Parent Stuff is Hard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parent Stuff is Hard

My son is 10 and had killed a couple of deer, but not this year. He had done all the right things except be at the right place at the right time. So last Saturday evening was going to be the last hunt for us.

At just after sunset a doe came in, one we recognized and a perfect one to take. She never gave good shot and with just a few minutes of light she turned but was mostly behind Cedar tree. He got ready because she was only a step or two toward the feeder from being a perfect shot. I watch the clock tick. She never moved and it went past legal light. I had to lean over and tell him to stand down, wasn't legal. He of course did and she of course took the step.

I know it was the right thing and he absolutely knew it was right. He is a great kid and will tell the story for years, but I sure wish he could of had the shot.

BTW, I cut the Cedar tree down then next afternoon.

Originally posted by Cowdog2005 View Post
    My son is 10 and had killed a couple of deer, but not this year. He had done all the right things except be at the right place at the right time. So last Saturday evening was going to be the last hunt for us.

At just after sunset a doe came in, one we recognized and a perfect one to take. She never gave good shot and with just a few minutes of light she turned but was mostly behind Cedar tree. He got ready because she was only a step or two toward the feeder from being a perfect shot. I watch the clock tick. She never moved and it went past legal light. I had to lean over and tell him to stand down, wasn't legal. He of course did and she of course took the step.

I know it was the right thing and he absolutely knew it was right. He is a great kid and will tell the story for years, but I sure wish he could of had the shot.

BTW, I cut the Cedar tree down then next afternoon.
    The right decision isn't always the easiest one to make. I'm sure once you explained to him, he understood, might not have liked it but i'm sure he knows why you wouldn't let him shoot.

Good job setting the right example and being the role model most kids need.. Their parents!!

Comment

Yep. But that's what makes it exciting. The whole you never know what's gonna happen

Comment

As hard as it was, that will be a GREAT memory for you both - not to mention a priceless life lesson for your boy. Good job, Dad!

Comment

Bummer, but nice work.

Comment

Good job dad

Comment

Raising him right!

Comment

He learned far more by not taking the shot. Good job!

Comment

Great job! I hate to tell you but that aint nothing compared to how hard it is to get them through those teenage years, lol. Keep having fun and making memories. It goes by so fast.

Comment

you got to spend time with him deer hunting... thats the important thing! Great life lesson learned.

Comment

A good life lesson.

Comment

Yep sometimes doing the right thing hurts us more than them.

Comment

You did good, teaching him the RIGHT way to do things!

Bisch

Comment

I bet that was tough, but the kid just learned a valuable lesson in integrity! Keep up the good work!

Comment

Originally posted by junkmanhunter View Post
                              The right decision isn't always the easiest one to make. I'm sure once you explained to him, he understood, might not have liked it but i'm sure he knows why you wouldn't let him shoot.

Good job setting the right example and being the role model most kids need.. Their parents!!
                              This is spot on!

Comment

Working...
                              X