No announcement yet.

Big Bend Astrophotography?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check out the Rokinon 24mm 1.4 or the Rokinon 14mm 2.8. It's $500 & $300 respectively, on Amazon, M focus but you're not using auto when shooting astro anyway. I'm really really tempted to pick one up to add to my kit.

Comment

These pictures tell a story, just look at how beautiful the sky is at night.

Comment

Originally posted by chongo View Post
        Check out the Rokinon 24mm 1.4 or the Rokinon 14mm 2.8. It's $500 & $300 respectively, on Amazon, M focus but you're not using auto when shooting astro anyway. I'm really really tempted to pick one up to add to my kit.
        That 14mm is really intriguing at that price point. May see if I can track down a used one on the cheap. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

I’ve got a place out in the Solitario, north of terlingua. The stars at night are like nothing you’ve ever seen. It’s unbelievable how vast the night sky is. At night, we sit around a low burning fire and just watch. It’s pretty dang cool!

Comment

Originally posted by ATX Tyler View Post
            That 14mm is really intriguing at that price point. May see if I can track down a used one on the cheap. Thanks for the tip!
            My thoughts as well, for the price its worth a shot. I found one here in Dallas that I'm waiting on a response from the seller. I'll let you know my thoughts if I am able to pick it up in the next few days.

I took this photo south of Sonora last year with an 80D and Tokina 11-20 f/2.8

Sonora Tx Milky Way by Chris Jeans, on Flickr

I'm really anxious to give it another go since moving to FF.
            Last edited by chongo; 02-08-2019, 08:51 AM.

Comment

These are some great photos y'all! I haven't had a chance to try out astrophotography yet, but I'm hoping to experiment at GRXH 2019! [emoji1316]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                You mean art work. Because these "photos" are so doctored that Ansel Adams is rolling over in his grave.
                This is funny because Ansel Adams doctored to everliving crap out of his work in the dark room.

Astrophotography is more about working exposure time than post processing so most of these are likely LESS doctored than Adam's works. lol

Comment

Originally posted by TexasLibra View Post
                  These are some great photos y'all! I haven't had a chance to try out astrophotography yet, but I'm hoping to experiment at GRXH 2019! [emoji1316]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
                  Should be able to get some good views of the sky behind the camp site.

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
                    We go November-March. We tent camp. There is one campground with RV hookups in the park. There is also the Stillwell Store near the North end of the park. They have RV sites. Terlingua also has a few RV parks and it is only a few miles to the West gate. Everything is far away out there so potentially you could have a 1.5 hour drive every morning to your destination

Thanks that’s about the time frame I figured.

I’m out on the tent camping. I’ve spent more than my fair time in a tent when I was younger so I enjoy comfort these days.

I don’t mind driving, heck I drive that far to work every day. Terlingua would be pretty cool. We’ve never visited that part of the state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Big Bend Astrophotography?

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                      How long is your 5th wheel Mike? You can also leave it at home and stay at Terilinqa Ranch outside the park. There is too much exploring to do to have to haul a large camper and maintain it IMO. Unless you are staying and extended time.

My favorite camping is a nice cot in the open air. I have been in the heat of July and the cold of winter.

July is fine if you camp at the right elevation, then when day starts jump in the truck with the ac and drive all day taking in all the scenes. Really cant be beat.
                      It’s 34’. I certainly wouldn’t be dragging the camper around. I’d park in a site and drive the truck where we wanted to go. We’d probably make it at least a week long trip when we went.

I can’t stand hot weather so I’d definitely go in the milder parts of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                      Last edited by Mike D; 02-08-2019, 12:16 PM.

Comment

You guys mind sharing a few locations or spots that we would definitely need to check out for some photos!? We are going for 2 days next month

Comment

Originally posted by TGoody View Post
                          You guys mind sharing a few locations or spots that we would definitely need to check out for some photos!? We are going for 2 days next month
                          There’s photo ops everywhere to be honest! Pictures I most often see are from Chisos Basin (inside the park) the “Window View” is there and you can get some great sunset shots. If you get up early before sunrise and start a hike do the lost mine trial. It’s 2.4 miles to the peak but after about a mile there are some great views. The morning light shines down into the canyons and will provide great shots. The ghost town of Terlingua is awesome as well. There’s a OLD cemetery that lots of people go and take pictures of. As far as Astro shots go anywhere is a good location. If you are in the park it is dark as can be. Terlingua is also extremely dark even though it is in the town. They observe that it’s a great spot for night sky viewing and most residents have minimal lighting around their houses.

Comment

The South Rim is a good view if the haze is down. You can see satellites go over at night from anywhere in the Southwest. Honestly, I think Fort Davis has better viewing, it's further away from Mexico.

You can park your trailer at the river campground.

The window is uphill all the way back. I don't recommend it for young'uns but the view is great.

We take the 8th and 9th grade down there. Next trip is first of April. My favorite time is September.

One time coming back from the South Rim we passed a lone hiker going up. I said to our party "Hey, that's John". I called back and said "hey John!" It was John Denver.

If you ever get the hankering for a serious trip, check out the big loop. Start at the basin, take the pinacles trail to boot spring trail. Take that to the juniper trail. Take juniper to the dodsen trail. Camp here and pick up your cached water. The next ten miles are dry. Take dodsen to homer Wilson ranch, night 2 here and pick up your second water cache. Take the blue creek trail back up into the basin and then the Laguna meadow trail back to the truck. About 30 miles. The Dodsen trail is the tricky one. If you get lost you may get a little thirsty.

Have fun!

Comment

Working...
                            X