X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aptitude test.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
      This is a skilled trade. Blue collar. Hourly. Non supervisory.

For this type of position, my main concern would be why they are looking for a new job. Previous employer probably not going to let go of a good one easy.

Also can ask about their long term career goals, and how they plan to achieve them.

If you want to go the extra mile, ask for professional AND personal references. Professional may be limited on what they can tell you/answer. The type of personal reference someone puts down can tell you a lot about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
        References from previous employers...pay attn to their replies.

Recommendation letters....confirmed.
        I rarely if ever check references. Have you ever listed someone as a reference that's going to say you're a bad employee and poor performer?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JBJTX81 View Post
          I rarely if ever check references. Have you ever listed someone as a reference that's going to say you're a bad employee and poor performer?

You’d be surprised how many people don’t have three good references. It’s pretty easy to see through the BS if you spend 10 minutes talking to someone and ask for examples when they say “Jimbo is one of the hardest working guys I know.” Never call the first person on the list, though.

Comment

It's a crap shoot man. I've hired hundreds if not thousands of employees over the years. Some of the best folks at interview lasted 60-90 days. Some of the more skeptical candidates turned out amazing.

Agree with post above. Most folks that played sports or were military fared better.

Comment

Originally posted by J-5 View Post
              One thing is, when they come inside the office, stall them and go inspect their vehicle. If they don’t have a clean vehicle that is taken care of, they won’t care for your stuff either. It has nothing to do with how old or expensive, mainly with how well it’s kept. Trash everywhere inside and dirty isn’t a good sign. It doesn’t cost much to clean. Its more about taking pride in your belongings.
              My opinion this is not the case. Some people treat vehicles as a tool some people are **** about keeping them clean. I dont think it's any reflection on the type of employee they will be.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
                I’m not a jock, but I’ve found the guys I’ve hired that played sports were harder working, easier to train, and didn’t get their feelings hurt easily compared to those that didn’t.

I came to this realization when I had a couple lacrosse players staining boards out in the sun on a 100 degree day. I couldn’t get them to come inside and take a water break. I asked them if it was any hotter than being in a lacrosse helmet and they said “nope.” They were just happy to be making money.

This.

Comment

Maybe its my biases? If someone has 20+yrs and show the slightest signs of burnout, I shut down. ( experience is required but long term experience often leads to attitude and lack of drive ) Or too few years, for obvious reasons...if they seem motivated and want to please, accommodating I like it. ( but fakers and liars know to play this game )

Finding someone with skill and without deep personal issues, that actually wants to work.......needle in a haystack

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                    Aptitude test.
                    It seems like aptitude or ability are only the first part of the issue. Some have the skills, but can't come to work on time, or every day. Or can't stay on task and hammer it out day after day etc

Comment

Sales positions seem to be easier to hire for.......either the person has been a top performer or that have not. Not what you are dealing with but just saying.......I would look for recommendation letters from previous Mgmt members that include email and phone numbers. People who are willing to provide that information typically have nothing to hide. Also, is the person re-hirable at their last company they worked for.

Comment

In your case you might be better off going to someone already doing the job well and recruit them.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post

Finding someone with skill and without deep personal issues, that actually wants to work.......needle in a haystack
                          The company I ran the welding shop for, I was employee #154. When I left that company after 18 years we were on employee #4000 and something. We went through a lot of haystacks.

Comment

Originally posted by J-5 View Post
                            One thing is, when they come inside the office, stall them and go inspect their vehicle. If they don’t have a clean vehicle that is taken care of, they won’t care for your stuff either. It has nothing to do with how old or expensive, mainly with how well it’s kept. Trash everywhere inside and dirty isn’t a good sign. It doesn’t cost much to clean. Its more about taking pride in your belongings.
                            Had a customer that would do this. Secretary would let him know when they had arrived and he'd go inspect the vehicle.

Comment

I found where we were missing things was placing too much value on experience and or skills. Those are important aspects but not nearly as important as the cultural/behavioral fit.

If someone had the cultural likeness that you desire you can easily teach them the craft. Doesn’t matter how great someone is or how much experience they have if they end up being a problem or cancer.

Line out some good culture type questions and place say a value percentage on it. Do the same on experience and skills. It will show you the talent you want to hire. If you are interested there are some really basic culture type question to ask that can lead down several different paths. This will expose their mindset and beliefs.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                                Have someone else you trust sit in and/or participate in the interviews. Really “reading” a person while your in the process of having a conversation/interviewing/selling a person is a skill. It amazing what you can pick up on with people when you’re watching two people converse while being somewhat of an observer at different parts of the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                                This is exactly what I do when I'm conducting interviews. I'll have another employee interview with me. I'll lead with a few basic questions and then let my co-worker ask most of the rest.... Then I sit and observe and chime in whenever I see fit or want to ask a question. I get to spend a lot of the interview reading into the person.

Comment

Working...
                                X