Guest Mistake Stories...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kmack View Post

My thinking was that its head was the key to killing it, but the actual process is what elluded me. I knelt down and proceeded to (try to) smash its head in with the butt of the shotgun! I must have looked like I was digging for oil with my gun!

wham-wham-wham-wham-wham (the dove is still looking at me...)

wham-wham-wham-wham-wham "What the *eff* are you doing!?!"

"I'm trying to kill it!"

I swear for the next few years I was only invited to dove hunts for shear entertainment value as the re-enactments of that afternoon were always well embellished!

I have gotten better over the years...
    Haha! I love it.. great story.. thx for telling

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Comment

It's fun for me to tell that one, I have to laugh at myself!
      We've all been that FNG (new guy) at some point in our lives!

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicket Luke View Post
        Ok I got one from opening day 2020. I have 3 little brothers 1 is an avid bowhunter, one doe not hunt and one is filthy casual. Last year on opening day he gets to the lease late and does not have time to shoot which he has done very little of. The next morning I give him my Steyr .260 Rem because it is such an easy rifle to shoot even for a noob. Not 10 min after I drop him off I hear a shot and he comes over the radio and says he killed a pig. Awesome one shot one kill pig down, I kill a 2.5yo spike the same morning and all is well. Fast forward to this year and my little bro shows up late to the hunt same as last year. I explain the 13" rule again give him the .260 and put him in the same blind (a pig Hotspot) I did not account for the fact that this stand had been logged this summer and now you could see 400 yards where before you could only see 70 to the feeder. I go out to my stand that night and just as I get off my 4wheeler boom. Little bro comes on the radio and says I shot a deer. I say is it down? He says yeah but its kicking.... oh it's getting up! Shoot again I say quickly. He comes back and says it's too late he already made it to the creek bottom outta sight. I say was it a doe? He says no it was a buck. Im a little confused because the only buck I had seen on cam there in months was a fat little spike. I said was it that little spike? He says no I don't think so.... Oh no Im thinking. I ask did it have one unbranched antler? Little Bro "Whats a branched antler?" I tell him to stay in the stand Im on my way. I get to the stand and ask where the deer was standing when he shot. He points to a spot almost 300 yards from the stand. He had horns I know that he says (Me Face In Palm) IDK what to think so we go to where the deer fell and there is blood everywhere. I am sure it was hit hard so I follow the blood my .357 in hand thinking for sure we are about to clean a 10" fork horn in the backyard. There laying stone dead in the creek bottom 30 yards away is a 14" 3.5yo 8 point. He says did I do ok? I finally exhale and say yeah kid your fine, 2 shots 2 kills some guys have all the luck. Needless to say I am making him practice shooting and deer ageing/point counting/spread judging alot this next off season.
        Judging by pics looks like “Noob” made a great shot and job well done on the buck no matter the age. Congrats to him. I wouldn’t consider that a mistake but a good on you for getting him out in the woods. Nice 9pt

Comment

I'll add one of my stories. Except this one is about ME! Not a deer hunting story, but bird hunting.

It was probably '98 and it was the first time I'd been dove hunting. Invite came from a co-worker and some of his buddies on family land out in Floresville. I had done some trap and skeet, so I was familiar with the concepts for bird hunting, just had never been.

Anyway, things were going good and I had some kills. About an hour into the hunt and with me hunkered down in deep grass in the middle of a field, I finally got my first non-kill dove. It was lying there on the ground still alive. My buddy was about 80 yds away on the tree line, so I yelled out asking what I should do... "Just kill it!" was the response.

I sat there for about a minute pondering the issue in front of me...

Blow it's head off at point blank range with the 12ga? Probably not going to leave anything left of the dove.

Step on it? Probably wouldn't work.

(The dove kept looking at me trying to figure what kind of idiot I was for taking so long...)

Then I hear only a part of something.. "...it's head!"

Oh...OK! (This is the part that even after all these years, I have yet to live down)

My thinking was that its head was the key to killing it, but the actual process is what elluded me. I knelt down and proceeded to (try to) smash its head in with the butt of the shotgun! I must have looked like I was digging for oil with my gun!

"I'm trying to kill it!"

I swear for the next few years I was only invited to dove hunts for shear entertainment value as the re-enactments of that afternoon were always well embellished!

This makes me smile. I have a buddy that took a guy dove hunting this year. Guest is an extremely intelligent guy which is what makes it great.

Downs a dove thats still hopping around. He's told to kill it like you were. Stares at the bird with a quizzical look for a few moments then levels the shotgun and blows him away point blank [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

It's fun for me to tell that one, I have to laugh at myself!
            We've all been that FNG (new guy) at some point in our lives!
            Great story. The best part is it can be reenacted around the campfire after a few drinks.

