Got drawn for White Oak Creek WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got drawn for White Oak Creek WMA

Thinking I am going to take either my T/C 30-30 carbine or my 458 SOCOM. The 30-30 is ready to go. The 458 is kind of. I am going to try some new bullet and need to work up a load for those, but I think that's my top choice at this point. The 30-30 is definitely a lot lighter, and shorter, I have killed quite a few deer with it and a large hog, so it's proven, I know what to expect with it. I really want to try out the 458, I hear they have a lot of pigs up there. I put in for a gun deer either sex hunt, that's what I got chosen for.

Never hunted that part of the state or anywhere near that area, so completely new deal to me, also first time going on a drawn hunt. Got drawn for the first time last year, but could not make that hunt. That hunt I got drawn on last year, would have been a lot closer and probably easier hunt.

From what I am hearing, I need to get some mud boots. I think I am going to try saddle hunting. Still trying to decide on what all pieces to use. I have picked out a few options for each piece. I see pros and cons for each. I think the saddle hunting would be preferred way to hunt out of tree for me, because it seems like a more compact, lighter option. Still by the time you get everything you need, your carrying a bunch of crap out to a tree.

You get three days to figure out some place you have never been before in your life. I somehow got drawn for this hunt, with only one point. Did not think that was possible. I am guessing I am one of the few who put in for that hunt.

Not having much experience with this whole hunt drawing deal. I did no realize once you pay for a given hunt, you go back to 0 points for that particular hunt. So those other hunts, that I have a decent number of points accumulated for, if by some chance I ever get drawn for one of those, I go back to zero on those, after all these years. So there is not much chance you are going to get to hunt the same place twice, unless you put in for a different type of hunt at the same place. My understanding was once you accumulated a lot of points, you will start getting picked for hunts on a regular basis. I have talked to guys who told me they have gotten picked or hunted the same places multiple times. I am wondering now, if it was a case of different hunts or they were part of a group and someone else in the group got picked a year or two after one person in the group got picked.

Comment

Depending on water levels you may want to bring/wear hip boots/waders. Mosquitos will be bad if warm weather so bring thermacell. Beautiful hardwood bottoms

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
        Depending on water levels you may want to bring/wear hip boots/waders. Mosquitos will be bad if warm weather so bring thermacell. Beautiful hardwood bottoms
        I have been assuming the mosquitos should be bad there, but not heard anything on that subject. I talked to someone who works there today, he told me last year the place flooded and there were a bunch of 100 to 200 ac. islands all over the place. He said to call back a few days to a week before I go, to check conditions.

Comment

Have hunted there several times. Can’t remember the compartment we got, but it was on the right side after crossing a creek. we killed 2 deer and a hog out of 4 trips. If there has been rain, it will be sloppy. But, if there has been rain, it will be quiet! I hate tromping through dry leaves to get to a spot.

It’s very thick, you likely won’t have a shot over 75yds. If you find a grove of oak trees with no underbrush, find a spot on the edge and camp out. We killed our deer and hog in acorns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Ought to be a good hunt the 30/30 should be a great choice of rifles

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
              Have hunted there several times. Can’t remember the compartment we got, but it was on the right side after crossing a creek. we killed 2 deer and a hog out of 4 trips. If there has been rain, it will be sloppy. But, if there has been rain, it will be quiet! I hate tromping through dry leaves to get to a spot.

It’s very thick, you likely won’t have a shot over 75yds. If you find a grove of oak trees with no underbrush, find a spot on the edge and camp out. We killed our deer and hog in acorns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              Thanks for the info. I think I read somewhere the deer like the white oak acorns and the hogs like the pin oak acorns. I did not know pin oaks were native to Texas. I have hunted in live oaks and know, where you find the thickest bunches of acorns is where you will find the deer and the pigs. I understand this deal, is going to be quite a bit different from anything I have ever seen in my life.

Comment

I've hunted out there quite a bit, but only went in by boat. if there is a lot of rain and the river is up it would be a good idea to have hip boots at the min. OnX is going to be your best friend out there if you download the offline map since cell service isn't the best. It gets super thick in there if you can find a good transition from thickets to hardwood bottoms you'll be in the money. A tree seat might do you good so you can stay a little more mobile. I tend to use it more than i do my Lonewolf out there.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanishMoss View Post
                  I've hunted out there quite a bit, but only went in by boat. if there is a lot of rain and the river is up it would be a good idea to have hip boots at the min. OnX is going to be your best friend out there if you download the offline map since cell service isn't the best. It gets super thick in there if you can find a good transition from thickets to hardwood bottoms you'll be in the money. A tree seat might do you good so you can stay a little more mobile. I tend to use it more than i do my Lonewolf out there.

Good luck.
                  Thanks for the info. Starting to hope the rain knocks off soon. I don't really wan to deal with the mess, people keep describing.

Comment

Working...
                  X