No announcement yet.

Short ATA for Wife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DL too long. Release too long. She’s leaning back but not much. Poor grip in second pic. Hard to tell in first pic. Anchor point wrong (shooting down hill) And yes a shorter ATA would help.
    Last edited by Fishndude; 04-27-2021, 07:45 PM.

Comment

How much weight is she able to pull? I ask, because I'll be coming your way for the Texas Recurve Championship. I have a Chill she is welcome to try, just to get an idea of how a shorter ATA feels, but it has 60lb limbs on it. I can get it closer to 50, if she can comfortably handle that much.

A funny note about the pictures you posted: my daughter, who is 5, walked up behind me and asked me where I was shooting and why was I wearing pants. Your wife and I look fairly similar from behind, but I'm notorious for wearing shorts. In fact the only time my daughter has ever seen me in anything else was during the February freeze, lol. She thought your wife was me, and still thinks she is, lol.

Comment

It looks as though she is, but mine forgets to use the peep from time to time. Make sure she is using it. I kept moving sight for my wife and nothing was changing. Then stood behind her and that is when i noticed she was not using it.

Comment

Just fitted my daughter in a Mission Hammer....I think. Its a short ATA, for short draw lenghts

Comment

Crossbow, or breast reduction. It's your money. Seriously though, it looks like she's leaning back too much. Might do like suggested above and shorten the draw length some. Shorter ATA would raise the strings some, but also mentioned above, it's not as forgiving.

Comment

Originally posted by CamoQuest View Post
              How much weight is she able to pull? I ask, because I'll be coming your way for the Texas Recurve Championship. I have a Chill she is welcome to try, just to get an idea of how a shorter ATA feels, but it has 60lb limbs on it. I can get it closer to 50, if she can comfortably handle that much.

A funny note about the pictures you posted: my daughter, who is 5, walked up behind me and asked me where I was shooting and why was I wearing pants. Your wife and I look fairly similar from behind, but I'm notorious for wearing shorts. In fact the only time my daughter has ever seen me in anything else was during the February freeze, lol. She thought your wife was me, and still thinks she is, lol.
              She works weekend nights and might not be there. I will not be there this weekend most likely as I work nights too and the weekend night person has requested the 8th off and I will have to work for them. I sure wish we could meet you there. How often are you out at our range as I see you are not local?
              Last edited by Terran28; 05-02-2021, 06:01 AM.

Comment

I forgot to turn on notifications for this thread. My apologies. She is trying to get better and little things are messing her up like her riser hand. She has to concentrate not to grip the riser. I have also taken the bow into Fort Grard and got a QAD HDX Drop Away Rest put on it on Friday. As for the backwall on this bow, it is a 2014 PSE Vision and does not have a backwall, you can overdraw this bow by accident. As for her draw weight, she does not have the back muscles built up and is only probably pulling around 40, maybe 45 at max if that of weight. I do not have a draw weight scale and forgot to have it measured at Fort Grard. I am trying everything to keep her interested and wanting to do this with me. I do not have the funds for lessons for her.

Also, I do believe the draw length might be over her limit as she is getting string slaps and uses a trad wrist guard to protect herself. Her shoulder and wrist is a little weak and she is turning "into" the bow at times.

Comment

Originally posted by Terran28 View Post
                  She works weekend nights and might not be there. I will not be there this weekend most likely as I work nights too and the weekend night person has requested the 8th off and I will have to work for them. I sure wish we could meet you there. How often are you out at our range as I see you are not local?
                  I used to work nights, and I know how that goes. Kinda messes up a normal schedule!

I'm not at Cowtown often, unfortunately. My husband and I came for an ASA qualifier a few years ago, and both of us thoroughly enjoyed the range. It's become one of our favorite places in Texas to shoot 3D. We don't make it up that way near as much as we would like to.

As far as trying things to help her with her form, focus on one or two things at a time. It can be very discouraging to have someone pointing out all your flaws, and then try to remember everything said to fix them. Work with what you have, and keep it fun for her. Encouragement goes a long way, as I'm sure you are aware.

Grip: Have her look at the palm of her left hand. Show her the flat meaty part located between her thumb joint and her lifeline. That's where you want the grip on the riser to lay. She can hold her hand out in front of her like she's saying 'stop', and then angle her hand to a 45 degree direction with fingers pointing more in a 10-11 o'clock position. From there, put the hand against the riser. If the bow has a big, thick grip it will be harder to do this, and she might have to adjust a little bit. Even if the grip is narrow, if she has been gripping the bow in the middle of her hand, putting the grip on the meaty part of the thumb is going to feel pretty weird. Have her tuck her fingers against her palm, between it and the grip, with just her thumb and forefinger supporting the bow. Get her up close to a bale, and have her practice shooting and keeping her arm up after the shot. A wrist sling can help- it is more of a mental thing, to keep her from fearing the bow falling out of her hand. It won't, but until she shoots enough to know this, the sling can help her not grab for the bow. It can be something as simple as a piece of paracord or thin rope- something you have on hand. Tell her not to worry about where the arrow goes, just work on keeping the bow hand relaxed and still, and holding her arm up after the shot. Draw, anchor, push the bow arm toward the target, release, and think "bow arm, bow arm, bow arm" and count as the shot breaks. If she counts to 3 before dropping her arm, it will seem like forever, but over time as her mind gets away from dropping the bow as soon as the release happens, the process will speed up and feel more normal. She doesn't have to hold her arm up for 3 seconds the rest of her shooting career; just until she learns to keep her arm up until the arrow hits the target.

I don't know if any of that will help her, but hopefully it will give her something to focus on without getting overwhelmed.

Comment

Working...
                  X