Comment

Guest Mistake Stories...

I'll add one of my stories. Except this one is about ME! Not a deer hunting story, but bird hunting.

It was probably '98 and it was the first time I'd been dove hunting. Invite came from a co-worker and some of his buddies on family land out in Floresville. I had done some trap and skeet, so I was familiar with the concepts for bird hunting, just had never been.

Anyway, things were going good and I had some kills. About an hour into the hunt and with me hunkered down in deep grass in the middle of a field, I finally got my first non-kill dove. It was lying there on the ground still alive. My buddy was about 80 yds away on the tree line, so I yelled out asking what I should do... "Just kill it!" was the response.

I sat there for about a minute pondering the issue in front of me...
              Blow it's head off at point blank range with the 12ga? Probably not going to leave anything left of the dove.
              Step on it? Probably wouldn't work.
              (The dove kept looking at me trying to figure what kind of idiot I was for taking so long...)
              Then I hear only a part of something.. "...it's head!"

Oh...OK! (This is the part that even after all these years, I have yet to live down)

"I'm trying to kill it!"

Possibly the funniest chit I’ve ever read!![emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787] You’re awesome for sharing...I just knew you were gonna blow it away[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                Great story. The best part is it can be reenacted around the campfire after a few drinks.
                ...usually starts before the drinks!

And then moves onto the story about the dove that was shot twice!

That one was the next year and I had a vest full of birds that I dropped off at the truck and put in the cooler. I then headed back to the tree line for more birds.

About 40 minutes later, we all convened at the trucks for some drinks. The "above" story started for some of those that weren't there the year before (of course). At that time (with me laughing also) I started to put a couple more birds into my cooler. Open up the cooler and a white-wing flies out, buzzes my head, more "what the *eff*'s" are yelled, and then a shotgun blast!

My friend still happened to be holding his gun and got the 2nd shot on the bird!

"That's how you kill a bird, not beat it's head into the ground!"

I swear to this day all the birds I put in that cooler were dead and stiff! Not sure how sitting on ice for over half an hour revived just that one!
                Last edited by kmack; 12-17-2020, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Several years ago I was hunting a high fence ranch with very strict management rules. We needed to take some doe off the place and we were allowed to have guest come in to kill them. I had a friend that was constantly asking me for deer meat so I called and invited him to come shoot one himself. My oldest son was 13 at the time and is a better hunter than most grown men. He sat with my friend while I was with another guy a few hundred yards away. It was right a daylight I heard a shot and my son text that the friend shot at a doe but are unsure if he hit it. Before I can text back I hear three quick shots. I text again asking what is going on. No answer. I hear one more shot and then a few seconds and then three more shots. I got on the phone and called him. My son answered in a panic. He said that the "friend" kept saying that he missed the deer but kept shooting. Once he ran out of shells then he took my sons rifle and shot three more times with it. He finally had a deer down that he could see. I got the friend on the phone and told him not to fire another shot. I was heading that way. Once I got there I could tell the my son knew something was wrong. I pulled him aside and asked him to tell me the story. He said that the friend assumed that he missed the deer with each shot. But would then see another deer running and say there she is and fire off a few more shots.

So I told them all to stay at the truck and went to see what I could find. After walking to the feeder it looked like a war zone. There was blood everywhere. This guy had shot 5 deer, (3 doe, 1 nubbin and a 3 point buck). After talking with the ranch manager I agreed that the bucks would be mine for the year and the doe were needed to meet the MLD tags we needed to fill. The friend wanted to meat but I told him to get out and never let me see him again. That was my last year on that place. I just lost interest in hunting for awhile after that.

Comment

What an idiot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

One of the best ever threads on TBH! If you need a laugh or pick me up just start reading!

Comment

This is a good one...

I was 18 at the time and have hunted a friends ranch near Freer for many years. Well one morning I got the gate keys to take out a friend who’s never been hunting for a morning hunt. This was my first time hunting without my older brother and our family friend (ranch owner). So we pack up my single cab 1985 S10 truck and head to the gate around 5:00AM. We are driving down the main caliche road and its very foggy and very dark. I know I’m approaching the main gate but I can’t quite remember where it’s at. We are driving around 15-20 mph and BAMM! My truck slams in to the middle of the main gate pole (mind you this is a giant steel pipe, that’s probably 8-10 feet above ground). My truck hits it so hard that bends the pipe back and now I got a smashed grill. I knew I was going to be in some sh8T but decided well lets hunt, we are here anyway.

Hang in there, the story gets better.

