No announcement yet.

glacier national park?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We did a hike up to Triple Divide Pass. Ranger said it was a 2 day hike, but it was a pretty easy overnighter. Cool place. Only place in the world where precipitation runs off into three different oceans.

Comment

Been there loved it don’t plan anything just let it happen.

Comment

thanks all. going the end of may staying 2 weeks.

Comment

Good question OP, I sure would like to get up there some day too. Thanks to all who posted this good info.

Comment

Check out iceberg lake
            It's a good 5 mile hike to get to it but worth the journey..it's on the far north side of the sun road
            Attached Files

Comment

And take a pistol.. it's legal to carry
              I saw so many bears and some big ones too
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                And take a pistol.. it's legal to carry
                I saw so many bears and some big ones too
                Yep, no way I'm going in grizzly country without a weapon

Comment

For restaurants, you might like Nickle Charlie's in Kalispel. Read reviews on Trip Advisor. The Springhill Suites by Marriot there was good also, although it has been many years since my trip. If possible, I would combine a trip to Canmore, Banff and Lake Louise if Canada will allow US tourists. You will need a passport. The Canadian Dollar is still weaker than the US dollar.

Comment

On most years Going to the Sun Road is not open until mid July due to snow removal. Also the last year east side entrance has been closed by the tribe. Park was very crowded last year due to restrictions. Kalispell newspaper online is a good resource for information about what is going on in the park.

Comment

When are you going? Wife and I been looking at places. Had considered Yellowstone.
                      Ready to go now, but was concerned to much snow/ice...

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                        Run up to Polebridge. You’ll leave the park for a little while on the drive up if you drive from the west end of the park. There’s a little souvenir store and restaurant about 2 miles before Polebridge on the north side of the road. Best Huckleberry pie you’ll ever have, and worth the trip alone. Polebridge is a pretty cool little place as well.
                        I'm heading that was in Mid July with the wife. We plan to stay about 4-5 miles south of Polebridge. Is that a good location to stay at? We may be staying 3-4 nights.

Is there some other place 3-6 hours south of GNP to stay a night or two at?

Comment

Another consideration is time your trip with the mosquito hatch if possible. Avoid at all costs. I was told this by someone I was booking a house at last week.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                            Run up to Polebridge. You’ll leave the park for a little while on the drive up if you drive from the west end of the park. There’s a little souvenir store and restaurant about 2 miles before Polebridge on the north side of the road. Best Huckleberry pie you’ll ever have, and worth the trip alone. Polebridge is a pretty cool little place as well.
                            Yes, definitely take time for this. Good 20+ miles north off of GTS Rd...end up in the middle of nowhere, less than 20 miles from Canada border. Visit the Polebridge store for the pie and other really good sandwiches and such. Then drive up to Bowman Lake...wow! There are also a few others lakes right in this vicinity that you can drive/hike to...rough roads, but we made it in 2wd Expedition with no problems.

As someone else mentioned, GTS Rd doesn't fully open until mid-June or July....but we drove it about halfway heading north out of Kalispell. Many hiking trails to some beautiful glacier lakes.

Comment

Glacier NP is awesome.

If you're the hiking type, I recommend staying on the east side of the park, as it has the best hikes. The west side has better amenities but is much more crowded.

Babb has a hotel near the Many Glacier Entrance if you don't care about luxury, which is the entrance to get to the trailheads for Iceberg Lake (mentioned above) and Upper Grinnel Glacier Lake (I think the best hike in the park).

I think Glacier is probably the best NP for hiking, so if you're willing and able get out there and do it. Stunning views on the east side of the park.

Westside has some easier hikes with views proportional to the difficulty of the hike.

** Edit ** FYI - My profile Picture was taken on the hike to Upper Grinnel Lake

Comment

Without knowing your physical capabilities; if you're not able to do ±10-mile strenuous hikes, I would recommend the Banff area in Canada to get great views with less hiking (but it is crowded).

You can fly to Calgary cheaply, drive to Banff. The surrounding towns are really cool. There's another Canadian National Park on the border of US/CA called Waterton that has some great views and isn't very crowded. And you could even couple the trip with Glacier pretty easily as it's not a long drive south across the US/CA border. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X