No announcement yet.

Amistad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I looked up from my phone once to see an 8 point tail end completing his trot through my 20 yard shooting lane. I sat on that **** scrape for like 8 hours already and of course he trots through when I'm distracted and looking up football score lol.

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
      Anything moving? I'm up here for a few days.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
      Sat one morning a few weeks back and did not see anything... I was in three cause there were people hunting one by the time I got... Might go out tomorrow or Sunday morning... Good luck out there...

Saw two vehicles by the railroad signal box this afternoon... Have not seen to many vehicles out but the rain probably had so ring to do with that...

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
        Sat one morning a few weeks back and did not see anything... I was in three cause there were people hunting one by the time I got... Might go out tomorrow or Sunday morning... Good luck out there...

Saw two vehicles by the railroad signal box this afternoon... Have not seen to many vehicles out but the rain probably had so ring to do with that...
        One of those was mine. Seen about a dozen deer today, but they saw me too. Found a couple bedding spots so I might sit on one. I got no meat in the freezer.

I'll cut that guy I walked up on some slack. Met him later. He's 77 and still getting out there. Hope I can at that age.

Comment

I had another good time without taking a deer. I saw more deer this trip than any other. I undershot a doe this morning on my walk out, but had a great time and learned more about the place.
          Question though, I lit up three bedded deer with my headlamp on the way in this morning. Should I have just sat down and waited until daylight? I kept walking and they didn't spook.

Comment

IME they almost always end up moving the other way when they get up once they've seen me.

Comment

The wife and I are planning to go this weekend, camp and hunt for the first time. Anyone else going? What’s best place to camp? We are taking tent.

Comment

Here is the link for the campgrounds around Amistad...

Normally, San Pedro would be your best bet but it is currently closed. I would say Governor's Landing is the next best place... Good luck out here...

Comment

American campground has some small cabins, that's usually where I stay. I think you can also rent trailer spots for tent camping.

Comment

Originally posted by Sideler View Post
                    American campground has some small cabins, that's usually where I stay. I think you can also rent trailer spots for tent camping.
                    American camp ground doesn't allow deer hunters to bring deer on property.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunt3 View Post
                      American camp ground doesn't allow deer hunters to bring deer on property.
                      That's unAmerican!

Comment

Governors landing is noisy at night with the highway traffic. Bring earplugs if you don't want to hear 18 wheelers going by all night.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Gringolevi View Post
                          The wife and I are planning to go this weekend, camp and hunt for the first time. Anyone else going? What’s best place to camp? We are taking tent.
                          So I called because I'm going next week, San Pedro is where I've ALWAYS stayed and it's closed due to lack of use. That's a huge blow for me. If you and your wife want quiet seclusion hit Spur 406, bit of a drive but not too bad if hunting 1, 2, or 3. Be aware while camping alone I did have a 2 legged critter walking around my camp there late one night. 277N is where you'll want to be if hunting #5 and probably where I'll end up next week. My wife is coming down for that weekend as well, if yall make it two weekends in a row swing by and say hello. My wife would love to have another woman to talk to down there.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                            Here is the link for the campgrounds around Amistad...

Normally, San Pedro would be your best bet but it is currently closed. I would say Governor's Landing is the next best place... Good luck out here...
                            Spur 454 closed now too right? Lake level is too high I think? I don't trust the website to be up to date with ramp status, got burned a few times going by that.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                              Spur 454 closed now too right? Lake level is too high I think? I don't trust the website to be up to date with ramp status, got burned a few times going by that.
                              It's either closed or will be closed soon... I will check tomorrow on the way to or from work and update... Lake level gauge is not being updated on the web for some reason...

Website does say closed on the 454 day use /ramp area already but I will double check tomorrow and let you know...
                              Last edited by Pedernal; 11-07-2018, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Thanks bro, no worries if it's out of your way though I will call before heading down.

Comment

Working...
                                X