No announcement yet.

ERCOT- what’s the problem now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s almost like the Californians are bringing the rolling black ours with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
      HVT or High Voltage Transmission lines require maintenance/rebuild/cut ins from new substations, etc. In order to perform this work, circuits must be de-energized, or, a planned outage. ERCOT does not allow planned outages from June through September due to the Texas heat and the high demand for electricity. Therefore, to perform all the work that is needed on the thousands of miles of transmission lines across the state and/or plants, it has to be done in a certain time frame. Typically the fall through spring. When you experience warmer than normal temperatures during these planned outages, it can cause a strain on the grid. Come summer time, there will be no outages and the grid will be at full capacity. It’s really that simple.
      So that leaves us with "high demand" in summer and winter so expect blackouts and then we have to maintain the rest of the year so expect blackouts.

Dang third world countries....ooops.

Comment

Third world, we have discussed this before during the ice event.

I’ve already installed 5k btu window AC’s in a couple of rooms as prep. I’ll run them off generator or lithium/solar

Comment

Can we have power on Tuesday and Thursday!

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
            So that leaves us with "high demand" in summer and winter so expect blackouts and then we have to maintain the rest of the year so expect blackouts.

Dang third world countries....ooops.
            I have no idea what you just said.

Comment

Any of y'all thinking this is a 3rd world country need to go back and revisit a real 3rd world country because you have definitely forgot.

Comment

On Tuesday we eat birds.

Comment

HVT or High Voltage Transmission lines require maintenance/rebuild/cut ins from new substations, etc. In order to perform this work, circuits must be de-energized, or, a planned outage. ERCOT does not allow planned outages from June through September due to the Texas heat and the high demand for electricity. Therefore, to perform all the work that is needed on the thousands of miles of transmission lines across the state and/or plants, it has to be done in a certain time frame. Typically the fall through spring. When you experience warmer than normal temperatures during these planned outages, it can cause a strain on the grid. Come summer time, there will be no outages and the grid will be at full capacity. It’s really that simple.
                  I understand where you are coming from, but temps aren't above normal in most of the state

Comment

Come summer time, there will be no outages and the grid will be at full capacity. It’s really that simple.
                    You appear to have a good grasp on the situation,and i hope you are correct. But gonna hold ya to the above comment

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                      You appear to have a good grasp on the situation,and i hope you are correct. But gonna hold ya to the above comment

If we have an unplanned outage in the summer, I’ll buy you a 12pk of your favorite [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have no idea what you just said.

it just means there is an excuse for the full year now.

summer it's high demand for A/C and in the winter it's high demand for heating and in the off seasons there needs to be maintenance so the demand will be more than the supply because lines are down.

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
                          it just means there is an excuse for the full year now.

summer it's high demand for A/C and in the winter it's high demand for heating and in the off seasons there needs to be maintenance so the demand will be more than the supply because lines are down.

It’s been that way for a long time. And the demand isn’t as high in the winter because a lot of people have gas or propane to heat with during the winter so the electricity consumption isn’t as high, as a whole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I miss the days when every town had their own local power plant - and they were actual electricity generation plants, not windmills or solar farms.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                              I miss the days when every town had their own local power plant - and they were actual electricity generation plants, not windmills or solar farms.
                              I've said for a while that decentralization would help alot of small towns and even in the long run big city's. Instead of relying on hubs that do specialization, if small parts of industry were local, even just to supplement, itd really help economies and ease things. Like every town having some farms, power plants, etc. But modern trade is specialization and moving goods.

Comment

There was a lot of generation offline yesterday. Its maintenance time and even worse this year after the winter storm. All is fine

Comment

Working...
                                X