I direct my buddy to his blind and I head to mine while it’s still dark and foggy. Sunrises and I see a silhouette of a doe under the feeder. I can barely see her because the fog is super thick but I decide to shoot her with my .22-.250. I shoot and the doe runs off, it sounds like a miss as I didn’t hear the thud, just the long snap of missed shot. Later that morning I go to the feeder to see any blood or a doe, nothing. Oh well, guess I missed, I mean it sounded like a miss. Later that day my buddy didn’t see anything so we drive home. On the drive home my truck starts leaking transmission fluid. We stopped at AutoZone and filled it with more transmission fluid and “patched” the leak with a bandana. We make it home safely and have to explain the incident to my father, somehow I didn’t get my a8s whooped.

Later that night my brother and his friend (ranch owner) went for an afternoon hunt. He comes home that night and asks, "Did you shoot a doe?” I replied, “yes but I missed." He said, “No it was there, 35 yards from the feeder in the brush.” Turns out that I punched right through her hence “the sound of a miss.” That’s when I learned about the 4000 fps of a .22-.250.

A few nights later I get a visit from two of the owners of the ranch and ask me if I was drinking and driving and how the he[[ I hit that steel pole with so much force. I tell them that it was just foggy and I couldn’t see. They inform me that I’m no longer allowed to go on their ranch unless it’s with one of the owners. I felt so bad but also got off so easy.

I got so much cr8p from my brother and the ranch owners for the next few years.

Oh man…I still laugh at this story.
                        Last edited by piercebronkite; 12-17-2020, 01:37 PM.

Comment

This one still gets me today. We were doing our best to mange our lease with just a rifle, no protein. We had 5000 acres low fence of some of the best deer country Crockett county had to offer. After 4 years we were starting to see results, our top end bucks were 140–150. One of our lease members brought a guest and sat him in the camp house blind to shoot doe. You guessed it, he shot 3 year old typical 12 point. This buck was the only true 6x6 I’d ever seen, his G5 were pushing 5”. This ended up being the paid hunters trophy for the year. The worst thing about it was he just cut the head off, said he’d killed dozens of bucks bigger than the 12 point, but he could “use the meat”. What a ******!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tx.Fisher View Post
                            This one still gets me today. We were doing our best to mange our lease with just a rifle, no protein. We had 5000 acres low fence of some of the best deer country Crockett county had to offer. After 4 years we were starting to see results, our top end bucks were 140–150. One of our lease members brought a guest and sat him in the camp house blind to shoot doe. You guessed it, he shot 3 year old typical 12 point. This buck was the only true 6x6 I’d ever seen, his G5 were pushing 5”. This ended up being the paid hunters trophy for the year. The worst thing about it was he just cut the head off, said he’d killed dozens of bucks bigger than the 12 point, but he could “use the meat”. What a ******!!!
                            Should've nailed him for poaching. He was allowed a doe not buck. Taking an animal without consent. Many of these stories, I would've called the warden. Some were mistakes but others were blatant disregard

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Triple 7 View Post
                              Several years ago I was hunting a high fence ranch with very strict management rules. We needed to take some doe off the place and we were allowed to have guest come in to kill them. I had a friend that was constantly asking me for deer meat so I called and invited him to come shoot one himself. My oldest son was 13 at the time and is a better hunter than most grown men. He sat with my friend while I was with another guy a few hundred yards away. It was right a daylight I heard a shot and my son text that the friend shot at a doe but are unsure if he hit it. Before I can text back I hear three quick shots. I text again asking what is going on. No answer. I hear one more shot and then a few seconds and then three more shots. I got on the phone and called him. My son answered in a panic. He said that the "friend" kept saying that he missed the deer but kept shooting. Once he ran out of shells then he took my sons rifle and shot three more times with it. He finally had a deer down that he could see. I got the friend on the phone and told him not to fire another shot. I was heading that way. Once I got there I could tell the my son knew something was wrong. I pulled him aside and asked him to tell me the story. He said that the friend assumed that he missed the deer with each shot. But would then see another deer running and say there she is and fire off a few more shots.

So I told them all to stay at the truck and went to see what I could find. After walking to the feeder it looked like a war zone. There was blood everywhere. This guy had shot 5 deer, (3 doe, 1 nubbin and a 3 point buck). After talking with the ranch manager I agreed that the bucks would be mine for the year and the doe were needed to meet the MLD tags we needed to fill. The friend wanted to meat but I told him to get out and never let me see him again. That was my last year on that place. I just lost interest in hunting for awhile after that.

That guy deserved a buttstock to the nose.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgar View Post
                                Should've nailed him for poaching. He was allowed a doe not buck. Taking an animal without consent. Many of these stories, I would've called the warden. Some were mistakes but others were blatant disregard

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
                                My buddies and I that were on the the lease were all in our early 20’s, and the rest of the guys were in their 40’s and 50’s, including the lease manager. At the time, out of respect, we felt it wasn’t our place to voice our discontent. Looking back on it, I wish I’d said something though.

Comment

Working...
                                X