Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

90D arrives tomorrow - school me on lenses...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

90D arrives tomorrow - school me on lenses...

I know this camera is probably not a lot to most of you but I'm excited. Looking for some input on lenses. Planning lots of wildlife photography at the ranch and some subjects will be out there a ways. Thanks for the help and not too proud to buy used hint, hint.

PS - what happened to the photography contests? Not enough participation?

Do you have any idea what your next camera might be?

It will decide whether to focus only on EF glass or if you can shoot some of the EFS lens.

I have a 28mm 1.8 that sure is handy on an 800D that is also a crop sensor. Outstanding around the house family lens on a crop sensor.

If you are on a budget the 55-250 EFS is considered a great lens for the money. I’ve got one and have been very satisfied with the options.

The 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 are part of the holy trinity of full frame but really not sure with a crop sensor you’d totally appreciate them. And with their weight compared to your 90D body may be extremely lens heavy.

If you want to shoot birds in flight then the 100-400 L series may be one of your better options.

Comment

The 90d should be a ton of fun to use for wildlife.

A couple of lenses come to mind right off the bat for wildlife.

The Sigma 150-600mm is a great lens for wildlife, and the contemporary version can be had fairly inexpensively compared to other lenses in that focal range. Usually can find used ones too.

Another would be the Canon 100-400L lenses. The original 100-400L IS can be found for around $700-800 used. I bought mine from Precision Camera in Austin for $750, and I think I sold it for that exact amount after a year or two of using it, so they hold their value well. The ISII version of the lens is amazing too, but about double the price.

Lastly, the 70-200 2.8 is one of the best lenses I've ever owned. It is a little short for some wildlife uses, but with a crop sensor camera and potentially with a teleconverter, you can definitely get some great shots. The bokeh at f2.8 is absolutely amazing. You just may have to sneak a little closer than you would with one of the lenses above.

Comment

Thanks guys, really appreciate it. Shopping now...

Comment

I might have a couple of used lenses that would be great for wildlife if you're interested. The ones I might part with are:

70-200 f2.8L IS (old version)
          300mm F4L IS this is a great wildlife lens. I've gotten some of my favorite images with it.
          Sigma 150-600mm I really like this lens but if I want to make a jump to the Canon RF 100-500mm i will likely need to sell this one.

PM me or reply here and we can discuss. Research all of those and let me know your thoughts.

Comment

Working...
          X