent camping?

4. Is it safe to use hen decoys there or best not to use decoys at all?

Any other information would be much appreciated.Thank you
      1: County bag limits and dates.

2: Just need license and upland game bird endorsement. No APH needed for LBJ nut is needed if going to Caddo.

3: Fee areas at black creek lake, tadra point, and valley view camp areas. You can camp anywhere else without fees.

4: Use caution as always with decoys but still able to be safely used.

Good luck and have fun. Have seen turkeys but never come across them on public land. They have a very good sense of where to be to not get shot. I will probably be out there a bit this season as well. Probably going to hit up Caddo in search of Easterns as well this season.
      Last edited by RShockley; 01-22-2019, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RShockley View Post
        1: County bag limits and dates.

2: Just need license and upland game bird endorsement. No APH needed for LBJ nut is needed if going to Caddo.

3: Fee areas at black creek lake, tadra point, and valley view camp areas. You can camp anywhere else without fees.

4: Use caution as always with decoys but still able to be safely used.

Good luck and have fun. Have seen turkeys but never come across them on public land. They have a very good sense of where to be to not get shot. I will probably be out there a bit this season as well. Probably going to hit up Caddo in search of Easterns as well this season.
        Thank you for your help. I also plan to check out Caddo this season too.

Comment

This is confusing but according to this document you do need an APH permit for all Forest Service Lands. Please correct me if needed

What kind of licenses do I need to hunt on Forest
          Service land?
          Texas Hunting License on General Forestland and
          Texas Hunting License and Annual PublicHunting
          Permit(also referred to as‘Type II’ permit) on
          WMAs, with the appropriate endorsements;
          archery, migratory bird, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by TrophyClubHntr View Post
            This is confusing but according to this document you do need an APH permit for all Forest Service Lands. Please correct me if needed

What kind of licenses do I need to hunt on Forest
            Service land?
            Texas Hunting License on General Forestland and
            Texas Hunting License and Annual PublicHunting
            Permit(also referred to as‘Type II’ permit) on
            WMAs, with the appropriate endorsements;
            archery, migratory bird, etc.
            All you need on the LBJ is your Texas Hunting License with a turkey stamp. The LBJ Grasslands is not a WMA.

Comment

What that old guy with the cute dog picture said.^^^^^^^

Comment

any of yall going to be chasing turkey out there this spring?

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
                  any of yall going to be chasing turkey out there this spring?
                  I’ll be out there this season. First time public hunting turkeys so we will see how it goes.

Comment

Can anyone tell me why there is plenty of info on the web and booklet about hunting Caddo Grasslands but I can't find any info/maps for LBJ?

Comment

Originally posted by billythefish View Post
                      Can anyone tell me why there is plenty of info on the web and booklet about hunting Caddo Grasslands but I can't find any info/maps for LBJ?
                      Caddo is a WMA leased by TPWD from the forest service and required the AOH which is why it is in the book. LBJ is overseen entirely by USFS and is not apart of the APH. Maps can be found online but best way to get info is by stopping at the office in Decatur.

Comment

Caddo is a WMA leased by TPWD from the forest service and required the AOH which is why it is in the book. LBJ is overseen entirely by USFS and is not apart of the APH. Maps can be found online but best way to get info is by stopping at the office in Decatur.
                        Thank you, this schtick is confusing (Im Irish not American), you guys have so many departments and agencies...

Comment

Welcome to the Campfire Billy. Pull up a stump, have a sit, and warm your feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                            Welcome to the Campfire Billy. Pull up a stump, have a sit, and warm your feet.
                            Cheers, hoping to take my first recurve bow hog via Texas public land this year!

Comment

Originally posted by billythefish View Post
                              Cheers, hoping to take my first recurve bow hog via Texas public land this year!
                              Good luck and have fun. There definitely isn’t a shortage of hogs running around.

Comment

Good luck and have fun. There definitely isn’t a shortage of hogs running around.
                                Well. I may be a little portly but I definitely don't run.

Comment

Working...
                                X