Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you take a family heirloom (rifle) hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life just doesn't hand you things. You have to get out there and make things happen(!!!@#$). That's the exciting part.

Comment

I have several heirloom guns I take hunting from time to time,none of them mint but I enjoy hunting with them and reminisce a bit on my grandparents.I think they would want me to put them to good use and keep the traditions alive and well.PowPow. PowPow

Comment

Use it. I use my great grandpas savage 99 300 savage/.410.

Comment

Use it for sure!

Comment

My opinion (since you asked) is that the story started with him and he honored you to continue the story. Go shoot it and add to it! If it never leaves the family, it’ll be exponential!

Comment

You should use it. I use most of my heirloom guns every year, not because I need to but rather because it reminds me of my dad and hunting with family. I've bought far lighter, more accurate rifles that I should take but the memories each gun carries when I take it to the field are priceless.

Comment

Take it on the hunt, when you look at it, you will think of your grandfather and the good times. If you get a scratch, every time you see it, it will remind you of its history. He would have wanted you to use it.

Comment

Not me. Grandpa’s rifle gets a display. I got others.

Comment

swap out the stock for the hunt

Comment

Grandpa would be glad if you took it. It’s like taking him along with you.

Comment

I take my grandpa’s old sako forester in 243 hunting every year. All my kids have taken there first deer with it along with my wife. When he gave me the rifle a yr before he passed he told me to enjoy the rifle. It’s was to be used not just sit in a closet or safe. He gave me his load recipe and it’s taken a deer every year since. Every time I hold that rifle I can’t help but think of our time together talking guns, reloading or hunting together. Use it! If not on the elk hunt use it where you can be more careful if scratches are what will bother ya. I think he would be looking down with a big ol grin knowing you’re enjoying that rifle making memories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I couldn’t imagine why he would want that to be put in a safe and passed on without a shot fired! I say take it and enjoy the hunt! Share the story with your kids and pass it along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It is in mint condition from 50 years ago, if it was me I would leave it that way. Maybe later in life on of your children will have a mint 100 year old gun and the story behind it. I carry fiberglass or synthetic stocked guns on the mountain but wood will work as well. Either way enjoy.

Comment

Hunt that rascal!

Comment

I've got 2 guns that were passed down. One, a Remington 1100 20ga. I cleaned it, shot a limit of dove with it, and it hasn't been shot since. The other, a Winchester .264, I bought a box of bullets, shot 2 at paper, 1 doe, and put it back in the safe along with 17 bullets. I don't know if I'll ever shoot them again, but I did at least want to hunt them both at least once.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X