Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you take a family heirloom (rifle) hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the same rifle from my great grandfather I have used it but but don’t use it much but I don’t shoot deer with a rifle very often

Comment

All day long. What kind of history do you want to pass on to your son? “Here son. This is yours now. Keep it in the gun safe and don’t ever scratch it”. So yes, use and take care of it. No matter how hard you try sooner or later your gonna scratch it. May as well be sooner.
      Last edited by Hogmauler; 04-12-2021, 04:19 AM.

Comment

What a cool history it would be to have a mint rifle no one ever used or killed anything with said no one ever.

Somebody has to make that history.

Comment

I have my Dad's old Browning BAR in 270. It's a gorgeous gun that he took really good care of, and it's got some rounds through it but you'd never know it just looking at it. I hunt with it a few times every year and have killed a few deer with it. I think it'd be cool for you to take it....just keep it in a case and be careful with it. I was almost scared to hunt with this one when I first inherited it, but find myself using it more and more as the years go by. It's hard to explain, but definitely a connection to him when I carry it. I enjoy hunting with it now.

Comment

I have my grandpa's 410 he squirrel hunted with. He passed away when I was 8. I take it to the woods occasionally and have a sit with my grandpa. I'm not sure I'd take it on horseback into the mountains but I'd dern sure take it hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
              You hit the nail on the head!
              x2

Comment

I would hunt with it in the right situation without a doubt. A stand or vehicle type hunt were I carried it in a soft case to and from..
                I would not take it on an Elk hunt, or any other hunt, where its stands a decent chance of getting banged or scratched.. Damaging it would make me sick..
                Just my 2 cents...

The deep, high shine, bluing on those old Finnbears is second to none... Best I've ever seen..
                Last edited by PondPopper; 04-12-2021, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Take it to the woods! You can always get it restored down the road if needed.

Comment

I wouldn’t hunt with it..

Comment

Not sure why everyone thinks something will happen to it hunting in the mountains, haven't had any issues in years.
                      Take it and hunt with it, who will get it after you ? Do you think it will have great sentimental value to them ?
                      As a hunter I want my rifles to hunt, not sit in a safe.

Memories made with that rifle will last you a lifetime.

Comment

Personally I like to think about the stories a rifle carries by the character of said rifle. Especially when I know someone in the family had it in previous generations. Using it doesn’t usually mean trashing it. I’d use it imho if only adds to the sentimental value.

Comment

I take mine along a couple of times a year. Just adds to the story for me.

Comment

hunt it! think of all the memories you can make with that rifle and then pass those down for someone else to pick it up and add to the list.

Comment

Absolutely, no point in it collecting dust in the closet. I try to take my grandfather's gun out at least once a year. It was his first hunting rifle and is probably over 60 years old but still shoots great and I love hunting with it!
                              Attached Files

Comment

To the OP--

You asked for thoughts on your situation with the rifle and have received numerous responses. Bottom line is it is YOUR decision to make. Whatever puts a smile on YOUR face should be the correct answer.

Comment

Working...
                                X