No announcement yet.

Doves! Opening Day success thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got limits out on the Katy prairie Saturday morning... Great hunt, great fellowship and great eats after the hunt... we made dove ka-bobs with onions, peppers, bacon, etc... Our host's wife made a big ol pot of beans... we ate like kings!!
    My hunt was almost over before it got started... I was using my BPS .410 bore and shot my first bird with the first shot... pumped the action and tried to shoot that bird's buddy... gun wouldn't shoot!! Don't have a clue how, but the nut that holds the forearm to the slide assembly had come completely unscrewed and was lost!! I took the gun apart while doves were dive-bombing our Mo-Jo's and just put the slide assembly back on without the forearm... I was back in business!! Sure was surprising how much not having a forearm on the gun messed up with mounting and shooting the gun... I got it sorted out, but never got comfortable with it...

NOTE: The pics with me and my buddy looks bad as it looks like I'm pointing the gun right at his head... he was behind me a lot. It's just a bad camera angle...
    Attached Files

Comment

Limited out in special White wing zone both Saturday and Sunday. Birds were a plenty

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
        We had more birds than expected down in Mercedes...Farmdog lost the big field from the flood but was able to massage the smaller field closer to the house. Said the flowers were completely underwater at one point.

It all sorta came together last minute & difficult to commit the out of towers for a successful trip which was a bummer. Easy limits both days & man was it HOT.

Good to see Dave, Eldog & Legdog...sorry Agdog & crew couldn't make it this year!!

Saludos!!
        Glad to hear it! We were gonna come, but was still very iffy. Got an invite just off 1604 in SA. Killed 9 Saturday morning and 8 Sunday morning. Pass shooting high birds. Fun, but not WWA😄. Hope to make it back next year

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
          Lol. Get a pm yet Mexico? [emoji16][emoji28]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
          No sir

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Saturday morning hunt at a stock tank between Quanah and Childress. Limit in an hour hunting over a Mojo. It drew them in like a magnet.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hunted in Uvalde for 2 days with 8 hunters, I think we wound up with 65 birds between us all. Very slow action for our outfitter and another hunting the same fence line. That was an uncomfortable situation as we were landlocked in a sliver of a triangle between a right of way that one group was hunting and another disked field that another group was hunting.

This was our first time hunting the central zone in 8 years and we will just wait for the South opener from now on.

The guide next to us told his group that the day was free and they were going just outside and west of San Antonio for the afternoon hunt, about 90 minutes from Uvalde as that is where the birds were.

Several guides called their hunters midday on Sunday and told them to get in the field by 1pm as they were flying.

Comment

Another great gray dart shoot!... 27 mourning, 3 whitewing and 15 ringers in 1.25 hours with FND!

Comment

Dad and I killed over 100 birds in a week. Pretty good season this year.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Comment

Man, looks like you guys had a great afternoon - nice mess of birds!

Comment

El Campo had the goods today!
                      30 minute limits between 4:45 & 5:15.
                      Then it really turned on!!!
                      Could have shot another limit in 10 minutes.
                      The field was swamped in white wings as we packed up.
                      I haven't seen waves and waves of White wings like that in years!!!

Comment

Had another slow day, but it was enjoyable nonetheless. Ended up with 7 out of 10 overall. I started 2 out of 4 with my Citori 12ga so I switched to the Remmy 870 and went 5 for 5 before missing a Hail Mary to finish 5 of 6 with the pump. I seem to wingshoot better with the single barrel guns for some reason, but shoot sporting clays and skeet better with the over/under guns.....odd. BTW, my bird dog had a blast.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          Another great gray dart shoot!... 27 mourning, 3 whitewing and 15 ringers in 1.25 hours with FND!

is that who we think it is on the left ??

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                            is that who we think it is on the left ??

FND/ Fishndude? Yes.

Comment

Had a little slower 2nd day with the bird numbers but still plenty to dent some primers..[emoji41] 12 Eurasians and 25 mournings.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                                Had a little slower 2nd day with the bird numbers but still plenty to dent some primers..[emoji41] 12 Eurasians and 25 mournings.

Man, you guys did way better than me. I only fired 2, 2 stinking rounds all day! Came home with 1 Eurasian. I think the Tstorms wreaked havoc on the bird's flight pattern. Oh well, I'll try again next. wk.

Comment

Working...
                                X