No announcement yet.

4 wheel drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolutely, I'll never own another truck without 4x4. Have enjoyed pulling a few others out of situations. Even used 4 low to pull my live oak back straight after a storm.

Comment

Originally posted by RedRocker View Post
      I drive like I don't have any brakes on snow & ice, because you really don't. Downshift & apply brakes lightly to stop, needless to say don't be hauling butt to begin with.

^^^^
      This guy really gets it. Driving on ice and snow isn't the same as your Daily Daytona to work and back.

Comment

First time driving on a ice road this bad this morning. Only 16 miles to work. If not for 4wd, I wouldn’t have made it out of the driveway. I only slid once. Thank goodness no vehicles coming from opposite direction because I slide over in the other lane, but was able to move back to my lane fairly quickly.

Comment

Yes

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
            4x4 on ice is no better than 2 wheel drive unless you are chained up or have studded snow tires.
            On top of that, being in a 4x4 gives a lot of people a false sense of security which then turns into driving too fast for the conditions, ultimately ending in a bad situation.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
            Agree with most of this but 4wd is definitely better even on ice when your backend starts sliding around and not tracking with the front. I’ve experienced this many times in the mountains and engaging 4wd makes the vehicle track better.

Comment

Quite possibly the dumbest question in TBH history. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post

Bingo

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post

You ain’t right! lol...but you ain’t wrong [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Yes

Comment

This whole ordeal have driven in the worst conditions round trip of about 100 miles several times in a front wheel drive VW passat with out the slightest trouble.
                        I have seen several 4x4's in the ditch, many cars and SUV's as well.
                        I think the key is having weight in the drive wheels like a front wheel drive car.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                          This whole ordeal have driven in the worst conditions round trip of about 100 miles several times in a front wheel drive VW passat with out the slightest trouble.
                          I have seen several 4x4's in the ditch, many cars and SUV's as well.
                          I think the key is having weight in the drive wheels like a front wheel drive car.
                          Having your front wheels pulling the front end whichever way you steer is the key.
                          That's why front wheel drives do so good in these conditions.
                          I don't think a front a wheel drive has anymore weight on the front end than a 4x4 truck, could be wrong on that though.

Comment

Well I'm sold.

Need to save up about $10K to get one with a trade in on what I have now, but will upgrade to 4WD in the future. And like many of you, going forward the vehicles I drive will have it.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                              Having your front wheels pulling the front end whichever way you steer is the key.
                              That's why front wheel drives do so good in these conditions.
                              I don't think a front a wheel drive has anymore weight on the front end than a 4x4 truck, could be wrong on that though.

Thats true but it also does not have a light weight rear end trying to push.

Comment

Great advice from all on driving around in these conditions.

I have a long wheel base 2WD Dodge 3/4 ton with a 5.9 and I have really had to learn where I can and can't drive it in normal wet conditions. It will literally get stuck on a cat ****. I do have a winch on my truck for those inconvenient situations when needed, which is very rare for the above mentioned reasons.

We got somewhere around 20 inches of the white stuff here and all of our vehicles are RWD so I was having a real come to Jesus meeting with myself on why I don't have a 4WD.

I simple don't need one until we get this stuff every 20 years.
                                I did happen to have a pair of snow chains that I found in my dads stuff after he died and without them I would still not be able to get out of my driveway to this day.

My wife is a specialized RN and my son and I are LEO so I've been shuttling us all to work.

I still would like to have a 4WD one day but I'll say this.......

Snow chains are AMAZING!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X