No announcement yet.

Time for adult arrows....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im shooting 29" gt hunter xt 340, gt 100g brass insert, 100g gt screw ins fact system, and iron wills 125 wides. 630 grain total foc 22%
    i had paper tuned at gulf coast archery before this high foc build and found that everything was way off after the build. simply moving the qad rest left to fix the right paper tear got me pin holes at 15 yards. fletch arrows got me bullseyes. im good with that at 30 yards. elite ritual 33, 60 lbs

Comment

My ultimate goal is to be confident to take the kill zone shot, regardless of animal angle."

And bam, exactly what I said this heavy arrow craze is promoting. Trying to convince people a heavy arrow will make a bad shot a good shot. It don’t matter what arrow, how much that arrow weighs, how much foc it has,, how heavy of weight you are drawing, what broadhead you use. A BAD SHOT IS A BAD SHOT, AND SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN. We are taking the life of an animal, and they are not “ test media”. We need to make it humane, and as quick a death as we possibly can. This heavy arrow #$& is giving so many people very bad ideas, way worse then then the light arrow, fast crowd. At least good shot placement is still recommended, and no amount of arrow weight is going to make a bad shot a good shot.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
        My ultimate goal is to be confident to take the kill zone shot, regardless of animal angle."

And bam, exactly what I said this heavy arrow craze is promoting. Trying to convince people a heavy arrow will make a bad shot a good shot. It don’t matter what arrow, how much that arrow weighs, how much foc it has,, how heavy of weight you are drawing, what broadhead you use. A BAD SHOT IS A BAD SHOT, AND SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN. We are taking the life of an animal, and they are not “ test media”. We need to make it humane, and as quick a death as we possibly can. This heavy arrow #$& is giving so many people very bad ideas, way worse then then the light arrow, fast crowd. At least good shot placement is still recommended, and no amount of arrow weight is going to make a bad shot a good shot.

I don’t think anyone is advocating taking a bad shot, I don’t recall reading that in any of the previous posts so let’s be clear those are YOUR words and nobody else’s. Now that We have clarified that please allow me to respond.

Would I advise somebody to take a quartering-to shot with with a 420 grain arrow with average FOC shooting a marginal or mechanical broadhead.....absolutely not. If somebody is running 550+ plus grains with high/EFOC shooting the proper broadhead then it’s definitely a possibility. There are no “bad shots” before the arrow leaves the bow, only bad decisions. Knowing your equipment, what’s it’s capable of, the uniqueness of each scenario and most importantly YOUR skill level are all an factors in determining wether or not to shoot. If you can check all those boxes then you can open up some opportunities. A “bad shot” is exactly that a bad shot where the actual POI is not the intended POI. That could be from an animal moving, a deflection off a twig, tuning issue or just user error. However, if i shoot a WT at 25 yds with a 625 grain arrow with 24% EFOC with a robust two blade single bevel head breaking the front scapula on the way to vitals netting in a 30 yd recovery that is anything but a bad shot. Nobody is promoting anything, you are either an advocate or you aren’t and everybody is certainly entitled to their 1st A right. Personally I tend to favor the physics, the math and the data rather than cheap talk but that’s just me. You don’t like it that’s fine but throwing shade on others that don’t fit your personal narrative on arrow philosophy sounds a lot like Leftist propaganda to me.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
          I don’t think anyone is advocating taking a bad shot, I don’t recall reading that in any of the previous posts so let’s be clear those are YOUR words and nobody else’s. Now that We have clarified that please allow me to respond.

Would I advise somebody to take a quartering-to shot with with a 420 grain arrow with average FOC shooting a marginal or mechanical broadhead.....absolutely not. If somebody is running 550+ plus grains with high/EFOC shooting the proper broadhead then it’s definitely a possibility. There are no “bad shots” before the arrow leaves the bow, only bad decisions. Knowing your equipment, what’s it’s capable of, the uniqueness of each scenario and most importantly YOUR skill level are all an factors in determining wether or not to shoot. If you can check all those boxes then you can open up some opportunities. A “bad shot” is exactly that a bad shot where the actual POI is not the intended POI. That could be from an animal moving, a deflection off a twig, tuning issue or just user error. However, if i shoot a WT at 25 yds with a 625 grain arrow with 24% EFOC with a robust two blade single bevel head breaking the front scapula on the way to vitals netting in a 30 yd recovery that is anything but a bad shot. Nobody is promoting anything, you are either an advocate or you aren’t and everybody is certainly entitled to their 1st A right. Personally I tend to favor the physics, the math and the data rather than cheap talk but that’s just me. You don’t like it that’s fine but throwing shade on others that don’t fit your personal narrative on arrow philosophy sounds a lot like Leftist propaganda to me.....

