Time for adult arrows....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
    Good looking critter Ikeman. Good on you for stepping up the arrow foc.

You got quite the promo LDP with that buck. Ive gotta go back and read to see where your arrow setup ended. After the thread got snarky on page 1 I just skipped to your super happy ending. Hooray!

I ended up at 710 grains total with 25.4% foc. Basically it is the 30-30 of the archery world.

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
    I am looking for pig # 11 since season started, opening morning started with a quartering to 140# sow, blew through the shoulder the head exited the guts, but no pass through- 18" of penetration.
    The 8 other pigs were passthroughs and one was hard quartering away shot that stopped in the opposite leg bone.
    I hit my buck a bit high in the shoulder at a steep angle, the head stopped on the opposite leg bone.

My son is shooting almost the same arrow and got pass throughs on
    A big buck 180#ish and a coyote.

My son's bow is a 45# BowTech carbon overdrive 27" draw, I am shooting a 55# xpedition xplorer 28.5" draw.

Arrows 400 spine 40 grain top hats and 85 grain rage ss 1.5" cut. Total weight 383
    A well tuned arrow with decent foc is all you need, keep some speed.
    My longest shot on a deer in the last 5 years of hunting public land has been 22 yards. Daylight movement for mature bucks is in good thick cover, which doesn’t leave room for long shots. If I was shooting 45-50 yards, I’d drop 150-200 grains off the setup.

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
    Congrats, goes to show, shot placement is the most important thing. With out it, it don’t mater what you hit um with.

Shot placement at trigger release doesn’t always mean the same thing at impact... deer move. I like having a plan B, C, and D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Arrows 400 spine 40 grain top hats and 85 grain rage ss 1.5" cut. Total weight 383
      My longest shot on a deer in the last 5 years of hunting public land has been 22 yards. Daylight movement for mature bucks is in good thick cover, which doesn’t leave room for long shots.

If I was shooting 45-50 yards, I’d drop 150-200 grains off the setup.

What ? His. Arrow weight now is 383 approx. if he drops 200 gr he would be shooting 183gr. arrows, not sure if it’s even possible to go that light. 383 must be plan A, your 183 gr plan b, what do you suggest for plan c and d ?
      Last edited by critter69; 11-13-2020, 03:39 PM.

Comment

My longest shot on a deer in the last 5 years of hunting public land has been 22 yards. Daylight movement for mature bucks is in good thick cover, which doesn’t leave room for long shots.

What ? His. Arrow weight now is 383 approx. if he drops 200 gr he would be shooting 183gr. arrows, not sure if it’s even possible to go that light. 383 must be plan A, your 183 gr plan b, what do you suggest for plan c and d ?
        183 grain arrow = dry fire

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
          183 grain arrow = dry fire

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I just noticed these responses after referring back to this thread to get my grain weight specs.
          The “I’d drop 200 grains” was in response to my personal arrow setup, not the guy who I was quoting. If I were to want to shoot out to 50 yards, I would want to drop 200 grains.... Currently I’m at 710 grains, so that would equal 510ish grains for a longer range setup.
          I’m fairly certain that I could pretty easily adjust to2 different arrow weight setups with enough practice and an extra pin or two. Although, with another 6 months of shooting I have a lot more confidence in my heavy setup even at longer range. It may have more drop than a faster arrow, but it is much more consistent shooting than any setup I’ve used before.

Comment

Love watching Troy's videos. He has so much relevant information for all bowhunters, not just those chasing extreme FOC.

Comment

I have been shooting right at 640 total arrow weight with 20% FOC for a few years. Completely revolutionary and exactly what the doctor ordered, for my bowhunting situations. Yes, shot placement matters but second guessing on shoulders is eliminated on whitetail/antelope and most critters I have run that arrow thru. The 200 grain single bevel broadhead is worth the investment..........bullet proof and fly true on a properly tuned bow. I let the bowshop clean-up and tune my bow every year as I dont like "little surprises" hunting on the other side of the world...........or 4 hours away at the lease.

Comment

Thanks to muddyfuzzy, I have an awesome setup. I am shooting Black Eagle Spartans at 29" and 660 gr with and FOC of ~17%. These arrows are flat out killers. Complete pass throughs on everything I have shot with them. I need to run them through a chrono but I am sure I am pushing these somewhere in the vicinity of 250-275 FPS through my D350 set at 72# and 30". I have tried fast arrows and had the scapula stop me a couple of times, never finding the deer. My fault but, if I can increase the odds in my favor by going heavy, I am most definitely doing it!

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                  what can this be? it must be fake. the deer will be gone before that slow arrow gets to them. hahaha

whats a good icon for sarcasm
                  purple font.

Normal arrows at normal speeds will kill.

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
                    purple font.

Normal arrows at normal speeds will kill.
                    Playing devils advocate here....
                    Yes normal kills. But what about when you mess up on a shot and hit the leg bone or knuckle, what if you have a situation like me where the deer is quartering away and between her ducking and rolling and you shoot left some and hit her in the back leg

For the record I’m not crazy heavy, 520ish and it’s going real fast with 80 lb limbs (was going 280 with 70 lb limbs). But with my 200 gr points I’m 620ish with a lot of weight upfront for the big pigs

Comment

You guys remind me of the arguments I used to see at the gun shop I worked at for 17 plus years.

Guy walks in and says he needs a good deer rifle. You point him to the wall that has a couple Savage 110 in 30.06. Oh no, he can't hunt with a 30.06 let alone a Savage. He needs something that he can reach out with, like a 243. He needs it to be light and short, feather weight, pencil barrel and 18 inches.
                      Sheesh

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by boonez40 View Post
                        You guys remind me of the arguments I used to see at the gun shop I worked at for 17 plus years.

Guy walks in and says he needs a good deer rifle. You point him to the wall that has a couple Savage 110 in 30.06. Oh no, he can't hunt with a 30.06 let alone a Savage. He needs something that he can reach out with, like a 243. He needs it to be light and short, feather weight, pencil barrel and 18 inches.
                        Sheesh

Very informative, thanks

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Adult arrows deserve adult broadheads, 750 gr. Over 50% foc.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                            Very informative, thanks

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                            You are welcome,

Comment

[QUOTE=kd350;15549062]Playing devils advocate here....
                              Yes normal kills. But what about when you mess up on a shot and hit the leg bone or knuckle, what if you have a situation like me where the deer is quartering away and between her ducking and rolling and you shoot left some and hit her in the back leg

For the record I’m not crazy heavy, 520ish and it’s going real fast with 80 lb limbs (was going 280 with 70 lb limbs). But with my 200 gr points I’m 620ish with a lot of weight upfront for the big pigs[/QUObunch of what ifs in this world. can't cover them all.

If I were shooting at that quartering away ducking and rolling deer, it'd be a clean miss. My little ole 180 fps recurve would be completely eluded.

I don't even know what my POC arrows weigh.

Comment

More data for the conversation…

Comment

Working...
                                X