Right arrow for bow? Or is it me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right arrow for bow? Or is it me?

I purchased a Bowtech Reign in 2018. It’s the 7” brace height and 70lbs.

The shop that I purchased the bow from set me up with GoldTip Hunter XT 340s arrows. My arrows were cut at 28.5” and I shoot 100 grain slick tricks with a QAD drop away rest.

However, I only feel confident in 2 of the 6 arrows in my quiver because those arrows fly straight every time. The other arrows hit their mark but seem to dance and move in flight and don’t hit the target straight on when I go to pull them out.

Do I need a stiffer arrow? Heavier/lighter arrow? Heavier broadhead?

Or am I doing something wrong?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Assuming you have a standard weighted insert, your spine should be fine. My initial thoughts are inconsistent form, or an untuned bow, or both. I would say most likely not tuned well enough. Paper tuning isn’t good enough.

Comment

get on youtube and search RANCH FAIRY. He is not for everyone but he has tons of information. Could watch hours of his videos and still learn. Information for the practical hunter looking to learn

Comment

Arrow setup seems fine. It’s identical to mine. I’d suspect some fletching contact possibly.

Comment

Originally posted by SRK14 View Post
          Arrow setup seems fine. It’s identical to mine. I’d suspect some fletching contact possibly.

Okay, I’ve checked for it hitting the cable with some of my wife’s lipstick and it didnt seem to come in contact with the cable. I do wonder if my drop away rest isn’t setup right or is just not fast enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
            Assuming you have a standard weighted insert, your spine should be fine. My initial thoughts are inconsistent form, or an untuned bow, or both. I would say most likely not tuned well enough. Paper tuning isn’t good enough.

Plan to shoot a lot more this year so hopefully I can rule out any form issues. As for tuning I plan to go to a different shop and make sure it tuned right.

Comment

Originally posted by WillowCity2506 View Post
              get on youtube and search RANCH FAIRY. He is not for everyone but he has tons of information. Could watch hours of his videos and still learn. Information for the practical hunter looking to learn

Thanks I will check him out!

Comment

Originally posted by Court2005 View Post
                Plan to shoot a lot more this year so hopefully I can rule out any form issues. As for tuning I plan to go to a different shop and make sure it tuned right.

Make sure you shoot it. And if they start moving the rest around to “tune” it find a different shop.

Comment

A qad rest has two white lines on the thumb wheel that should be lined up at full draw. If you are shooting broadheads you may have a few not spinning true on the shaft. Anything and everything is exaggerated while shooting broadheads. Especially your form and your bow and arrows being out of tune. One thing I do with all of my arrows is fletch them with the same color vanes all the way around. No odd color. Sometimes if I shoot with an odd color vane it will play tricks on my eyes on how the arrow is flying.

Comment

What fletching? And offset/helical?

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                      What fletching? And offset/helical?

Comment

Originally posted by SRK14 View Post
                        A qad rest has two white lines on the thumb wheel that should be lined up at full draw. If you are shooting broadheads you may have a few not spinning true on the shaft. Anything and everything is exaggerated while shooting broadheads. Especially your form and your bow and arrows being out of tune. One thing I do with all of my arrows is fletch them with the same color vanes all the way around. No odd color. Sometimes if I shoot with an odd color vane it will play tricks on my eyes on how the arrow is flying.

Okay, I have great eye site so I had considered that as well but wasn’t sure.

Comment

Your form or tune is off, paper tune isn’t enough.

Look into nock tuning each arrow. This will make sure each spine is aligned the same and will bring those other 4 arrows in tighter. I’ve had to do this before and have since started just doing each arrow individually before I fletch them up.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                            Your form or tune is off, paper tune isn’t enough.

Look into nock tuning each arrow. This will make sure each spine is aligned the same and will bring those other 4 arrows in tighter. I’ve had to do this before and have since started just doing each arrow individually before I fletch them up.

Thanks, Any good resources for nock tuning?

Comment

Originally posted by Court2005 View Post
                              Thanks, Any good resources for nock tuning?

YouTube Ranch Fairy. Some people don’t like him but his channel is a wealth of knowledge on tuning your whole set up especially arrows.

Comment

Working...
                              X