No this was a quote from a previous post, I just “ copied” that part of it and pasted here. Pretty obvious some are using the heavy arrow for the wrong purpose. I don’t care what side your on ! And no a bad shot can also be a perfect shot. Some one thinks they “know” they have a heavy enough arrow, to shoot through that heavy bone. And hits exactly where they intended and the arrow fails, or the arrow and broad head fail. They made a perfect shot, hit right where they wanted, and in no way should they have taken the shot. I don’t care what any body shoots, heavy light, or any where in between. You still should wait for a good clean ethical shot. I don’t follow the agenda, I shoot a heavy arrow, so I can shoot through bone that a “ lesser” arrow won’t get through. I’ve seen javelina stop 1000 gr. with iron wills on more then a few occasions, from a guy and his buddies with the “ adult arrow” attitude thinking it will make up for their poor decision attitude. ( 80 lb. hoyt, 30” draw, 23% foc and those javelina stopped that arrow several times) They have shot and lost more animals then any body in camp, because they think they can shoot any thing from any angle and it will die. He is on the Africa plan now, he hits it he pays for it. His buddies will be on the same plan this year also, if they come back shooting like they have been. All they talk about is this fairy guy, so we call them all tinker bells. Between them guys last year I think they failed to recover 8 or 9 animals on this one hunt. And they bragged about shooting a few deer and an elk on a hunt they were on also, and they were poor angles and never found them either, but hey they still get to hunt, as they say. Yea, I’ve seen it, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. You can talk about physics and it will do this and that, but in real life ( death) that don’t always pan out. In fact many times over I’ve seen it not work, it gives many a false sense in their equipment. Leftist rightest call me what you want, it’s not the solution many are thinking it is.
          Last edited by critter69; 10-31-2020, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pelochas View Post
            im shooting 29" gt hunter xt 340, gt 100g brass insert, 100g gt screw ins fact system, and iron wills 125 wides. 630 grain total foc 22%
            i had paper tuned at gulf coast archery before this high foc build and found that everything was way off after the build. simply moving the qad rest left to fix the right paper tear got me pin holes at 15 yards. fletch arrows got me bullseyes. im good with that at 30 yards. elite ritual 33, 60 lbs

I’d say you’re way underspined unless you’re shooting 55lbs or so. But as long as you’re happy with it...

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
              No this was a quote from a previous post, I just “ copied” that part of it and pasted here. Pretty obvious some are using the heavy arrow for the wrong purpose. I don’t care what side your on ! And no a bad shot can also be a perfect shot. Some one thinks they “know” they have a heavy enough arrow, to shoot through that heavy bone. And hits exactly where they intended and the arrow fails, or the arrow and broad head fail. They made a perfect shot, hit right where they wanted, and in no way should they have taken the shot. I don’t care what any body shoots, heavy light, or any where in between. You still should wait for a good clean ethical shot. I don’t follow the agenda, I shoot a heavy arrow, so I can shoot through bone that a “ lesser” arrow won’t get through. I’ve seen javelina stop 1000 gr. with iron wills on more then a few occasions, from a guy and his buddies with the “ adult arrow” attitude thinking it will make up for their poor decision attitude. ( 80 lb. hoyt, 30” draw, 23% foc and those javelina stopped that arrow several times) They have shot and lost more animals then any body in camp, because they think they can shoot any thing from any angle and it will die. He is on the Africa plan now, he hits it he pays for it. His buddies will be on the same plan this year also, if they come back shooting like they have been. All they talk about is this fairy guy, so we call them all tinker bells. Between them guys last year I think they failed to recover 8 or 9 animals on this one hunt. And they bragged about shooting a few deer and an elk on a hunt they were on also, and they were poor angles and never found them either, but hey they still get to hunt, as they say. Yea, I’ve seen it, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. You can talk about physics and it will do this and that, but in real life ( death) that don’t always pan out. In fact many times over I’ve seen it not work, it gives many a false sense in their equipment. Leftist rightest call me what you want, it’s not the solution many are thinking it is.

This is complete nonsense, i’m just going to leave it there.

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
                I’d say you’re way underspined unless you’re shooting 55lbs or so. But as long as you’re happy with it...

i agree and was looking for 300's but like everything else, all sold out and tuff to find

Comment

My arrow setup did what it was setup for this morning. Headed to the truck for a frame pack and game bags, and I’ll try to update this when I get done breaking him down and on ice.

