X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any of you in unit 50 at the back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

At unit 30 scouting... I haven't even been blown at nor seen a deer one this morning! Tuff break...

Comment

Got a neighbor alittle close. Did not even see him slither up there. Little joker lucked out, I did not have my machete.

Comment

Originally posted by jbhunting39 View Post
          Got a neighbor alittle close. Did not even see him slither up there. Little joker lucked out, I did not have my machete.

Comment

Originally posted by jbhunting39 View Post
            Yes it has been. Not today. Over looking the creek bottom this afternoon. Got out alittle early to catch one sneaking back in after lunch.Will update if I put a hypodermic in something.

I know that spot. Bumped a deer out of it scouting.

You guys talking about walking a mile back what's your method once you have a deer down? Just curious, trying to decide what I am going to carry with me out there? I know this is personal to each. I can't make it out there till middle of next week.

Comment

Originally posted by BradyH View Post

You guys talking about walking a mile back what's your method once you have a deer down? Just curious, trying to decide what I am going to carry with me out there? I know this is personal to each. I can't make it out there till middle of next week.
              I tried that the further you walk the better your chances are the first year year I hunted there. After having to call my nephew ( much younger than me ) to come finish dragging it out. Now I hunt 20 to 100 yards from where I get out. You scout out of you truck in the off season driving the roads at daybreak and sunset find where they are crossing the roads and have your wife drop you off and pick you up. I have 3 really nice mounts on the wall from LBJ since I started doing that

Comment

I shot a doe 1.5 miles in last season. Luckily there was a guy camped at the gate with a game cart. Otherwise I would have quartered her where she died and hauled out in game bags. Just meat and leg bones dont weigh much. YouTube gutless method if you are not familiar. This is how I do it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Wrap in a double layer tarp, run paracord through all the grommets, attach rope, and walk. It makes a great drag.
                  Also, I have considered quartering, but I don’t know wether the USFS rules allow it.

Comment

I must not keep my eyes peeled as well as I thought out there. Never seen a copperhead or rattle big out there.

Comment

Originally posted by XBOW STALKER View Post
                      I must not keep my eyes peeled as well as I thought out there. Never seen a copperhead or rattle big out there.

Saw 3 snakes in the last 4 days 2 where copper heads

Comment

Where they bedded at the end of that finger of timber on the left side of the firebreak? Just when you start getting down in there

Comment

Originally posted by hogman$ View Post

That's awesome. Bet it will make a great mount.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I have a smaller frame pack I was thinking about taking in to the deeper places, just in case. I think I read you couldn't quarter them in the field, but I am not sure about that. This is the first year I will hunt out there. I will find out for sure before I head out there next week.

Comment

Texas regs regarding quartering are below and I'm not aware that they differ on public land. Froggy would know.

A deer and pronghorn may be skinned and quartered (two forequarters, two hindquarters, and two back straps) for transport, provided the quartered deer or pronghorn is tagged and proof of sex accompanies the deer or pronghorn. The four quarters and two back-straps are the only parts of a deer required by law to be kept in edible condition. Deer or pronghorn may only be processed beyond quarters at a location that qualifies as a final destination.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I have a smaller frame pack I was thinking about taking in to the deeper places, just in case. I think I read you couldn't quarter them in the field, but I am not sure about that. This is the first year I will hunt out there. I will find out for sure before I head out there next week.
                                I havent seen any different regs related to quartering on Public Land. I use the gutless method. If i'm in a stand, i use a Sherpa that converts my stand into a cart. During bow season, i like to stalk, so i quarter, de-bone, and pack out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X