THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JDVerfurth View Post
    Did quite a few weekday rattling sessions tried not to pîss off any of the weekend guys, with lots of little bucks interested but No real monsters wanted to play, rut was really kind of weird this season everywhere I hunted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I kinda experienced the same thing. I had a regular group of doe that came in just about every day I was there, but never had the good bucks with them. Had several small 8’s and 4-5 pts nudging them around, but never the shooters I were after. Saw a REALLY good buck early October, had him at 14 yards but mesquite was too thick to shoot. But nothing when the rut was kicking.

Comment

Not trying to bash TPWD but is it still closed to hunting hogs and predators in the off season? I understand non-hunters use it for hiking and stuff but if it’s not closed to non-hunters during season then it’s not a big enough danger that they should close it off to hunting in the off-season. Also is the duck hunting still only in the a.m.? Those were the changes that rubbed me the wrong way. Not so much the permit requirement.

Comment

donpablo,

TBR is open to hunting hogs (very rare sight on TBR at this time) and predators through February 24th, 2019 with the caveat that it's daylight hours only. We receive a number of calls each year with the question "is hunting season over at Twin Buttes" from the non-hunting public. I assume many of them are uncomfortable, for their personal reasons, accessing the property while a firearms season is in session, thus we are striking a balance between user groups. Currently, non-hunting permits (LPUs) outnumber APH permit holders by about 3 to 1; so we have quite a few non-hunters that are accessing the land. It's a relatively small piece of land and public access increases exponentially as temperatures rise outside of hunting season.

Waterfowl hunting is still only in the AM and if I recall I addressed the reasons for this rule in a much earlier post. This was a recommendation from our biologists with the intent that it enhances the quality of hunting. According to our biologist, eliminating evening hunts allows the birds to safely roost on the reservoir, and over the course of several years (4-5) this safe roosting spot is taught to offspring. We will continue to go with the biologist's recommendations for at least a few more years before we revisit the topic as we are just now wrapping up year three with the rule in place.

Comment

Twin Buttes Clean-up

All,

We are about 5 weeks out from holding another Twin Buttes Clean-up, which is scheduled for Saturday, March 2nd, 2019.

Our goal is to reach about a 150 volunteers and I will be meeting with several groups for coordination. We have a meeting scheduled for the 31st of January with some of our Off-road groups, which always have a strong showing, the Concho Bass Club, and a representative, Brandon Pilcik, from Backcountry Hunters & Anglers.

Brandon has a strong passion for public land and has taken a lead to help organize the clean-up. He's personally taken on the burden of representing the hunting community like many others have done with our off-road and bass club groups.

I'm once again reaching out to you to see if you will join Brandon and me to make a stronger showing from our hunting community. Please keep us in mind if you can spare a few hours of your Saturday to help restore Twin Buttes.

More details will follow after our meeting with specific times and places to meet on the March 2nd clean-up day.

Stay tuned,

Major Jason Huebner

Comment

I was hoping someone could help me with where the other entrances to area 9 are. I understood there were at least two gates besides the parking lot off spillway. Thanks for any help.

Comment

Area 9 Access

Comment

Thank you. I was not aware that the area towards the upper right was not part of area 9. I am wanting to do some scouting for a change of venue so thank you.

Comment

March 2nd, 2019 TBR Clean-up Event

Update: We are a go for a March 2nd clean-up. We had a good meeting last night with several reps from Ducks Unlimited, Backcountry Hunters & Anglers, Angelo State, along with a Kayak and Bike representative. The off-road crowd will take part as well and they will concentrate efforts on the north side of the north pool.

It looks like we'll kick off at 10 AM by meeting in two locations. One location will be the South Pool Parking area by the boat ramp and the other location will be at the North Pool Parking Area by the main boat ramp off of Twin Buttes Marina Road. Show up to either location as you wish.

We'll start the meeting at 10 AM with a quick safety briefing and issue out trash bags, water, and snacks. Please bring your own leather gloves and dress for the weather as appropriate. Game Wardens will be out there as well helping shuttle people and trash to the dumpsters as needed.

Thanks in advance and we'll keep you updated with more information as the March 2nd date approaches.

Major Jason Huebner

Comment

TGW, I think I met you a couple of yrs ago at a REAP harvest. We had a couple of GWs from San Angelo help us out. By chance was it you? This was in Odessa, Texas.

Cancel that, I just saw your a Major lol you wouldn't be out like that. Be safe.

Comment

If anybody here uses a Xbox, what distances do you set you points at. I feel like 30 yards should be the start point but wanted some feedback from some with more experience

Comment

So is anyone gonna try the long beards this spring?

Comment

Twin Buttes Clean-up

Thanks to all who participated in the clean-up: Backcountry Hunters & Anglers, Ducks Unlimited, Concho Bass Club, West Texas Boys Ranch, the Off Road Coalition, Dudes & Divas Kayak group, HEB, FedEx employees, the Game Wardens of Region 1, District 2, our admin clerk Phillip, and anyone else I may have missed. Truly appreciate everyone showing up on a cold, drizzly day and making a huge impact; we stuffed three 20 yard containers full of trash!

Comment

Originally posted by Jgriffith View Post
                            So is anyone gonna try the long beards this spring?
                            I'm planning on it - it'll be my first time there. I've read thru the post on here regarding TB and it has some pretty good tips - you might want to check it out. Have any of you ever camp out there - was thinking of doing it while turkey hunting - thanks

Comment

anyone killing any turkeys?

Comment

Wow, I've spent the last week reading through all 2,654 posts of this thread. I want to thank everyone for all of the great advice and information on hunting twin buttes. It is refreshing to see people so open and helpful about sharing their knowledge with others on a public land hunting location. I hope to make it out to twin buttes for a couple of hunts this fall. I'll probably be there in early October and again in early December. Maybe I'll see some of you then, and I promise that I'll do my best to respect existing set-ups and equipment. It is the least I can do after receiving such great intel in this thread. Thanks again and happy hunting!

Comment

Working...
                                X