Shot entered between the shoulder and the spine (2 yard shot from a tree) exited opposite side lower sternum and embedded in opposite leg bone.

Comment

Let’s see if I have the signal for this.

After a week of public land kicking my butt in high temps with bright moons, I decided to take the first buck I could. Had this guy come trotting through at 9:30 this morning. As I mentioned above, the shot was dang near straight down.

First off, I would have never had the confidence with my last setup to take a kill zone shot at this angle. Even taking this shot means my heavy arrow setup did its job in increasing my confidence. The utter destruction it wreaked on this deer was impressive.

It entered at the tip of the backstrap between the shoulder and the spine, breaking the top of the shoulder blade. From there, it came out the opposite side rib cage where it meets the sternum, then broke the leg bone and imbedded in the leg on the way out. If it hadn’t hit the leg, it would have been imbedded in the dirt. As it was, he broke the arrow running and I found it about 10 yards from the shot. Deer went down in 45 yards, flipping head over heels. Arrow caught top of left lung, cut the arteries off the top of the heart, and destroyed most of the right lung. I am beyond impressed with its performance.

Last shot is point of impact in reference to me standing on the top of my climbing stick. I had to lean dang near over top of him because the bottom cam of my bow was rubbing the tree.

Comment

Nice one
                      Good job

Comment

Our adult arrows

I am looking for pig # 11 since season started, opening morning started with a quartering to 140# sow, blew through the shoulder the head exited the guts, but no pass through- 18" of penetration.
                        The 8 other pigs were passthroughs and one was hard quartering away shot that stopped in the opposite leg bone.
                        I hit my buck a bit high in the shoulder at a steep angle, the head stopped on the opposite leg bone.

My son is shooting almost the same arrow and got pass throughs on
                        A big buck 180#ish and a coyote.

My son's bow is a 45# BowTech carbon overdrive 27" draw, I am shooting a 55# xpedition xplorer 28.5" draw.

Arrows 400 spine 40 grain top hats and 85 grain rage ss 1.5" cut. Total weight 383
                        A well tuned arrow with decent foc is all you need, keep some speed.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by cbd10pt; 11-08-2020, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
                          I am looking for pig # 11 since season started, opening morning started with a quartering to 140# sow, blew through the shoulder the head exited the guts, but no pass through- 18" of penetration.
                          The 9 other pigs were passthroughs and one was hard quartering away shot that stopped in the opposite leg bone.
                          I hit my buck a bit high in the shoulder at a steep angle, the head stopped on the opposite leg bone.

My son is shooting almost the same arrow and got pass throughs on
                          A big buck 180#ish and a coyote.

My son's bow is a 45# BowTech carbon overdrive 27" draw, I am shooting a 55# xpedition xplorer 28.5" draw.

Arrows 400 spine 40 grain top hats and 85 grain rage ss 1.5" cut. Total weight 383
                          A well tuned arrow with decent foc is all you need, keep some speed.
                          Congrats, goes to show, shot placement is the most important thing. With out it, it don’t mater what you hit um with.

Comment

Good looking critter Ikeman. Good on you for stepping up the arrow foc.

You got quite the promo LDP with that buck. Ive gotta go back and read to see where your arrow setup ended. After the thread got snarky on page 1 I just skipped to your super happy ending. Hooray!

Comment

I'd say you're on the right track. I like "heavier" arrows. My set up im shooting right at 550 grains.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                                Let’s see if I have the signal for this.

After a week of public land kicking my butt in high temps with bright moons, I decided to take the first buck I could. Had this guy come trotting through at 9:30 this morning. As I mentioned above, the shot was dang near straight down.

First off, I would have never had the confidence with my last setup to take a kill zone shot at this angle. Even taking this shot means my heavy arrow setup did its job in increasing my confidence. The utter destruction it wreaked on this deer was impressive.

It entered at the tip of the backstrap between the shoulder and the spine, breaking the top of the shoulder blade. From there, it came out the opposite side rib cage where it meets the sternum, then broke the leg bone and imbedded in the leg on the way out. If it hadn’t hit the leg, it would have been imbedded in the dirt. As it was, he broke the arrow running and I found it about 10 yards from the shot. Deer went down in 45 yards, flipping head over heels. Arrow caught top of left lung, cut the arteries off the top of the heart, and destroyed most of the right lung. I am beyond impressed with its performance.

Last shot is point of impact in reference to me standing on the top of my climbing stick. I had to lean dang near over top of him because the bottom cam of my bow was rubbing the tree.

Congrats on the kill!

Comment

Working...
                                X